Ryan Tannehill Analytics Profile Video. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill Analytics Profile Video.

It's OK guys.

He is a closet Patriots fan, but hasn't come to grips with it. A tough thing to deal with.

We could take the No Name Defense, the '84 passing game, Zonk, Kiick, and Merc in the backfield, have Shula driving it all, and if we kept Tannehill as a backup to Dan and Bob, we would still see threads like this one from the OP.

Great analysis of Tannehill stats over his entire football career. The most important stats for QBs that actually determine win percentage are TD/INT ratio, QB rating,A/YA, Y/A.

What matters in QB statistics?

So, do you consider Gase to be a qualified judge of player ability? Of knowing who he can have success with?

When the introduction starts with the person pretty much dogging the person he's going to present "Analysis" on. You know it's going to be rather biased.

Last edited:
Damn.

Digital you must be getting sick of this bs to absokutely demolish this so badly lol

Jerry, why is it you only post things like this- claim "no narrative here" yet all of your posts have common themes- misunderstanding statistics, misrepresenting statistics, or just straight up opinions from blogs

It's laughable

Wow, where to start?

OK, this guy took a 5 minute analysis and squeezed it into only 25 minutes! Wow!

He mentions the people around Tannehill at least a dozen times ... he says how he has good receivers, which is a fair point, but he never once mentions that Tannehill had a horrible OL. That has been his team's defining statistic, and if you're doing an analysis that includes his teammates, it's THE most important part ... but hey, gloss over it if all you want to do is rationalize your point right? Most sacks of a rookie QB, not mentioned, check. Most sacks of a QB in his first two years, not mentioned, check. Most sacks of a QB in his first 3 years, not mentioned check. Top 10 worst protecting OL in the NFL history, not mentioned, check. Most sacks of a QB in his first 4 years, not mentioned, check. Suuuuuuuuuuure you took the team into account .... wink wink. Maybe your analysis should have mentioned this ... and then looked at his analytics for how fast he got the ball out, which improved from his rookie year and were actually good, because he was getting the ball out quickly. Yeah, but those stats don't rationalize your "analytics" so let's just throw those out right? The narrative is that Tannehill = bad, so why clutter it with knowledge that contradicts your point?

This one is very funny, but follow along. The Author can only find some stats for Tannehill's HIGH SCHOOL career, but rather than tell us the stats he found, he does two things: 1) Tells us that the most important stats are TD/INT and Completion %, which he couldn't find, and 2) then he blames Tannehill for not having good stats because the Author cannot find them. Umm, that's both circular reasoning and very unsound logic.

He shows the metrics for average NFL starting QB's collegiate performance (26) and NFL Pro Bowl threshold QB's collegiate performance (80), and then shows Tannehill's metric for that collegiate time period (89) which well exceeds the NFL Pro Bowl threshold, so that should be a good thing right? No, instead the Author decides to use the Author's inability to locate Tannehill's High School statistics to somehow infer that they must be bad if he cannot find them (wtf?) and then suggest that QB's that do not meet his metric in High School but do meet his metric in College tend to not be good NFL QB's? So let me get this straight ... you cannot find his HS stats so you ASSUME they are bad, INFER they suggest a negative consequence, but the only thing you are really basing your determination that he isn't good enough on is that he exceeded your metric for Pro Bowl NFL QB's ... so he was BETTER than the threshold for Pro Bowl NFL QB's so your inference is that he is not good enough? Ummm, that's biased analysis son, you need to learn more about how analytics works.

He resorts to the knee-jerk QBR and QB Ratings ... and calls it analytics ... well, if these are analytics, they're what we refer to as a starting point, not any sort of in-depth analytics. Again, use a holistic review when evaluating a position. This isn't baseball, where stats are very conducive to representing individual performance as at any given time there is only 1 batter. In the NFL, there are always 11 players on the other team and you require interaction with the 10 teammates of yours to effectively compete against the opposing 11. In Baseball, when I'm batting it is a defense that is not designed to stop my team, but only stop me, with minimal variances for possible men on base. It is the pitcher vs. me with an infield and outfield set vs. MY scouting report. When I'm in the field most transactions do not involve me (unless I'm a pitcher or catcher), so the few that do are a very small set of similar situations, ground ball, fly ball, bunt, double play, rinse and repeat. This makes for great individual stats. NFL Football requires more.

He never once mentioned the absence of a run game playing a part in how defenses covered him but he pounded home how the improvement Tannehill is making is all because of the WR's. Did he mention the TE situation? Ummm no, doesn't fit his narrative. According to this guy, Dak Prescott and Ryan Tannehill have the same offense around them ... sorry, but I disagree.

And another thing, don't stretch your video's out so darn much. We didn't get the first word of an analysis until the 3:00 mark, and you didn't even start talking about Tannehill in the NFL until like minute 8:00. Stop wasting people's time with this drivel. There are a lot of stats out there to be had ... use them!

This guy simply doesn't understand analytics. He found a few stats he likes and he tries to jump on them, the problem is that he doesn't even interpret them properly in many cases. He extrapolates far too much out of some, and he completely ignores major contributing factors. I hope someone one day takes him aside and explains football and the vitally important role that analytics can play when used correctly. But hey, don't just spew your narrative and throw a few stats in that fit your analysis ... actually use the information available and build an objective analytical analysis. What you've done here is basically garbage.

Post of the year. Thank you sir.
Can't wait for Tannehill to absolutely shred this year!

x2mem0.jpg

Wow, where to start?

OK, this guy took a 5 minute analysis and squeezed it into only 25 minutes! Wow!

He mentions the people around Tannehill at least a dozen times ... he says how he has good receivers, which is a fair point, but he never once mentions that Tannehill had a horrible OL. That has been his team's defining statistic, and if you're doing an analysis that includes his teammates, it's THE most important part ... but hey, gloss over it if all you want to do is rationalize your point right? Most sacks of a rookie QB, not mentioned, check. Most sacks of a QB in his first two years, not mentioned, check. Most sacks of a QB in his first 3 years, not mentioned check. Top 10 worst protecting OL in the NFL history, not mentioned, check. Most sacks of a QB in his first 4 years, not mentioned, check. Suuuuuuuuuuure you took the team into account .... wink wink. Maybe your analysis should have mentioned this ... and then looked at his analytics for how fast he got the ball out, which improved from his rookie year and were actually good, because he was getting the ball out quickly. Yeah, but those stats don't rationalize your "analytics" so let's just throw those out right? The narrative is that Tannehill = bad, so why clutter it with knowledge that contradicts your point?

This one is very funny, but follow along. The Author can only find some stats for Tannehill's HIGH SCHOOL career, but rather than tell us the stats he found, he does two things: 1) Tells us that the most important stats are TD/INT and Completion %, which he couldn't find, and 2) then he blames Tannehill for not having good stats because the Author cannot find them. Umm, that's both circular reasoning and very unsound logic.

He shows the metrics for average NFL starting QB's collegiate performance (26) and NFL Pro Bowl threshold QB's collegiate performance (80), and then shows Tannehill's metric for that collegiate time period (89) which well exceeds the NFL Pro Bowl threshold, so that should be a good thing right? No, instead the Author decides to use the Author's inability to locate Tannehill's High School statistics to somehow infer that they must be bad if he cannot find them (wtf?) and then suggest that QB's that do not meet his metric in High School but do meet his metric in College tend to not be good NFL QB's? So let me get this straight ... you cannot find his HS stats so you ASSUME they are bad, INFER they suggest a negative consequence, but the only thing you are really basing your determination that he isn't good enough on is that he exceeded your metric for Pro Bowl NFL QB's ... so he was BETTER than the threshold for Pro Bowl NFL QB's so your inference is that he is not good enough? Ummm, that's biased analysis son, you need to learn more about how analytics works.

He resorts to the knee-jerk QBR and QB Ratings ... and calls it analytics ... well, if these are analytics, they're what we refer to as a starting point, not any sort of in-depth analytics. Again, use a holistic review when evaluating a position. This isn't baseball, where stats are very conducive to representing individual performance as at any given time there is only 1 batter. In the NFL, there are always 11 players on the other team and you require interaction with the 10 teammates of yours to effectively compete against the opposing 11. In Baseball, when I'm batting it is a defense that is not designed to stop my team, but only stop me, with minimal variances for possible men on base. It is the pitcher vs. me with an infield and outfield set vs. MY scouting report. When I'm in the field most transactions do not involve me (unless I'm a pitcher or catcher), so the few that do are a very small set of similar situations, ground ball, fly ball, bunt, double play, rinse and repeat. This makes for great individual stats. NFL Football requires more.

He never once mentioned the absence of a run game playing a part in how defenses covered him but he pounded home how the improvement Tannehill is making is all because of the WR's. Did he mention the TE situation? Ummm no, doesn't fit his narrative. According to this guy, Dak Prescott and Ryan Tannehill have the same offense around them ... sorry, but I disagree.

And another thing, don't stretch your video's out so darn much. We didn't get the first word of an analysis until the 3:00 mark, and you didn't even start talking about Tannehill in the NFL until like minute 8:00. Stop wasting people's time with this drivel. There are a lot of stats out there to be had ... use them!

This guy simply doesn't understand analytics. He found a few stats he likes and he tries to jump on them, the problem is that he doesn't even interpret them properly in many cases. He extrapolates far too much out of some, and he completely ignores major contributing factors. I hope someone one day takes him aside and explains football and the vitally important role that analytics can play when used correctly. But hey, don't just spew your narrative and throw a few stats in that fit your analysis ... actually use the information available and build an objective analytical analysis. What you've done here is basically garbage.

cartoon-trophy-vector-illustration-30463606.jpg

The same YouTube guy did an analysis of Derek Carr and concluded that he's not great, just above average. He said he's s 10-16 guy. He also contradicted himself a lot by saying he's a franchise guy that eventually will be worth the $25 million due to other looming large contracts but most likely will never be a top 5 guy. His basis for all of this is because he over relies on YPA without considering coaching, play calling, blocking, route running, and drop percentage. Sound like someone we know???

Overall the guy is a box score analyst that uses stats in a vacuum by not taking any other "tape analysis" variables into consideration. He's just a guy who took an advanced statistics course and found an algorithm the "worked" a couple of time and now thinks it applies perfectly to every scenario. So far he's wrong about Landry, Tannehill, and now Carr. I wouldn't recommend clicking on any of his links
Not unless you like wasting time.

I don't think you watched that full video on DVP vs Landry because he choose Landry over Parker based on the Data( I don't agree with that) and the the Derek Carr video he is 100% I don't believe he is currently a top 5 QB; No he doesn't over rely on YPA per attempt ( I don't know where you got that from) the best QB stats are TD/INt Ratio, QB rating, A/YA , Y/A and Comp% so yards per attempt is 4th. Based on data Y/A is somewhat overrated.

Wow, where to start?

I think u misunderstood the vid; not even once in the vid he blames or said Tannehill had bad stats in high school, he said is was a big question mark because high school production combined with college production were huge Indicators of NFL success.

Tannehill's college production met the Pro Bowl threshold but with out the high school numbers he couldn't endorse Tannehill because college production was met to be combined with High School production. Going back to 1969 only 2 All Pro QBs didn't met both the High school production threshold and College production Threshold (Favre didn't meet the College production mark) so its extremely reliable. Based on Tannehill's NFL numbers he states that he's been an average QB and his TD/INT ratio has even been below average numerous times in NFL career.

Stats going all the way back to the 70s show that QB rating is a key indicator on how many wins a team will have.

Data shows elite QBs produce regardless of Talent around them.

the best QB stats are TD/INt Ratio, QB rating, A/YA , Y/A and Comp% so yards per attempt is 4th. Based on data Y/A is somewhat overrated.

Based on...? These "analytics"? Your opinion? I mean hell, you claimed it was significant having more air yards for a player, yet made no distinction of the fact he threw 100 more passes. Why is that? I'm not sure you have the best grasp on this stuff

and lol @ your response to digital's post.... what a fallacy. Why hasn't drew brees been elevating the saints to the playoffs the last 5 years? And nice job choosing not to address a single other thing he said

All right.

Tannehill has been decent. And he is getting better, MUCH better last year alone. New coach, new offense, so on and so forth.

The past is whatever. It can't be changed, so no sense dwelling on it. He is easily the best we have had since Marino. Bar none. And now he has a coach that backs him up, top end receivers, a sledgehammer running back, and a line that we all pray keeps its **** together.

So for all the "make or break" bullshit that we've heard (and said) in the past, this year truly is. Tannehill has been well set up to succeed this year. He will not be Marino Reloaded. More like Bob Griese with an arm, or Don Strock with wheels.

He's better set up than the 84 team, assuming the TE position comes around and the line clicks.

But even Marino didn't have all he needed to pan out in 1984.

And, like a guy named Terry Bradshaw once was, I'll bet he's sick of the **** and is ready to gut New England.

Back
Top Bottom