Saban hints that we'll take Alex Smith at #2? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban hints that we'll take Alex Smith at #2?

Trench Knife

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
In every interview hes had since he took the job Saban has said that he wants to compete this season and that he thinks in order to compete we'll need a playmaker at QB. At 28 (Feeley) and 34 (Frerotte) Feeley and Frerotte are finished products and neither is a playmaker!

While most people seem to think that we need a RB (myself included) we already have a 3rd rounder invested in Gordon and Morris showed that hes a quality back!

Now that Alex Smith has had 2 great workouts (and the 9ers seem to be leaning towards Aaron Rodgers) im really starting to think that Smith will be the heir apparent to Marinos throne!

Was Frerotte brought in to compete for the starters role or was he brought in to take Smith under his wing and be a solid back up (who already knows Linehans system) if Smith gets hurt?

Thoughts?

Shifty187 said:
In every interview hes had since he took the job Saban has said that he wants to compete this season and that he thinks in order to compete we'll need a playmaker at QB. At 28 (Feeley) and 34 (Frerotte) Feeley and Frerotte are finished products and neither is a playmakers!

While most people seem to think that we need a RB (myself included) we already have a 3rd rounder invested in Gordon and Morris showed that hes a quality back!

Now that Alex Smith has had 2 great workouts (and the 9ers seem to be leaning towards Aaron Rodgers) im really starting to think that Smith will be the heir apparent to Marinos throne!

Was Frerotte brought in to compete for the starters role or was he brought in to take Smith under his wing and be a solid back up (who already knows Linehans system) if Smith gets hurt?

Thoughts?

that`s what I`ve been thinking and hope it`s for real

Shifty187 said:
In every interview hes had since he took the job Saban has said that he wants to compete this season and that he thinks in order to compete we'll need a playmaker at QB. At 28 (Feeley) and 34 (Frerotte) Feeley and Frerotte are finished products and neither is a playmakers!

Thoughts?

I think you might be right. Plus...I would like to add...our Offensive Coordinator, Linehan...recruited Alex Smith when Linehan was the OC for a college team (which I forgot)...it may have been Utah but I'm not sure...anyway...that's also a reason to suspect that we may take Alex Smith.

Go Fins!!!

Shifty187 said:
In every interview hes had since he took the job Saban has said that he wants to compete this season and that he thinks in order to compete we'll need a playmaker at QB. At 28 (Feeley) and 34 (Frerotte) Feeley and Frerotte are finished products and neither is a playmaker!

Thoughts?

Let me get this straight, Saban says he wants to compete this season, so in order to do that, he is going to start a rookie QB who ran primarily out of SHOTGUN throughout his college year to compete this year?

Does. Not. Compute.

I think its a possibility, but I also think its a bit of posturing for the draft! This is Sabans best quality, NO ONE KNOWS!!! I dont think he wants to spend a 1st and a 2nd on QB, but if he does hes our coach and I will stand behind his decision!

Shifty187 said:

they both showed they were quality BACK............UPS....there is a difference

why don't we just trade the pick for tim couch? and if tim's a free agent, let's pick him up and trade the pick for something else?

Oh God you people are h*rny for the next Marino

I think Nick "smokescreen" Saban has hinted at just about every top player in the draft. I like how he keeps everyone guessing, and no one really has a clue what he's going to do come draftday. Personally, I hope we get Brown at #2 and then get McPherson if we need to adress QB. Should we pick QB with our first pick, i'd go for Smith.

You really think Saban's going to start a rookie QB, who most feel is not a finished product yet, and actually think we'll have a chance to compete??

SkapePhin said:
Let me get this straight, Saban says he wants to compete this season, so in order to do that, he is going to start a rookie QB who ran primarily out of SHOTGUN throughout his college year to compete this year?

Does. Not. Compute.

True, but Smith is a very smart/accurate QB and there have been a few rook QB's over the last few seasons that have been pretty solid as 1st year starters!

Can u honestly say that Feeley and Frerotte are more accurate and better decision makers?

Noodle Arm said:
You really think Saban's going to start a rookie QB, who most feel is not a finished product yet, and actually think we'll have a chance to compete??

what noodle arm said... i have a question: how many junior QB's came out and succeeded right away? i think bernie kosar was an underclassman, but i'm not coming up with many others. it could be my memory, though.

Let me make it clear that I dont like Alex Smith and that I dont want him at #2!

All im sayn is that I think Saban is gonna take the guy at #2!

Noodle Arm said:

Maybe...

Feeley is a bum (blame it all on our OL and Wanny if u like) and Frerotte is a career backup!

Wasn't a certain Steelers qb a rookie in 2004. He did pretty good if you ask me. No reason Mr Smith could not do the same thing. So if Smith was drafted there is a chance he can start and be pretty darn good.

Back
Top Bottom