Saban: No compromise on Surtain price/No Ricky update | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban: No compromise on Surtain price/No Ricky update

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/sports/colleges/mercer/11278856.htm
Saban laid out some hints about what the Dolphins may look to do in the draft, regarding their former star running back and how the quarterback competition will go.

Miami, 4-12 last season, has the second overall pick in the draft, and isn't slated to choose again until the third round. Trading down to collect more picks remains a strong option, yet Saban acknowledged that many projected first-round selections also piqued his interest.

"You make some mistakes if you just take need into consideration," Saban said. "Everybody, as a coach, would like to satisfy some need in the draft that you have, but when you're picking that high you better pick the player that has the most value to the organization long-term."
The Williams factor remains interesting. The NFL's leading rusher in 2002 still owes the team $8.6 million for breaching his contract when he unexpectedly retired last year, yet he and Saban have spoken at least once about his future. It's still a mystery, however, when, if or where Williams will ever play again.

"If I did talk to him, it would be confidential so I wouldn't tell you what we talked about," Saban said. "But I can tell you he's in India and I haven't talked to him. So I don't have any new information."
He also said a long-term deal may not be possible for cornerback Patrick Surtain, who has been mentioned in trade rumors - many involving Kansas City and Indianapolis.

The Dolphins can save about $6 million in salary cap space by trading Surtain, but Saban said he won't budge on what he's asking in return - presumably a high draft pick.

"If someone else wants to work a business deal for him to be on their team, fine, but we will not compromise on our price," said Saban, who added that he still wants Surtain with the Dolphins.
Also, tight end Randy McMichael is a candidate for a long-term deal; his contract expires at the end of the 2005 season - but again, only if the numbers make long-term sense.

"We'd like to get it done," Saban said, "but it's not fantasy football."

All the same things he has always talked about we may, but we may not. I like all this tight lipped thing, its a mind game.

Thanks Nublar. Great summary.

I never doubted that Saban would be in control of the Surtain trade and not be bullied or run scared to accept less than what is reasonable. It's refreshing to have our draft in the hands of someone who is not likely to be fooled or taken advantage.

I like Saban's vision of the team:

"What we want to have here ... is an overachieving team, a team that competes well, plays with good intangibles, toughness, togetherness, all those types of things," Dolphins coach Nick Saban said Thursday.

Dolphins football is going to fun again!

Hopefully this can put to rest the trade down for less threads. Saban's not the type of guy who is going to get ripped off.

Im glad we wont compromise, Chiefs better anti up for screw them. I liked Sabans comment on fantasy football also :)

Nublar7 said:
Crap, I forgot all about that. lol. I might do it. When would you need the money by?

Not right now or anytime soon. For the people out of state, I'm going to mail the papers about 6 days before the draft. You send one back with your picks and the ten dollars.

It's gonna be really fun.

...and it's the first round. Picks 1-32.

I bet Saban is one HECKUVA Fantasy Football player!

The Surtain card can be used during the draft as part of a trade for more picks.The Chiefs may end up regretting their stance.

although he hasnt said much, hasnt Saban been saying alot to the media lately?

recently, it seems like he has had quotes or interviews every day.

again, he isnt saying anything, but he is talking alot.

They are after him all the time, and he is a gentleman, he is polite he has to talk to the media, altough he isnt saying anything.

Sounds like KC better ante up or their defense will suck as usual. Saban will not back down, and will either get what he wants or the fins will have their pro bowl corners intact for one more year. Go Saban.

Back
Top Bottom