Saban's Defense is a 4-3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban's Defense is a 4-3

SabanScience

Practice Squad
Reaction score
A lot of people on this board seem to think that Saban is installing a 3-4 defense. This isn't correct. I've tried to address this in a couple of different threads, but many people still seem to think Saban uses a 3-4 defense as his base defense. He doesn't.

I'm a Michgan State Spartan fan. He coached here for 10 years. All with a 4-3 defense.

As a defensive coordinator for the Browns? 4-3 defense.

As head coach at LSU? 4-3 defense

What is he planning to install in Miami? A 4-3 defense.

The 4-3 defense will be the base defense the Dolphins will use this year. There is a clip on Fins TV of Saban saying that the Miami defense will be a 4-3 (with some odd). It's in the "One on one with Saban" clip. You will hardly ever see the Dolphins in a 3-4.

We pretty much all know this. While, we'll still be a base 4-3 team, we won't be so vanilla and predictable. I'm sure we'll se a 3-4 and other hybrid type defrenses. It should be fun to see.

I've seen a lot of posts on this board stating Saban's defense is a 3-4, like in the current Jason Taylor thread. I think it will help if everyone understands that the Dolphins will primarily run a 4-3 and nickel. I have no doubt about this.

I also expect for Jason Taylor to play SAM backer most of the time and move to right defensive end in passing situations. This is speculation on my part. It's based on watching Saban's defensive schemes for the last 20 years.

I think the Dolphins have a great chance to make the playoffs and get back to the top of the NFL (where they belong). Looking forward to a great season.

This has been discussed many many times. He will install a 4-3 base with some 3-4 looks throughout the game. Therefore, it warrants having players that can line up in either alignment.

It's no secret we'll be running a 4-3 hybrid 3-4 to suit the situation. It's really the way the game is played now -- depth at such positions allows us to have no real standardized projected system.

HysterikiLL said:
It's no secret we'll be running a 4-3 hybrid 3-4 to suit the situation. It's really the way the game is played now -- depth at such positions allows us to have no real standardized projected system.

Saban has never said that we will be running a 3-4 defense. He said that we will change up to it once in a while along with some other looks.
That is al that he has said. I'm glad that this thread was posted.

This hybrid stuff will confuse people again.

Dolphins will have two defensive tackles in the game on 99.9% of the snaps this season.

4 Defensive Lineman:

2 Defensive Tackles

2 Defensive Ends

3 Linebackers

SAM = Strongside Linebacker

MIKE = Middle Linebacker

WILL = Weakside Linebacker

Some of Saban's pass rushing schemes are taken from the 3-4 style, but it is still a 4-3 defense.

The hybrid system is more of a fit for players like Kevin Carter and Vonnie Holliday who can play both interior and exterior. Also Jason Taylor and Matt Roth are more capable to slip back to OLB IF NEEDED TO. This can ensure a more efficient flow between plays adapting from the run to the pass without interrupting tempo. It's the way the game is going with more physical adaptable players like Demarcus Ware and Shawne Merriman.

The 3-4 stuff comes from the fact that Saban told defensive FAs and DC candidates that he wanted to run a 3-4. The assumption is that we'll run a 4-3 base, but my guess is a 75/25 split.

Imight as well throw my 2 cents in here as well. I agre it will be primaril 4-3 but definately more unique. It will no longer be a reliance on outstanding talent at each individual position (ie corners on an island, front 4 fully responisible for pressure and containement etc.) I think there will be more shifting of positions, disguised looks, the occasional 3-4 and lots of mixed coverages and blitz packages. Don't rely on just great individual play. Keep them confused and guessing.

Back
Top Bottom