Saban Speculation Thread Part 1 (merged 9,999x) | Page 66 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban Speculation Thread Part 1 (merged 9,999x)

Will Saban take the offer from Alabama??

• Yes, the pressures of the NFL/ lure of a huge contract is too much to pass up

Votes: 136 49.8%
  • No. Saban will honor his contract with Miami and see this through one way or the other

Votes: 137 50.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, not necessarily, what about if he made it to the AFC championship? I'm sure Huizenga would re-structure his contract.

Well, I was assumeing a non-playoof appearence year.

I don't think this team is a playoff team next year.

An AFC championship....He'd probably stay.

I have to believe this whole mess is two fold. First on the part of Alabama who are pursuing Saban like no other coach has been pursued before and in fact THEY should be severly reprimanded for their actions even after Saban said he would not be the head coach, we have been hearing they will not take no for answer. That is flat out molesting!
Secondly maybe from pressure from his agent they have discovered Saban's new found value and tried to squeeze some dollars out of WH (that's an agents job) which hasn't worked, apparently, because unless the words come out of WH's mouth personally they don't exist for me. Like a lot of other things being said by third parties etc.

Leaving or not: My thoughts on Saban

I want to say this BEFORE he leaves so if I say it afterwards, I won't be accused of bashing him out of anger.

Here are some things about Saban that either I don't like or I just find to be concerns:

1) (FACT) He is a micro-manager who thinks he is capable of handling more tasks than any human possibly can. He lacks trust in anyone else and wants people around him that he feels he can control. Obviously, I can not substantiate it this second statement. But it's the impression I get.

2) (Something I find very annoying): He talks in so many circles that it makes him look bad. I hate how he handles the media. It's ridiculous to be so evasive about as many questions as he is. It's senseless chatter and accomplishes nothing.

3) I think he comes off as condescending and the players probably hate it. His use of psychology on grown men just doesn't cut it.

4) Publicly coddling the players is not how you motivate. I could care less if they are veterans or not. You can't make it sound ok to be mediocre. I realize that the players are probably critiqued behind closed doors. But sometimes, ala Parcells, you have to call them out publicly - pull on the ego and pride - to get the best out of the players. It doesn't matter if they like you. Do what it takes to win. I would rather a player HATE me and respect me than like me.

5) He is not a GM. Protect his draft picks all you want (particularly this year), it was not a very good draft. His free agent choices have been questionable.

6) He seems afraid to make changes on the squad when it's obvious that there are upgrades ON the roster.

OK, I'm at work so I have to cut this off. But there are many other things that are troublesome about Saban. His choice of staff. His allowing the bad play calling to continue. The inconsistency in team preparation from one week to the next.

There are a lot of concerns I have about Saban. That's why if he leaves, it won't really hurt my feelings a bit. (Unless we end up with Denny Green :lol: )

my girlfriend lives in Culpeper, and i told her i love her so much cuz the place she lives in has the same name as the QB of my favorite football team of all-time......

and she slapped me.

i dont get girls these days..

That's b/c Culpeper is spelled differently then Culpepper :tongue:

My buddy and his wife live there as well

Unless we only win five games next season, even if we don't make the playoffs, saban doesn't get fired. Yr four however...

You know, I'm leaning more that way myself.

On one hand, there is his word and bond...(The contract),
and on the other hand, you have a potential situation
where he may gain a position that will garuntee him and
his family security for life, and, a better quality of life for himself.

I know about contracts, and, word of honor, etc, but, I have
to say that if my familiy's well being was at stake, I'd make the move
that would be best for them, and, everyone can take thier opinion
of my "honor" and ram it up thier butts.

As a human being I respect that anyone has the right to do what they think is best for themselves.

As a fan of the Miami Dolphins though it's natural to feel the need to tell Saban to GFY. We made an investment in him based on him telling us his desire was to be the coach of the Miami Dolphins. We believed his dream was to be an NFL coach and he'd be commited to being a good NFL coach and the organization would benefit from it. He failed the Dolphins organization in that aspect if he leaves just 2 years into the process.

The organization wasted 2 years on this guy and the organization/it's fans have a right to be upset about that just as much as he has a right to take off.

If I saw him walking down the street would I feel the urge verbally bash him or wish ill on him?
Absolutely not.

I would however consider him one of the villians of Dolphins history.

I can't
say I blame him from walking away from a fanbase that is calling
for his head after two years.

Sorry but this view is way off base.
First off there isn't widespread "fan angst" towards Saban as of yet. You've got some of course but he's hardly been "pressed" yet.

Secondly, If he can't handle the minor amount of doubt he's getting here he sure as hell should'nt be going to Alabama where life IS Crimson Tide football. Good luck on handling that pressure Nicky!

