Saban Got Tremendous Value on Roth | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban Got Tremendous Value on Roth

Are you Coral Reefer in disguise? Do you have to attack someone just because they have a different viewpoint than you. Alot of people happen to agree with this view. You don't - big deal - two different opinions - why the attack?

I haven't seen anyone say Chris Long isn't a very good player or won't be a great pro. What people like myself have a problem with is his going #1 overall. We want Miami to get an IMPACT player and some of us don't feel Long is enough of one for the money the #1 pick will make. That's an opinion!

Bring something of substance to the table in your presentation and you won't have to get all upset about people pointing out how shallow and unfounded your view is.

Secondly, you have all the right in the world to feel that Long isn't the player Miami should take. Just don't openly present absurd reasoning as "he's a Roth Clone because he's the same height and weight". People are attacking it because it is a ridiculous angle.

I think Blue summed it up quite well and in simple terms when he said he'd offer Jake Long isn't worth the top pick because he's a clone of Robert Gallery and Tony Mandarich.

That argument would be just as shallow and baseless as the Roth Long comparisons.

Like most of what you write, this is simply untrue.

Genius, I think you can watch Chris Long's interview on www.nfl.com. I believe in that interview he's asked in light of his considering coming out last year but deciding not to after receiving a 2nd round grade how he is now being considered the top overall pick.

He said that your job is to improve year after year and if he watched game film of his from last year, he'd be disgusted with his play.

Simply untrue, huh?

I will come back here to check for how you respond to this, Genius.

This Roth vs Long thing is silly. I don't want to dig up the links, (they're in other threads) but some one posted their combine drill results. Roth was more than 6 tenths slower in the 3 cone and more than 2 tenths slower in the shuttle. He is no where near the athelete that Long is. He did not play anywhere near the level that Long did in college either.

Roth is not a horrible player, he had an poor season last year, but so did the defence as a whole. He showed flashes the year before last and I hope he continues to develope. But entering him into the debate about Long makes it hard for me to bother to listen to your other arguments. There are arguements for a pick other than C. Long, I don't agree, but there are arguements. This Roth thing is retarded.

This Roth vs Long thing is silly. I don't want to dig up the links, (they're in other threads) but some one posted their combine drill results. Roth was more than6 tenths slower in the 3 cone and more than 2 tenths slower in the shuttle. He is no where near the athelete that Long is. He did not play anywhere near the level that Long did in college either.

Roth is not a horrible player, he had an poor season last year, but so did the defence as a whole. He showed flashes the year before last and I hope he continues to develope. But entering him into the debate about Long makes it hard for me to bother to listen to your other arguments. There are arguements for a pick other than C. Long, I don't agree, but there are arguements. This Roth thing is retarded.

Thank you!

I agree Long is a better prospect than Roth, and that you can't really compare them... But don't discount Roth's body of work in college like a couple posts on here have. I have to think that part of the reason Saban jumped all over him is that he remembered the Capital One bowl all to well... in which Roth was in the backfield as much as the LSU runningbacks were.

Yes Long is a freak and I hope we get him... but how about we let Roth have a full season at full health before we throw him under the bus. Like someone else said above.... we were 1-15 this year... the defense as a whole was weak. He's shown improvement every year despite being inured part of this past season.

Genius, I think you can watch Chris Long's interview on www.nfl.com. I believe in that interview he's asked in light of his considering coming out last year but deciding not to after receiving a 2nd round grade how he is now being considered the top overall pick.

He said that your job is to improve year after year and if he watched game film of his from last year, he'd be disgusted with his play.

Simply untrue, huh?

I will come back here to check for how you respond to this, Genius.

Correct, he never considered coming out last year. And he likely would've been a late first round pick. Feel free to continue acting like you know what you're talking about when you clearly don't. Feel free to assume things based on questions a reporter asks a player, rather than what the player himself says. That kind of thinking is not going to get you very far in your chosen profession.

That kind of thinking is not going to get you very far in your chosen profession.

All right...all right.

I will refrain from spitting hearsay and opinion on these boards.

I set way too high a standard when I disclosed my career trajectory.

I still don't want Long. I don't know who we should take, maybe Jake, and I will not yet call Roth a bust.

I just wanted to point out that I'm very skeptical of Chris Long being the first overall pick. I'm sure he's a better athlete than Roth.

Is he a better athlete than Vernon Gholston?

All right...all right.

Is he a better athlete than Vernon Gholston?

Frankly, who cares. Both are superior athletes, whose athleticism is sufficient to make them the top players in the NFL at their position if they possess the requisite football ability and drive.

I don't agree that Long is a clone of Roth, and I don't agree Roth is a total bust yet. Our whole D-line sucked last year. Sucked. Lets see what happens when some tough coaches get in here with them.

But anyway, I know you guys are saying that the argumetn could be reversed by saying Jake Long is a clone of Gallery, but I don't think so. Gallery has a 31" arm length! Jake's are much longer (no pun intended).

I don't agree that Long is a clone of Roth, and I don't agree Roth is a total bust yet. Our whole D-line sucked last year. Sucked. Lets see what happens when some tough coaches get in here with them.

But anyway, I know you guys are saying that the argumetn could be reversed by saying Jake Long is a clone of Gallery, but I don't think so. Gallery has a 31" arm length! Jake's are much longer (no pun intended).

Also, and I can't believe nobody's mentioned this yet, Gallery's hair is way longer than Jake's.

Roth is in no way, a bust.

the guy has potential written all over him. last year our "D" sucked completely. if we add a top DT, LB, DB to our defense...Roth is gonna be great. frankly, im content with Roth/Wright and Taylor as our DE's, if we add a top DT, our DL should be great.

Spot on, Roth has not busted out as of yet, he was injured all year and he was productive as a part time player previously, so unlike Daniels and Hagan, Matt Roth is not even at _ _ st as of yet.

But anyway, I know you guys are saying that the argument could be reversed by saying Jake Long is a clone of Gallery, but I don't think so. Gallery has a 31" arm length! Jake's are much longer (no pun intended).

For some reason, my impression of Gallery is that he was soft, IMO the same cannot be said of Jake Long who is a drive blocking machine.

That said Jake Long is the wimpy pick, safe, easily signable, can play T for 10 yrs, but the #1 overall should do more then play like a good early second round pick, is it too much to ask that the #1 overall actually be..."Great"?

And also IMO, Spegg's premise is a great one "Don't believe the hype about Chris Long, look at what was said about Matt Roth". By call back to mind what was said about Roth, we do have a window about Chris Long and a consensus building around his selection at #1 overall.

Because like it or not, Matt Roth and Chris Long are not worlds apart on the majority of physical characteristics, both may have too much 'Tweener in them.

Back
Top Bottom