Saban's Draft Choices | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban's Draft Choices

occamz_razr

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
This year's draft class was obviously a group of collegiates who had been in contact with Saban in one way or another in the 3+ years he was coaching LSU. I hope his preference for players he has seen on the field on Saturdays doesnt cloud his judgement of other players who might be more suited and may be better than the players hes seen on Saturdays on the sidelines.

I think this statement would hold more water if some of his picks were suspect. The top 3 picks were touted as potential 1st rounders. Roths size and Crowders knee kept them out of the first round. Every post draft commentary has Miamis draft rated at a B or higher. Now if he pulled a Spurrier and started grabbing all his ex alumni that has flopped in the NFL then I would worry.

Finish the sentence; if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and sounds like a duck what is it? If saban can find the type of players he needs by relying on his intense recruiting, game planning, and first hand visuals it only gives us better chances of getting the players he wants , and makes him have to focus less on measurables. Measurables are what makes teams reach for sub-par players. His experience helps us discern the value players from the bust players.

True... but he kinda went BPA.

We needed a RB, we got a versatile guy in Brown that can run, catch and block. He was the best runner in the draft, and was rated by many, along with Edwards, as the best player in the draft.

Roth was, IMO, the BPA along with Dan Cody at #46. He was a value pick. If Corey Webster was there then we would have picked him. He was the best CB available at that time.

Crowder was easily the BPA at #70. The #1 rated MLB.

Saban wanted a CB in the second round, he went for one in the fourth, and Daniels was the best CB available.

Although he knew about the guys, I dont think that is why he picked them. It is probably a little more than a coincidence, but not his reasoning.

But what happens next year if a player from the Pac-10 is rated higher than a person in the SEC - at any position, and he goes for the kid in the SEC? Im just saying that this draft, and even though I loved our picks, showed me something that I for one would be concerned about when it comes to his evaluations of players from different parts of the country.

occamz_razr said:
But what happens next year if a player from the Pac-10 is rated higher than a person in the SEC - at any position, and he goes for the kid in the SEC? Im just saying that this draft, and even though I loved our picks, showed me something that I for one would be concerned about when it comes to his evaluations of players from different parts of the country.

If something like that happens and the guy doesnt pan out and the other guy turns into a stud then we worry, but lets wait and give Saban a fair chance before we call him Spurrier. I dont see anyone on THIS years draft that wasnt BPA at their position or that I dont think will make an immediate impact on our team.

occamz_razr said:

Your playing the 'what if' game. Until he does something like that it's not even worth bringing up. He didn't do anything like that in this draft so wouldn't that be proof already? He's shown he's going to go BPA at anytime.

I am very confident in Saban's evaluations and im sure that if there is a player better than the one he has his eye on he will without a shadow of a doubt take the BPA

occamz_razr said:
He went BPA... I can't see what is wrong with that.

If your opinion is that he will go for guys he knows then that will only be shown next year, and the year after.

The fact is that he got 3 outstanding players on day one in Brown, Roth and Crowder... two years ago we drafted Eddie Moore, Taylor Whitley and Wade Smith on day one of the draft.

Saban commented that if it came down to a choice between someone he had some familiarity with and another player, he felt more comfortable taking the player he knew something about. That makes sense and is what, I'd think, any of us would do.

It's not something he's going to be able to rely on for very long though, obviously.

occamz_razr said:

Let me say that all Dolphin fans will come to realize that Saban knows talent. There were many times at LSU when he would pass on someone that a recruiting service would rate as a "can't miss" player. And it would drive us fans crazy because we were focused on recruiting service ratings. IMO, in college, Saban was acting more like an NFL talent evaluator rather than a recruiter. And Saban doesn't care one bit what Mel Kiper or any other talking head has to say about the Dolphin's draft.

And don't be surprised to see Saban draft another LSU player next year too. It's not so much as being a "homer" like Spurrier had trouble with at the Skins. LSU will have a lot of "NFL potential" seniors this year.

LSUTigah, who are the big names coming out of LSU next yeay that will enter the draft?

occamz_razr said:
LSUTigah, who are the big names coming out of LSU next yeay that will enter the draft?
I second that... LSU players, whether drafted or undrafted are gna find their way onto this roster.

That is not because Saban is a homer, but because he will pick up guys he knows and can trust.

finsnchips said:
I second that... LSU players, whether drafted or undrafted are gna find their way onto this roster.

That is not because Saban is a homer, but because he will pick up guys he knows and can trust.
The Ex LSU players will find their way onto this roster if Bellicheck stops picking them. Hes got 5 ex lsu guys on that roster.

Boik14 said:
The Ex LSU players will find their way onto this roster if Bellicheck stops picking them. Hes got 5 ex lsu guys on that roster.
thats because of Saban. Bill trusted Nick and Nick probably told him what guys were good and not.

UDFA's will come here.

Back
Top Bottom