I guess I'm ok either way at this point. I just want it over.

Agreed completely here.
It's time for us to move on and lick yet another wound.

Okay...you guys know me...I have been around...

I am just going to pass this on.

First of all..on 790 they just had someone call in to say that Saban cancelled his golf membership at a local club yesterday. That's ominous enough...BUT.

I got another one.

Well....Saban as of last night dropped his bid on this piece of land around Weston that he was looking at buying.....YESTERDAY. here is the kicker, the company that holds the land was closed yesterday, and Saban still saw fit to leave messages (Some assistant left the messages) on their machine at around 10:00 PM.

Saban will have to pay 15k to drop this bid.

having said all this...I STILL BELIEVE THAT HE IS STAYING.

Well, I was assumeing a non-playoof appearence year.

I don't think this team is a playoff team next year.

An AFC championship....He'd probably stay.

I know everyone is frustrated and pessimistic right now, but I've posted this before and feel inclined to do it again... who predicted that Baltimore would grab the #2 seed in the AFC after going 6-10 last year? Who thought the Saints would grab the #2 seed in the NFC?
Cpep's completion #'s were better than Joey's, and his yards per catch were also significantly better. If we can get him decent protection, he has the ability to get the job done. Especially if we get him another threat at WR, on top of the O line help. Then, we get our secondary healthy and add a top flight corner... this cuts down on the big pass plays that kill us, and probably gets us 2 more wins this year and an 8-8 record. If we'd gone 8-8, people wouldn't be quite so negative right now. Sean Payton and Mangini both proved a new coach CAN come in to so-called "bad teams" and lead a team to the playoffs as a 1st year coach. The sky isn't falling people!

So who here, wants a coach here, that doesn't want to be here ?????????????

At least if Saban leaves we may wear something other than white on white?

With the multitude of Saban-related posts and threads up lately I started to think of some stuff that wouldn't be so bad about Saban leaving. Maybe it'd be entertaining to start a list. Obviously I'll put a few of mine up first.

-We'd get to wear something other than white on white all the time. Someone said on here a few weeks ago that Saban would never wear the Orange jerseys because he disliked them. He seemed to dislike the aqua jerseys and the aqua pants too. So at least if Saban leaves we may see some variety in terms of the uniforms we see every Sunday. Regardless of your opinions on the alternate uniforms, the all-white did get boring after a while. I'd like to see aqua on aqua again myself.

-We might actually get a personable coach. I tried to like Nick Saban, and on many levels I do, but he was definitely not a personality guy. In fact most of the press conferences I watched I thought of him as being surly and somewhat of an ***. I don't want a Dick Vermeil-style coach whose going to cry anytime something big happens and generally act like a panzy (that's not to say Dick Vermeil wasn't a good coach though, in fact if he were younger I'd love him to be ours) but at least maybe we could get a guy who gives you a good sound-bite from time to time. Keeps it fresh.

-We might actually get an offensive minded coach. I can't remember the last time we had an offense that was actually entertaining to watch. It was fun with Ricky but there were times where we needed to pass and that was less than stellar. Saban's forte was defense, Jim Bates the interim coach before him was a D coordinator, Wannstedt grew a good moustache (trying to be nice here) and Jimmy drafted a great defense (the core of which is still pretty much here) but never got us that offense. Maybe we could finally get an offensive head coach (besides Wannstedt who was offensive in another type of way).

Ok, anything else?

I would blame Saban again. This would be the second time he has left a team close to my heart high and dry.

First on the part of Alabama who are pursuing Saban like no other coach has been pursued before and in fact THEY should be severly reprimanded for their actions even after Saban said he would not be the head coach, we have been hearing they will not take no for answer. That is flat out molesting!

Come on now, you don't think Alabama would be after Saban so much, if Saban said (to them) that he wans't interested. I'm sorry but, I have to believe that Saban isn't sayin' everything in public here. I think he was been telling Alabama (through his agent) that he was/is interested the 'Bama Job. Don't blame 'Bama, they are just tryin' to get a coach.

Okay...you guys know me...I have been around...

I am just going to pass this on.

First of all..on 790 they just had someone call in to say that Saban cancelled his golf membership at a local club yesterday. That's ominous enough...BUT.

I got another one.

Well....Saban as of last night dropped his bid on this piece of land around Weston that he was looking at buying.....YESTERDAY. here is the kicker, the company that holds the land was closed yesterday, and Saban still saw fit to leave messages (Some assistant left the messages) on their machine at around 10:00 PM.

Saban will have to pay 15k to drop this bid.

having said all this...I STILL BELIEVE THAT HE IS STAYING.

KEEP THE FAITH MAN! (not sarcastic)

Back
Top Bottom