Ryan Tannehill's pocket awareness | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill's pocket awareness

number1fin

#onephin
Club Member
Reaction score
#17 has been criticized often around here for his pocket awareness, or lack thereof. Taking a look at the video below you'll see that most of the flak he receives is totally unfair. He's shown the ability to buy time and extend plays while also showing the skill needed to scramble for positive yardage. Needless to say, most of the talk that he's deficient in this area is completely overblown.

[video=youtube;IrZvPYlfev0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=IrZvPYlfev0[/video]

Someone can create the same video that shows his awareness is terrible. This video means nothing

Haveing a good LT will take care of a lot of that.

RT is not as bad as Henne was/is - but his pocket awareness is pretty poor.

Casual observation revealed that he has been holding the ball too long for two seasons - coaches complain, announcers complain and its plain to see.

He'll often take off running right into the arms of a defender.

He takes big blind side hits without any sense that the truck is coming.

He steps into traffic when launching a long ball which alters his throw.

He rushes at times when he does not need to.

Tannehill has pocket presence problems.

Some players, like Doug Williams was great passer when Gibbs built him a wall of an offensive line - so we can argue that Tannehill will be great if you build him a wall to pass behind - but that's not the conversation.

I argue that pocket presence cannot be taught...It Jedi warrior stuff - its a 6th sense...Tannehill does show these abilities sometimes too - although too infrequently...But for now I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say that your video above may be the seeds of his ability to develop his innate athletic intuition to be have much better mastery of pocket presence.

RT is not as bad as Henne was/is - but his pocket awareness is pretty poor.

Casual observation revealed that he has been holding the ball too long for two seasons - coaches complain, announcers complain and its plain to see.

He'll often take off running right into the arms of a defender.

He takes big blind side hits without any sense that the truck is coming.

He steps into traffic when launching a long ball which alters his throw.

He rushes at times when he does not need to.

Tannehill has pocket presence problems.

Some players, like Doug Williams was great passer when Gibbs built him a wall of an offensive line - so we can argue that Tannehill will be great if you build him a wall to pass behind - but that's not the conversation.

I argue that pocket presence cannot be taught...It Jedi warrior stuff - its a 6th sense...Tannehill does show these abilities sometimes too - although too infrequently...But for now I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say that your video above may be the seeds of his ability to develop his innate athletic intuition to be have much better mastery of pocket presence.
Keep in mind that when Ryan was drafted most experts said he'll need a couple years to really come into his own due to his lack of experience.

Also remember who he was throwing to his rookie season, and the little help he received year 2 in front of him and behind him.

Taking all of that into account I can't help but be astonished of the job he's done with so little to work with.

He's been durable and unfazed by all the obstacles thrown his way.

All things considered, the man deserves much more credit than he's gotten for the job he's done thus far.

For the most part...he is looking to throw downfield. He can run, and does on occasion. That keeps the defense honest. I can't wait for the season to begin.

Alex Marvez on Sirius NFL is actively slamming Tannehill for playing QB like a WR and being too slow to interpret the opposing Defenses. (I guess this comes with the lack of pocket awareness).
As the NFL continues to grow in popularity, we see the emergence of more in the media who will get people to watch/listen/read whatever they say/write by being as outlandish as possible. The sport is building up and tearing down the QBs in the media spotlight.
In Ryan Tannehill we have a good young QB who has many of the attributes and skills to be great. Last year we got him some weapons to throw to. This year we probably got him better protection (Albert with more to come in the Draft), a more creative OC in Bill Lazor plus the addition of Knowshon Moreno will allow more options and hopefully a better running game. It would be nice to get a decent TE as a seam threat.
The parts are coming together for Ryan to become very good. The best thing he can do is not watch/listen/read any of the media that are actively engaged to tear him down in the quest to get cheap sensational ratings. Idiots like Heath Evans, Skip Bayless, Jason LaCanfora, Alex Marvez are becoming the norm.

Last edited by a moderator:
#17 has been criticized often around here for his pocket awareness, or lack thereof. Taking a look at the video below you'll see that most of the flak he receives is totally unfair. He's shown the ability to buy time and extend plays while also showing the skill needed to scramble for positive yardage. Needless to say, most of the talk that he's deficient in this area is completely overblown.

[video=youtube;IrZvPYlfev0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=IrZvPYlfev0[/video]

Add to your original post the video of all Tannehills sacks. It's not till like sack 10 when he really just holds onto the ball too long. Majority of the time he steps up but our tackles give up inside position or our guards just get dominated.

I am so excited to see this kid progress even further this year. One thing I really am impressed with is how accurate he is on the run.

this video really showcases how bad the line was but tannehill always had his head downfield which is great and maybe he stays in the pocket too long but we all know he can run and he'll learn its only been 2 years. first year he had no weapons, last year it turns out he had the worst o line is the history of offensive lines. i still think he has everything it takes the win a championship but it depends on the people around him

Someone can create the same video that shows his awareness is terrible. This video means nothing

I don't even know why I'm even indulging you as you're so obviously a Wallace fanboy and only care about the team so long as Wallace is on it and he looks good, but the very definition of a "pocket" requires there to be one that has formed with enough time for a QB to either be enveloped or step up into it.

"no pocket" = "no pocket presence"

actually I do as it's a reason to post this graphic
2zhgj9v-1.jpg

[removed by mod]

I don't even know why I'm even indulging you as you're so obviously a Wallace fanboy and only care about the team so long as Wallace is on it and he looks good, but the very definition of a "pocket" requires there to be one that has formed with enough time for a QB to either be enveloped or step up into it.

"no pocket" = "no pocket presence"

actually I do as it's a reason to post this graphic
2zhgj9v-1.jpg

I am betting it is Mike Wallace himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom