Saban speaks up | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban speaks up

PeterJNO

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Team able to pick, choose
spacer-1.gif

The Dolphins are analyzing their draft options, pondering whom they should take at No. 2, or whether they should trade down to gain additional draft picks.
spacer-1.gif

[size=-1][/size][size=-1][/size]
spacer-1.gif

KAPALUA, Hawaii - The Dolphins already have turned their attention to the April draft that will offer them three basic courses of action.

The team could fill its need at running back, with some NFL people believing Miami would use its second overall pick on Auburn's Ronnie Brown.

The team could fill its need for a future quarterback, with Alex Smith being the likely leftover choice because San Francisco seems focused on picking California's Aaron Rodgers.

Or the pick-starved Dolphins could try to trade down in exchange for extra picks because they need help in a number of areas.

''We haven't really had any discussions with anybody about that,'' coach Nick Saban said of the trade scenario. ``I think that's probably a little premature at this point.

``That's an option we leave open relative to what is the long-term value of our team. We have quite a few needs right now. To have the second pick in the draft and then not have a pick until whenever it is in the third round doesn't give us the opportunity that I would like to solve several problems.''

The Dolphins also could surprise and pick a defensive player or offensive lineman, but that seems unlikely. Even though Saban says Miami will focus on the best available player, he also said he will balance that against filling needs.
Touch Decision
Saban talks about the need to find a great quarterback to have a championship team, but also concedes that finding that player atop the draft is a gamble.

''The history of drafting [successful] quarterbacks in the first round is a 30 percent hit,'' Saban said. ``I don't know what the odds are on a craps table in Vegas, but I know about that one.''

If the Dolphins cannot find a trade-down scenario that suits them, it seems logical Brown would be their choice.

He has been impressive to everyone in workouts, running a 40-yard dash time in less than 4.5 while weighing 233 pounds.

WEAK DRAFT

A strong reason the Dolphins might try to trade down is that the top of this draft is not as strong as in previous years.

''I think in a good draft you have 10 to 12 for-sure impact guys up top that everyone agrees on,'' Green Bay coach Mike Sherman said. ``I don't think you'll see that this year. But there is some good depth -- you can get a really good player in the third our fourth round.''

The very top of the draft likely will see Rodgers going to the 49ers, if San Francisco coach Mike Nolan is to be believed.

''Aaron is certainly ahead of Alex because of the style of offense he ran,'' Nolan said. ``Alex was doing a lot of things in the workout that he really hadn't done for two or three years. He did take a drop, but it was a little different. The mechanics of coming out from beneath the center and setting and throwing is not as good.

``Both of them are very accurate and have been throughout their college career. The difference in Aaron at this point is because he's been doing those types of [dropbacks].''

Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden believes he might have a chance to pick the quarterback not taken by 49ers because he thinks the other three teams ahead of him -- including the Dolphins -- will either trade out, take a running back, or pick a wide receiver.

''I have a feeling one of those quarterbacks may fall to us, and we have to be ready to make the pick, or not,'' Gruden said.
Source: http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/11225007.htm

wow, only one reply? This was a good article. Opinions anyone?

I'm for drafting anyone as long as its not a QB

PeterJNO said:
wow, only one reply? This was a good article. Opinions anyone?

It is a good article but it was posted yesterday and dissected into 100 different posts.

I could make a thread devoted to how Saban WILL NOT pick a QB with the 2nd overall pick based on this comment:

Touch Decision
Saban talks about the need to find a great quarterback to have a championship team, but also concedes that finding that player atop the draft is a gamble.

''The history of drafting [successful] quarterbacks in the first round is a 30 percent hit,'' Saban said. ``I don't know what the odds are on a craps table in Vegas, but I know about that one.''

But I wont, its futile.. And certainly, all the Rodgers/Smith bandwagon boys would say he is just blowing smoke, yet statements that seem to fit their assertion are almost considered dogma too them.. Very interesting.

I trust Saban in whatever selection he makes. Gruden is looking to pick up one of the QBs as well? What happened to Chris Simms? I've herd talks of him being traded to Cleavland for a 2nd rounder.

FinFrenzy said:
30% QB success rate of 1st round picks :eek: :eek: :eek:

Its a good point that only 30% of Qb's actually make it from the 1st round. Personally I would have liked to see Miami pick Smith or trade down. it would be interesting to see what the percentage was for a RB in the 1st rnd was, or indeed the success rate for any position in the 1st round come to think of it

whoever nick picks I will support his decision

Yea i know white,

I would hate to have such a high pick for the 1st time and pick a bust.......it's almost safer to pick Brown then. :cooldude:

Fitz said:
I'm for drafting anyone as long as its not a QB
Why?We need a franchise Qb.Feeley isnt our future and everyone will see that this year.Im not sayin there is a franchise Qb in this years draft but i wouldnt be mad if we took a chance at a Qb with the 2nd pick.

fish fan 4 life said:
Why?We need a franchise Qb.Feeley isnt our future and everyone will see that this year.

I would agree, but it is possible we might get a QB for the future in say the 3rd round-D greene maybe

Back
Top Bottom