Saban should start showing love for Williams at #5 to get a Minnesota/SD trade. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban should start showing love for Williams at #5 to get a Minnesota/SD trade.

caneaddict said:
OK, Saban is smart. He showed interest in everyone so he could find out what other teams value. By causing concern that we might take Smith, he forced TB to negotiate with us and not Cleveland (likewise if Cleveland wants Smith, they'll need to trade with us).

Now, assuming we trade down with TB. We can look at the board and see there's a good chance one of the top 2 WR's will be there. So we need to bring them BOTH in (let the news "leak" out). Show VERY high interest. Then, we can trade down with Minnesota or SD and pick up some extra picks. If we trade down with Minnesota we would still get the same RB we could get at #5 because neither Minnesota or Tennessee would take a RB. So start showing high interest in both receivers just in case the TB trade goes down (which is starting to look likely).

It's a nice theory, but you can really only show interest in so many guys before people start thinking, "you know what? The hell with Saban, he's trying to fake everyone out and I'm not gonna buy it." Moreover, Saban only has so much time on his hands to look interested in players. Every hour he spends "looking" interested in someone is an hour that's wasted when it could be used to scout out a prospect for a later pick.

Ok, I said this exact thing like 3 hours ago. If we fall to five, we start working on Minnesota depending on how many WR's are left and who they are. If we can get TB's second this year and second next year, then get Minnesota's second this year, and then Get Kansas City's second with a Surtain Trade.. that gives us #5 overall plus 3 2nd round picks.. 4 picks in the first two rounds. I won't hold my breath, but it's not out of the rhelm of possibility either.

If we drop down to #5 and take Williams over any of the "Big Three" running backs I will smash my T.V. set into 1,000 pieces.

I am not sold on Williams. I think he is J.J. Stokes with a year off football.

Trade down with Tampa, draft one of the backs, and load up on young defensive players with the extra picks.

A wide reciever at #5 when we have two good starters at the postion already but have NOBODY at runningn back makes no sense.

I know there are a lot of Mike Williams fans here but think about it rationally...what the hell are we going to do for a running game if we take Williams in the first round?

Are you prepared to watch Lamar Gordon or Sammy Morris for another year?

I'm not...trade down to five and grab a running back....it's a no brainer.

caneaddict said:
OK, Saban is smart. He showed interest in everyone so he could find out what other teams value. By causing concern that we might take Smith, he forced TB to negotiate with us and not Cleveland (likewise if Cleveland wants Smith, they'll need to trade with us).

Now, assuming we trade down with TB. We can look at the board and see there's a good chance one of the top 2 WR's will be there. So we need to bring them BOTH in (let the news "leak" out). Show VERY high interest. Then, we can trade down with Minnesota or SD and pick up some extra picks. If we trade down with Minnesota we would still get the same RB we could get at #5 because neither Minnesota or Tennessee would take a RB. So start showing high interest in both receivers just in case the TB trade goes down (which is starting to look likely).

Excellent Idea, I was just thinking about that while mowing my yard. If we can parlay that #2 pick into #7, plus either another 1st and 2nd rounder +several later round picks or 2 second rounders + 2 third rounders, plus our own 3 rounder, what a great draft. Unfortunately, we don't have the money to pay all those high draft picks.

finsnchips said:
Mike Williams becomes a distinct possibility if we go down to #5, but for us.

The Vikings have as good as selected Troy Williamson, and I don't think the Chargers really want a WR that bad, especially as Clayton will probably be around at #12.

I couldn't disagree more if Saban trades down to #5 I believe the choice is a RB, atleast 2 of the top 3 rb's will be available, with the possibility of all 3 still being there for the taken. If a trade is worked out I think a RB is still the pick, I really think Ronnie Brown will still be on the board at #5, so I think he would be the pick. I think the Bears are going to take a RB, but I think they're gonna take Benson, leaving Brown to Saban, and Williams to Arizona if a trade is worked out, I still would prefer a Qb to trading down though.

phunwin said:
It's a nice theory, but you can really only show interest in so many guys before people start thinking, "you know what? The hell with Saban, he's trying to fake everyone out and I'm not gonna buy it." Moreover, Saban only has so much time on his hands to look interested in players. Every hour he spends "looking" interested in someone is an hour that's wasted when it could be used to scout out a prospect for a later pick.

Absolutely. Show an interest in a player or two. Otherwise, nobody will take you seriously and that means in future years too. No coach wants to risk his long term credibility in dealings with other coaches and I'm sure Saban knows this. Man, I'm glad it is him making the real decisions and us just shootin the crap!

What I really want is Matt Jones. We'll have to somehow get a late 1st before Philly and possibly before Pitt. Been trying to figure out how we do that. I think from the number 5 pick we either:

A) Trade Minnesota #5 and Tampa's 2nd rounder for the #7 and #18 (I would actually throw in more, our 3rd?). In this scenario we could possibly trade down from 18 to the late 20's and pick up more picks.

B) Trade SD #5 and Tampa's 2nd for #12 and #28 (only if we think either 1 of the backs will still be there at #12 or Merrimen will be there).

If we leave the draft with one of the big 3 RB's and Matt Jones I would be soooo happy (throw in Chris Spencer and I may faint).

What if Miami traded down to 5, then traded down to 7? Who is at 6?

Tennessee, they will probably go Defense but definitely not RB because they have Chris Brown.

That's what people said about the Bills a couple of drafts back. Also I'm not so sure Gruden isn't the one with the smoke screen, he could be trading up to make sure he gets Cadillac. It wasn't that long ago when the reports out of TB were that Gruden was in love with Williams.

I am reeeeeeaallly tired of people thinking williams will be a TE.....i dont care what the friggin lions scouts said, he will be an elite WR within 2-3 years, and will be very good from day one... he is better than Roy Williams and Charles Rogers (when they came out of college), he could have just as productive of a year as roy did probably better. i am gonna laugh in everyones face when he is a pro bowler (no matter what team he is on) and people thought it was a good idea to pass him up.

200. About the equivalent of a mid 3rd round pick.

Back
Top Bottom