Saban Or Jimmy | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban Or Jimmy

finmann

Pro Bowler
Club Member
Reaction score
Saban reminds me so much of Jimmy johnson. They both came to the Phins as the next savior to take us to the SB, they are both disciplinarians, they love to stock pile draft picks, they are both defence minded coaches and they are great evaluators of talent. Who do guys think is the better coach for the phins right now? Jimmy (if he were to return)or Saban.

How can we even say whos a better coach when Nick hasnt even coached a game yet?

I also wouldnt qualify Saban as a disciplinarian or a defensive minded coach. hes not a tom coughlin. He is very meticulous and very intense though from what Ive seen of him in college. He also loves the passing game when he has the personel to make it work.
As a Gm id say hes proving himself very worthy. He shows hes in total control at all times.

I couldn't stand Jimmy Johnson. I'm not from Florida, so that may be a reason, but I just considered him a slime ball. He always talked about being a psychologist and he couldn't even counsel himself properly. Saban is definitely better. He has something to prove in the NFL. Jimmy already had proven himself.

When I say he is better, I mean he is better for the Dolphins situation. Of course, I don't know if he is a better coach yet or not.

Saban, and it's not even close. JJ was a motivator while Saban is a teacher. Most of JJ's success depends on his assistants b/c he's not a great (probably not even good) Xs and Os guy (JJ, himself, has said this many times). While Saban can motivate, he is considered one of the best football minds in the game.

BTW you did forget one similarity. They both have a psychology background.

Jimmy was the begining of the Downfall. I wish he never came to Miami.
John Avery? JR Tolliver? ( if I am correct on the second guy's name)

Stefins said:

Yep, Jimmy got rid of our offense, brought us Wanny!

I wish he never came!

Stefins said:
Tolver was a Wanny pick. Jimmy was responsible for some real gems like Avery, JJ Johnson, Yatil who may have been ok but we'll never know.

Stefins said:

J.R. Tolver

JJ certainly had his draft failures, but remember.... Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas, Sam Madison, O. Gadsden, Brock Marion, & Pat Surtain were all brought in by Jimmy.

It's to early to say, but I think Saban will keep fighting until the bitter end, unlike Jimmy who quit on the team way before he ever resigned.

Boik14 said:
How can we even say whos a better coach when Nick hasnt even coached a game yet?

My thoughts exactly. I would like to have some optimism and say Saban, but I think it's far too early to tell considering he hasn't coached one game for us. I have a feeling that this comparison will go on for awhile because no one's going to be comparing either one of them to Wannstedt for the simple fact, it's no competition. :D

IMO Saban by a land slide. Jimmy seemed more concerned with looking like a genious than winning games. I don't think Nick gives a crap what anybody thinks as long as his team does well. Johnson did draft some players that we love but he made more than his share of mistakes by trying too hard to find that gem in the rough instead of picking a player that everybody knew about.

finmann said:
Saban reminds me so much of Jimmy johnson. They both came to the Phins as the next savior to take us to the SB, they are both disciplinarians, they love to stock pile draft picks, they are both defence minded coaches and they are great evaluators of talent. Who do guys think is the better coach for the phins right now? Jimmy (if he were to return)or Saban.

I hope he does not remind me of Saban...Jimmy is a quitter. I don't see that in Saban...

Jimmy is possibly one of the most underated greatest coaches ever...

when he came to the dolphins he cut bait
the dolphins were a bunch of premadonas lets not forget.

Jimmy may not have gotten the phins back to the bowl...
but he took a team in trouble and never NEVER had a loosing season.

it was his work that got the dolphins those 10-6 and 11-5 seasons that Wanny enjoyed

HobitFin said:
Jimmy is possibly one of the most underated greatest coaches ever...

when he came to the dolphins he cut bait
the dolphins were a bunch of premadonas lets not forget.

Jimmy may not have gotten the phins back to the bowl...
but he took a team in trouble and never NEVER had a loosing season.

it was his work that got the dolphins those 10-6 and 11-5 seasons that Wanny enjoyed

i agree, the only thing I have against Jimmy is that he quit before the job was done.

Back
Top Bottom