Saban hints that we'll take Alex Smith at #2? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban hints that we'll take Alex Smith at #2?

So far it seems that Saban likes Smith alot more then he likes the guys that can go #2. But that doesnt mean anything, Saban could be doing that to scare the Browns or any other team that wants Smith.

some people dont realize that no matter what age a QB they need playing time in the NFL to be successful... if a guy rides the bench for 10 years then finally gets a starters nod hes still gonna have to get accustomed to NFL game speed and stuff, he might be a good film guy but it'll take time to be a gamer...

if we draft alex smith, i think hes about a 3 year project, needs a lot of work on mechanics and footwork...

I'm not convinced one bit that Saban is set on Alex Smith. Not convinced he's set on a RB. Not convinced that we'll even keep the #2 pick! He has to be very open minded about this, and I think he's been doing a great job of fooling the media and fans and changing their minds every second as it seems to be around here. One thing I do know if Saban knows who he wants to draft at #2 he's not going to let the media and fans know it beforehand unless he has something up his sleeve.

Saban has said that he doesnt expect to win every game but that he wants to compete (something we didnt do with Feeley) in every game!

Winning and competing are two totally different words with totally different meanings!

Wake up people!

touborg said:
Rebuilding is reshuffling your team. All we have reshuffled is our coaches, our onfield talent is intact.

sorry, i was being facetious. it's hard to tell these days, i know...

Shifty187 said:
Saban has said that he doesnt expect to win every game but that he wants to compete (something we didnt do with Feeley) in every game!

Winning and competing are two totally different words with totally different meanings!

Wake up people!

"you play to WIN THE GAME!"
--Herman Edwards

you Feeley bashers are killing me! Feeley has done nothing to show that he doesn't deserve a chance at starting. Last year he threw some pretty bad picks, but I do recall him playing his butt off against both Seattle and New England. Feeley has the physical traits to play the position, what he needs is a solid OC and more time under center. He has only started like 16 NFL games. Correct me if I am wrong, but that is equivilent to just a second year player. Under Reid in Philly, he played well in the back up role behind McNabb. Reid's offensive scheme is considered one of the best in the NFL and Lineham's was the second best last year! Our OC position last year was awarded through default, hell I withdrew my name after Ricky retired :D. I guess what I am saying is Feeley struggled with no running game, an inept offensive line, and most of all a JOKE of an offensive cordinator. Hell we gave Fiedler how many chances, even when we had a running game. Coach Saban has assembled an outstanding coaching staff that I believe can make Feeley into a winning, not a hall of famer, QB. I mean look at the success Ferotte had under Lineham in Minnesota. We need a back Lamar Gordon and Sammy Morris are not even in the caliber of Ronnie Brown or Ricky Williams. But I also feel we will trade down to get picks, pending on the Surtain deal. I think we owe Feeley a sot and most of all...........IN NICK WE TRUST....we wanted and we got him!!!!!!!!!

DPlus47 said:
"you play to WIN THE GAME!"
--Herman Edwards

I agree but be reasonable!

Do u really think that we're gonna go from 4-12 to 11-5 (with or without a rook starting at QB) like most of the people on this site think we will?

Shifty187 said:

Do u really think that we're gonna go from 4-12 to 11-5 (with or without a rook starting at QB) like most of the people on this site think we will?

it's possible, but not probable. i'd be psyched to be in the hunt at the end, 8-8, 9-7. if a lot goes right, it could happen. i only expect the team to get better.

I feel that Saban is a guy that loves having opitons. If we make no secret about the fact that we want a RB at number two, then the option of trading down is pretty much gone. The way that you gain options is by making people guess at what you will do. The way you make people guess is to show interest in a variety of areas. QB is one of the more important postitions on a football team, so teams will fill justified in trading up to get one. In a draft full of good RBs you are not going to scare too many people by giving the impression that you may take a RB. By showing interest in Smith, we now have the option of drafting whoever we want at two, or trading down with a team that is desperate for a QB and believes we way draft the guy they want and need.

Shifty187 said:

The San Diego SuperChargers are an example of a team that had talent, but it just took some time for them to gel and the QB (that the org. and most fans had given up on) to come into his own. Not saying it will happen to us, but it is possible.

If he wants to compete this year, Id assume he wants to take a RB at #2, who historically have had the most success of any skill positions in the first year. In most contrast, QB's tend to have the longest maturation process. So I disagree with the initial post.

arsenal said:
some people dont realize that no matter what age a QB they need playing time in the NFL to be successful... if a guy rides the bench for 10 years then finally gets a starters nod hes still gonna have to get accustomed to NFL game speed and stuff, he might be a good film guy but it'll take time to be a gamer...

if we draft alex smith, i think hes about a 3 year project, needs a lot of work on mechanics and footwork...

Nah, Smith is extremely intelligent, no matter where you stand on AJ Feeley it shouldn't affect your evaluation of Smith. A player as bright as he is who was running an extremely complicated offense at Utah which required the QB to think fast and make decisions on every play would require a maximun of one year.

bfishusi said:
The San Diego SuperChargers are an example of a team that had talent, but it just took some time for them to gel and the QB (that the org. and most fans had given up on) to come into his own. Not saying it will happen to us, but it is possible.

Yes but Brees was a high pick, not a fifth rounder.

SkapePhin said:
Let me get this straight, Saban says he wants to compete this season, so in order to do that, he is going to start a rookie QB who ran primarily out of SHOTGUN throughout his college year to compete this year?

Does. Not. Compute.
Exactly!

Back
Top Bottom