saban too conservative? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

saban too conservative?

SR 7

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
is i tjsut me or does Saban remind you guys slightly of wanny? conservative play to WIN type of football. game of Field position. he plays scared on offense but on defense he isnt scared to send 8 men on a blitz. i dont get it.

does anyone know how sabans teams were on offense in college? lsu? mich etc etc?

Id play scared on offense also when I had an ineffective running game, a streaky QB who is mistake prone, a group of WRs who are afraid of the ball and online that is shaky at best

The playcalling was conservative because the o-line can't give more than 2 seconds of protection to take a shot downfield, our QB is crap, and even if the stars aligned and these two units played well on the same play, the recievers find a way to drop it. Last year when we had a decent line and an above-average QB we were very aggressive, now we've been handicapped.

SR 7 said:
is i tjsut me or does Saban remind you guys slightly of wanny? conservative play to WIN type of football. game of Field position. he plays scared on offense but on defense he isnt scared to send 8 men on a blitz. i dont get it.

does anyone know how sabans teams were on offense in college? lsu? mich etc etc?
mularkey calls the plays and he was accused of not running enough earlier in the yr...u think joey throwing more today would have helped?...also look at the vanilla defense wanny ran versus the complex defense saban runs...they r completely different

That is what happens when you have a sucky qb and your running game is non-existant last year they took plenty of chances but that is also because Miami had Linehan as the offensive coordinator.

Saban prefers an aggressive, big play offense but can't run it given the cards he has right now.

Wannstadt was definitely more conservative.

Did you by any chance watch our offense virtually at all last season?

Disgustipate said:
Did you by any chance watch our offense virtually at all last season?

yes i did but that was all b/c of LINEHAN. mularky is a saban guy and a close friend. tahts the point. our offense last year was close to being explosive. this year, we just aren't doing JUNK. thing is, GUs was horrible with the deep ball but we still threw it, even if joey is horrible as he is, why arne't we throwing it? i think its b/c its all on the COrdinator. somethign is there behind the lines. and our o line isnt THAT much worse then last year so that isnt the excuse. look at the TD pass from lossman on goodman. it was a JUMP ball and a quick 3 step toss. i think we have enough time to do taht. we just dont. we dont let our players MAKE plays and give them a chacne to do. when we did, booker and CC caught a TD vs the bears and last week for booker on jump balls.

SR 7 said:
yes i did but that was all b/c of LINEHAN. mularky is a saban guy and a close friend. tahts the point. our offense last year was close to being explosive. this year, we just aren't doing JUNK. thing is, GUs was horrible with the deep ball but we still threw it, even if joey is horrible as he is, why arne't we throwing it? i think its b/c its all on the COrdinator. somethign is there behind the lines. and our o line isnt THAT much worse then last year so that isnt the excuse. look at the TD pass from lossman on goodman. it was a JUMP ball and a quick 3 step toss. i think we have enough time to do taht. we just dont. we dont let our players MAKE plays and give them a chacne to do. when we did, booker and CC caught a TD vs the bears and last week for booker on jump balls.

Saban never knew Mularkey before this. You are thinking of Capers.

Frerotte had a good deep ball, especially in comparison to Harrington.

Brown42000 said:
That is what happens when you have a sucky qb and your running game is non-existant last year they took plenty of chances but that is also because Miami had Linehan as the offensive coordinator.

Actually we estbalished the run early on in this game. If Joey Harringotn could have done anything in the passing game in the first quarter we could have kept the Bills defense off balance all afternoon. The playcalling is not to blame here, the execution is. Harrington was terrible, completely unacceptable. What the folks from the Harrington camp need to realize is ANY QB can produce wins and play well when your defense is dominating and you have the running game going. We watched Jay Fiedler do it for 4 out of 5 years. A truly good QB can lead an offense which can step up and win games when the defense isn't dominating and the running game isn't all that great. Fiedler could actually do it, from time to time. Joey harrington has never shown me anything that would lead me to believe he could ever do it.

SR 7 said:

Are you kidding me? Conservative????

From game one versus Pittsburgh this team came out slinging the ball all around the field. 37 pass attempts in game one alone! It wasn't trash attempts in the fourth quarter neither. What did his players give him in return? Two interceptions in consecutive series with one returned for a touchdown.

Game 2 - 32 pass attempts, 5 sacks highlighted this game along with ANOTHER missed 50 plus yard field goal. Conservative?

Ah... I ain't going down the list of games. It ain't worth it. Everything that you have said goes against the grain of what has taken place this year. He has given these players opportunity to make plays. They have utterly failed. As the saying has went for the past 5 or so years - we need playmakers! We have none........

As for the defense..... All of the intricate blitzes got this team torched early in the season. This team does not time their blitz nor make plays when they are sent on a effectively. They suck at "zone blitz". That is why it was minimized. Why give a player an opportunity to "make a play" when he fails consistently to do so? The simple fact remains that this team is still a "Man 43" personell.

Mr. Reality said:
Actually we estbalished the run early on in this game. If Joey Harringotn could have done anything in the passing game in the first quarter we could have kept the Bills defense off balance all afternoon. The playcalling is not to blame here, the execution is. Harrington was terrible, completely unacceptable. What the folks from the Harrington camp need to realize is ANY QB can produce wins and play well when your defense is dominating and you have the running game going. We watched Jay Fiedler do it for 4 out of 5 years. A truly good QB can lead an offense which can step up and win games when the defense isn't dominating and the running game isn't all that great. Fiedler could actually do it, from time to time. Joey harrington has never shown me anything that would lead me to believe he could ever do it.

And this is the exact reason why I HAVEN'T been on the "Joey lovefest" that goes on w/ this board. Every freaking game . . . his best game was easily the New England game . . . a quality opponent and he made ZERO mistakes . . . he managed the game and made a few plays, defense dominated . . . thats all Joey needs to do. When your D sets u up, u can't just throw them back on the field, but Joey does it all the time . . . Jville and this game especially . . . its just sickening.

Mike Malurkey is the problem. Saban has balls and apparently Mike has none. Gus is about the same caliber as Joey and IDC what anyone says about our O Line, they provide enough time to air out some passes if only they'd tell Joey " Hey, throw the ball down field to Chambers."

Saban should call the plays.

Raging Bull said:
Mike Malurkey is the problem. Saban has balls and apparently Mike has none. Gus is about the same caliber as Joey and IDC what anyone says about our O Line, they provide enough time to air out some passes if only they'd tell Joey " Hey, throw the ball down field to Chambers."

Saban should call the plays.

Harrington is just not good at that. I agree that Frerrotte and Harrington are close to the same caliber QB with conditions though. Harrrington is more accurate than Gus in the shorter to intermediate stuff but he refuses to stand in the pocket to let anything develop down the field. He also makes more mistakes than Frerrotte ever did. Frerrotte was inaccurate in the short and intermediate passing game but very good at getting the ball down the field. The best quality of Gus Frerrotte was that he was always looking for the big one first. It seems like Harrington has to force himself to look for the big play.

If we threw more today, especially down the field, it just would have lead to more turnovers. Our coaching staff is not dumb, they realize this which is exactly why we've seen conservative, "not to lose" type offensive gameplanning as of late.

Back
Top Bottom