Ryan Tannehill's deep ball looks extremely healthy this season | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill's deep ball looks extremely healthy this season

Actually Ryan is doing better this year with the deep throw. After 2 games it looks like he is 7 for 16 for 203 yards. He only had 9 long completions all of last season. He has always been around 30% for his career. Definitely an improvement at over 40%. Still no long TD's though. Last year we only attempted 42 deep throws the whole season but this year 16 in 2 games. Hell yes.

One issue though is the production in the 4th quarter. We are only 1 for 5 for 17 yards when the other team takes away our short passing game and stacks the box in the 4th. This is the same game plan we see every week and will continue to see until we hit some deep pass plays with the game on the line. Copycat league and until we burn some teams in the 4th they will continue to play all 11 within 20 yards of LOS with game on the line.

team hasnt even taken any true vertical shots play call wise...scramble drill roll outs where he heaves it up is wr breaking off the route and turning it up field

not wise to call vertical long developing shots without dion sims and albert looking like he does...hell the left side of the oline essentially dumpster fire

My problem with Tannehill. He seems to be of TWO minds...

Mind #1
There seems to be times when he plays so careful and too conservative. The numerous check down to the RB in the flats that almost guaranteed to get no yards. Especially, when you consider LM inability to break any tackles in the open field

Mind #2

He seems aggressive/decisive/like a Franchise QB..attacking down field. The beautiful throw to Matthews inbetween 20 defenders. The other one to Landry etc.

I swear you could almost predict what throw he's going to make based on his body language. On the check downs he seem "sacred" to pull the trigger. Either not confident in his ability to make the throw or just plain don't want to make a mistake. The down field throw he looks decisive..He just knows he has it( See 1st drive after half time) It's like a different Qb.

I also get the impression Lazor based on his press conference is having this problem with Tannehill. He emphasized several times that down the field plays are called. But, we go elsewhere with the ball because things aren't lined up perfect. Then he follows up the statement with pretty much this is the NFL and that happens...Almost signaling that you still have to take those shots.

Tannehill honestly needs to let lose and not be afraid to make mistakes...Test your limits! He NEEDS to push the ball more if he's to take that next step in his development.

Trust the throw and realize everything doesn't have to be and likely won't be perfect.

I also get the impression Lazor based on his press conference is having this problem with Tannehill. He emphasized several times that down the field plays are called. But, we go elsewhere with the ball because things aren't lined up perfect. Then he follows up the statement with pretty much this is the NFL and that happens...Almost signaling that you still have to take those shots.

I actually think this is code for "Kenny Stills ran a terrible route" and "Ryan got strip sacked." Those were the two obvious deep shots I saw yesterday.

Improving maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:
As of today, Tannehill is the best qb of that class - RG3, Luck and Wilson

I think he just looks better at everything since Campbell cured the team of the vaginitis Philbin had spread.

I didn't care about his two picks at Tenn because he seemed to be throwing the ball more naturally (not overthinking it) all game. And same thing happened yesterday. If Philbin was still coach I'm willing to bet the deep shot to Stills in the Tenn game would have sailed 3 yards too long and out of bounds, while the bomb to Parker (I know, didn't count) would have been underthrown or overthrown - and out of bounds. That don't make a mistake **** was just too much. He now looks like a complete NFL QB. **** Joe Philbin.

Back
Top Bottom