Saban inherited a 4-12 team ! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban inherited a 4-12 team !

If Saban truly believed that he inherited a 4-12 team, then what kept him from starting an immediate rebuild in his first season?? Fact is, Saban didn't see it that way, he thought we could contend with pretty much the same team we had....

He made very few roster adjustments in his first year, and that's not something a coach does when he thinks he's inherited a 4-12 team in my opinion.....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

lack of cap room is what kept him from blowing it up. Do you really think he wanted to pin his reputation on Reggie Howard?

Mangini inherited a 4-12 team too. And they're still alive for the playoffs on the second to last week of the season, more than could be said for last year's Dolphins team (and this year's team makes last year's team look like world beaters).

Stop making excuses for Saban. He made a handful of awful decisions this year-- with the QBs, with the offensive coordinator, with the team's overall malaise coming out of the gates that led to us being in a 1-6 hole before we even started playing at the level of a mediocre team.

If he turns it around, good. If not, then he's out of here (like the majority of college coaches who don't do a thing in the pros) and the Dolphins are right back where we started-- a bad team that needs to be rebuilt (and with JT and ZT three or four years older than they were when Saban took over).

Mangini inherited a 4-12 team too. And they're still alive for the playoffs on the second to last week of the season, more than could be said for last year's Dolphins team (and this year's team makes last year's team look like world beaters).

Stop making excuses for Saban. He made a handful of awful decisions this year-- with the QBs, with the offensive coordinator, with the team's overall malaise coming out of the gates that led to us being in a 1-6 hole before we even started playing at the level of a mediocre team.

If he turns it around, good. If not, then he's out of here (like the majority of college coaches who don't do a thing in the pros) and the Dolphins are right back where we started-- a bad team that needs to be rebuilt (and with JT and ZT three or four years older than they were when Saban took over).

So how do you expect us to do next year?

If Saban truly believed that he inherited a 4-12 team, then what kept him from starting an immediate rebuild in his first season?? Fact is, Saban didn't see it that way, he thought we could contend with pretty much the same team we had....

He made very few roster adjustments in his first year, and that's not something a coach does when he thinks he's inherited a 4-12 team in my opinion.....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

maybe because he didn't have the cap OR picks to do this madden like turnaround of roster...

lack of cap room is what kept him from blowing it up. Do you really think he wanted to pin his reputation on Reggie Howard?

maybe because he didn't have the cap OR picks to do this madden like turnaround of roster...

There's another good excuse for why we haven't made the playoffs in five years. You either dedicate yourself to rebuilding or you don't, and if your cap situation doesn't make it seem possible at the time, it's not going to get any better the more you prolong things, and wait for it to fix itself....

Saban has had two full off-seasons to make those kinds of rebuilding decisions, and he hasn't commited himself to following through in my opinion. He's been riding this wave of deceit, and counting on old school veterans to keep helping us stay afloat. It's obviously time for a new outlook, and a new direction in my opinion. Now the rest is up to Saban....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

There's another good excuse for why we haven't made the playoffs in five years. You either dedicate yourself to rebuilding or you don't, and if your cap situation doesn't make it seem possible at the time, it's not going to get any better the more you prolong things, and wait for it to fix itself....

Saban has had two full off-seasons to make those kinds of rebuilding decisions, and he hasn't commited himself to following through in my opinion. He's been riding this wave of deceit, and counting on old school veterans to keep helping us stay afloat. It's obviously time for a new outlook, and a new direction in my opinion. Now the rest is up to Saban....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

when he finally DID have some manuevering room...this last offseason, he took more action than I can recall in twenty years...to say there was no effort is to ignore what actually happened. It seems all you, "he didn't rebuild" guys ignore the reality and address it with your madden fantasies. Every single chance he got to upgrade our talent he has jumped on it...now, some haven't worked out for sure...but there was NO lack of effort.

when he finally DID have some manuevering room...this last offseason, he took more action than I can recall in twenty years...to say there was no effort is to ignore what actually happened. It seems all you, "he didn't rebuild" guys ignore the reality and address it with your madden fantasies. Every single chance he got to upgrade our talent he has jumped on it...now, some haven't worked out for sure...but there was NO lack of effort.

That's because what you consider rebuilding, is merely only treading water in my eyes....

PHINZ RULE!!!

The tried and true way of building a consistent winner year in and year out is through the draft. Free agency sucks. That field is littered with over-priced guys that their own team said, "you aren't worth it".

How many teams have gone the way of free agency and consistently won over the years. Occassionally, a team will pick up a "hot" free agent and do well the next year.

I'm really, really suprised that Saban went the free agency/trade route for QB. He should have kept Ferrotte for continuity, and drafted a QB to train. Furthermore, hire Don Strock as the QB coach. Isn't he looking for a job?

So how do you expect us to do next year?
At best 8-8 or 9-7 again (and no playoffs). Our division will be much tougher and so will our schedule so we could easily finish sub-.500. And since we still don't have a proven starting QB and we may still have a joke for an offensive coordinator (for continuity's sake, of course), once again we'll have a pathetic offense and have to hope the defense can win all of the games by themselves.

If Ricky comes back and performs at a high level it would certainly help. But there's no way to predict what's going to happen with him.

That's because what you consider rebuilding, is merely only treading water in my eyes....

PHINZ RULE!!!

ok...under the same constraints, what would YOU have done so differently? you beatched he did nothing and when I pointed out that in fact he did, you retreated into well, "I' didn't like it...so show us how "you" would have done it...

No cap? He made what was considered then the biggest move of the entire FA'cy, Daunte.

I don't have emotional attachments to the Fins players, coaches, alum, etc. I don't fall in love with players or records. I don't care about the perfect season, Shula's wins, Marino's passing records. My favorite "All-time" Dolphins are always the ones on the current team (or not). If we are building towards a winner, I support that. If we are not building towards a winner, I support changing those in charge.

Its not personal with Saban. He just hasn't made progress like I think he should and how others in his similar situation have.

Criticism is criticism. You don't have to love or hate someone to analyze their peformance. I guess some fans on this site didn't get that memo because people often get attacked for scrutinizing coach Saban or Daunte Culpepper or Ronnie Brown. TampaFinsFan01 makes a great point. We love coach Saban and we love our players but most of all we are DOLPHIN FANS. Don't forget that. It's not only our right to question our coach and our players but it's also our responsibility.

The 49ers were in far worse shape....but they DID make the cuts...and now are younger and in better shape cap wise, than the Dolphins.

Back
Top Bottom