Saban and BB | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban and BB

His Dudeness

Practice Squad
Reaction score
alright, we've heard how similar these two cats are and all the comparisons and blah blah.. but i'm interested to see how these guys are different.. mainly, defensively speaking, because our offense seems to be a get the ball down the field type. vertical passing. and we did draft a RB high in the draft, new england won 2 SBs without a quality RB and were a short-pass screen offense... so offensively there's a big difference in each approach, but i'm curious as to what they do differently defensively.

i'd have to say that the offense will be left mostly to linehan, and saban will have a huge say in the D. i would look for a lot more running than MInn did especially if ricky returns

saban is similar to BB but saban is coming in from college after being an asst to bill in cleveland 10+ years ago. will be interesting to see how saban does in the nfl, there maybe a learning curve but he will do well....

and we thank him for his great input telling bill about gay, marquise hill and others. now that kind of advice is going to come from weis at ND and from his buddy at fresno ......

From everything I've heard, Saban is considered to be one of the most brilliant defensive geniuses in the NFL. Bill Belichick is going to be tested this season (at offensive coordinator) now that Charlie Weis is gone. I don't think his coaching will result in another Super Bowl. Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennell are the one of the best in the business at what they do and the New England Patriots were a primary example of what GREAT COACHING and a GREAT TEAM (and team play) can do when put together. I think the odds are stacked against Belichick and for once I don't think he will be able to overcome it. Saban and Belicheck would be the best two comparisons of any two coaches. They did a pretty good job in rebuilding Cleveland when they were there together. They didn't turn them around immediately, but their philosophy made them a better team and they did a great job of rebuilding them (especially that defense). As for what they do differently, I think there's a lot of comparisons but I think Saban has the advantage there with more knowledge and a more natural instinct. Saban likes to use a lot of zone coverages, he used the 3-4 defense in LSU, and he likes BIG SIZED physical Linebackers as well as BIG SIZED Physical Corners. The similarities between the two are uncanny, while Belichick has the experience of coaching (head coach) in the NFL over Saban, I think Saban's biggest strength and biggest strength over Belichick would be his defensive knowledge. Both share the same philosphies and let us hope we have as much success here in Miami as Belicheck and the Patriots had in New England.

good points all around, to the pats fan, i dont think there will be much of a learning curve at all, since it's not like he's trying to make his college system work in the nfl (spurrior). He made his Nfl system work in College.

His Dudeness said:
good points all around, to the pats fan, i dont think there will be much of a learning curve at all, since it's not like he's trying to make his college system work in the nfl (spurrior). He made his Nfl system work in College.
Great point! I really liked that. "It's not like he's trying to make his college system work in the NFL... He made his NFL System work in college." I couldn't have said it better myself. That's great man, and it's the truth. :cooldude:

i can understand why many phin and other fans think that because the 2 coords are gone that the pats will not do as well, but there is a plan and Belichick said that the offensive coordinator role will be shared by a few coaches. He's not going to do it all himself. I think they don't want to bring in somebody new that will put in a new offense. They want to continue with what they know and since Charlie is in the NCAA, they don't have to worry about their playbook going to another NFL team. I also think that none of the current coaches are either ready or willing to take on the offensive coordinator position right now. So someone (Jeff Davidson?) is being groomed and will be given the job next year. I guess Dante turned down the promotion. He's been a successful NFL coach for 23 years but he doesn't like the limelight. also they added Pete Mangurian who was the OC for the Falcons 2 years ago. It is known that the Patriots have called games by commity on O for a number of years Dante Scarnecchia and Josh McDaniels have been a part of the group game planing for as long as they have been together.

the only way the pats dont win it all again is if brady goes down for an extended time.....:eek: flutie flakes is ok but hes no tommy

its not just that, it's that no matter who you are, you can't continue it forever. just the way it works in sports. plus, losing the 2 coordinators doesn't help.

you can add to it that he has placed experienced coaches in the highest positions under him to help compensate for any knowledge gaps from the years he has been out.

Patsdynasty, did BB develop crenell (sp?) or did he come to the job with the pedigree he now has? In other words, is BB more apt to develop his coahes, or more apt to recuit the most experienced?

I hope Saban can live up to all of the expectations. It seems unfair that they (media) keeps comparing the two when Saban hasn't been in the NFL in nearly 10 years. The media & the fans are gonna have to give him a few years to right the ship.

i never said forever but they have a great chance for another win this year, if u look at the pats roster it is stacked. the secondary and lbs, off linemen etc...

this team is more talented than any of the last 3 sb winners, with players added and players who were out all year last year coming back ....

how can you say that? not only have you lost the 2 coaches, but Ty Law and mr everything Troy Brown. your o-line has been better, and so have the linebackers (bruschi??)... and Ted Washington was the man. so i don't really agree with you, yes, you're a stacked team and are the favorites to win, but i like the past pats teams more.

His Dudeness said:
how can you say that? not only have you lost the 2 coaches, but Ty Law and mr everything Troy Brown. your o-line has been better, and so have the linebackers (bruschi??)... and Ted Washington was the man. so i don't really agree with you, yes, you're a stacked team and are the favorites to win, but i like the past pats teams more.

1st of all, ted wash left before last season and actually every year the pats lose key players but then they add key ones...

and troy will be back soon.. our o line is really set now, ashworth was out all last year hes back, and with the 2 in the draft they are well set there...

if u look at the roster and compare them to past ones, this team is more loaded....

and bruschi is probably coming back mid season that is the word anyways around boston but thats not official....

Back
Top Bottom