Ryan Tannehill Didn’t Consider Audible On Third-and-10 Versus Indy. Here’s Why | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill Didn’t Consider Audible On Third-and-10 Versus Indy. Here’s Why

Ira Windbag is about to pontificate on the matter on Gase Tannyhill radio
(WQAM).

So, Gase calls questionable plays, and it's rare that Tannehill questions them. He just rolls with the flow.
Got it!
Gase IS the problem with the pathetic play-calling on a regular basis.

Tanny wouldnt know what play to call. Besides, he probably loved the call, took the pressure off him .

I live in Los Angeles so I can't hear it - care to explain what was said?

Ira says its "capitulation football".
"if tanny doesnt audible is it that tanny doesnt trust tanny", he is still in the midst of his soliloquy. he also feels the Ds should have 'bravado' like the ancient Romans.
Hes going on and on as usual

Its so odd. He can do whats taught pretty well - ID'ing coverage, shift protections, hitting what he needs to hit in his reads, etc but when it comes to instinctual IQ or plays its not there. For his entire Dolphins career he has done what you said - Have green grass in front of him but not take it. Andy Dalton and Fitzpatrick who are not the athlete he is, take off more and get cheap 1st downs at a much higher rate.

Its just a weird situation to me, almost like he needs to be told to just play backyard football sometimes. Or he needs to go to someone like Reid or McVay where their schemes are so sound that he can continue to be who he is. I think he would've been a good fit in Kubiak's offense.

Honestly I just wish Gase would install a more vertical offense. It pisses me off to see how horizontal Gase wants to get. It must work in practice against these linebackers and secondary to make him want to push that offense still.

It's extremely difficult to call plays and be the head coach. There's always going to be a conflict of interest there. Head coaches who are their own play callers typically have a code - never give up your job as a play caller. It feels like firing yourself... Mike Holmgren advises coaches to never do this.

You have to let your bosses evaluate you as a head coach, but they'll never get a true evaluation of you as a head coach if you're also the play caller. Gase is evaluating himself as a head coach by being the play caller. You can't do that.

Ira Windbag wants Gase to let Tanny audible at will for these last 5 games so Ira can analyze Tannys 'football mind'.

:munch:

Its so odd. He can do whats taught pretty well - ID'ing coverage, shift protections, hitting what he needs to hit in his reads, etc but when it comes to instinctual IQ or plays its not there. For his entire Dolphins career he has done what you said - Have green grass in front of him but not take it. Andy Dalton and Fitzpatrick who are not the athlete he is, take off more and get cheap 1st downs at a much higher rate.

Its just a weird situation to me, almost like he needs to be told to just play backyard football sometimes. Or he needs to go to someone like Reid or McVay where their schemes are so sound that he can continue to be who he is. I think he would've been a good fit in Kubiak's offense.

Honestly I just wish Gase would install a more vertical offense. It pisses me off to see how horizontal Gase wants to get. It must work in practice against these linebackers and secondary to make him want to push that offense still.

Spot on. I was banking on development here over time and it just hasn’t happened. And it’s not like it’s a hard thing to bet on. And it is very odd. Like so odd I can’t really think of another example in the pros.

There’s some situational awareness stuff that seem missing post snap off script

It's extremely difficult to call plays and be the head coach. There's always going to be a conflict of interest there. Head coaches who are their own play callers typically have a code - never give up your job as a play caller. It feels like firing yourself... Mike Holmgren advises coaches to never do this.

You have to let your bosses evaluate you as a head coach, but they'll never get a true evaluation of you as a head coach if you're also the play caller. Gase is evaluating himself as a head coach by being the play caller. You can't do that.

I’ve been saying since week 2 Gase needs to hand over the playcalling to Loggains. We looked somewhat explosive when he called plays in the preseason game against the Falcons I think. Gase needs to be a coach not a glorified playcaller. If he wants to do that then he needs to step down and go back to being an OC.

Again, everyone keeps talking about that 3rd down play but imo the mistake was to run it on 1st down when the colts were totally expecting it. That was the down to pass and get a first down to and keep the clock moving. I'm talking about a PA short pass that would have most likely been wide open and didn't have to take much time either since we're talking about a short pass. But instead Gase called a play that all of Indiana(including the farmers) knew was coming but hey, we all know by now he plays trying not to lose instead of playing to win so that's what he did and he lost because of it.

Back
Top Bottom