Saban's philosphy | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban's philosphy

CalFishman

Starter
Reaction score
I remember prior to draft last year, Saban discussed his thought process for the first round. With the value, money and pressure associated with the first round he felt it was the the most important round not to make a mistake. He discussed how there had been numerous busts in the first round, even early first round and it was extremely important to not waste the early pick on specualtion.

He may be tempted to draft Cutler out of need. But I believe even if Cutler is still there at 16, he will pick a player who he feels is more of a sure thing. I would suspect Greenway, Huff, or a stud O-lineman would be Saban's choice over Cutler in the first.

CalFishman said:
I remember prior to draft last year, Saban discussed his thought process for the first round. With the value, money and pressure associated with the first round he felt it was the the most important round not to make a mistake. He discussed how there had been numerous busts in the first round, even early first round and it was extremely important to not waste the early pick on specualtion.

He may be tempted to draft Cutler out of need. But I believe even if Cutler is still there at 16, he will pick a player who he feels is more of a sure thing. I would suspect Greenway, Huff, or a stud O-lineman would be Saban's choice over Cutler in the first.

Good point.

Saban does not wasting picks, no matter if it's the first-to-fifth overall pick (Which I hope we won't get in the feature, save for a trade) or the "Mr. Irrelevant" pick. I mean, he did draft Vickerson and Wright, and the only reason why K.V. is not contributing because he got hit with a cheap shot during the preseason.

CalFishman said:

I mentioned this in another thread. (Some folks basically said I was crazy for suggesting Saban wouldn't take Cutler) You're right. Saban will take the player he feels WILL best help this team. We have too many needs to take chances in the first round. Saban could just as easily, and RIGHTFULLY, take an O-lineman or DB in the first round. Maybe even a LB. A QB is definetly not a shoo-in, even if Cutler were to fall to us.

Good post.

I agree that Nick will take the BAP regarless of position for the most part....I don't think he'd take a RB,FB,TE or guard at 16....he could move down and take a guard in the 20's tho I doubt it...but other than that he'll take the best player out there....one thing I know tho...he's not gonna take a corner if he's got 2 probowlers already(fletcher)and will make every pick count.

Ozzy rules!!
:rockon: :guitar:

You're all correct, there are many as equally, if not more, talented players as Cutler at #16. I just don't find it very likely that Saban would pass on him if he was there.
Saban does have a penchant for SEC guys, and has made it known that Cutler is one of the Qbs he finds impressive, so I find to hard to believe he would actually pass up on him.
The only player that Saban would draft over Cutler might be Ngata, because he is such a rare talent, but that's it in my opinion.

Pocoloco said:
You're all correct, there are many as equally, if not more, talented players as Cutler at #16. I just don't find it very likely that Saban would pass on him if he was there.
Saban does have a penchant for SEC guys, and has made it known that Cutler is one of the Qbs he finds impressive, so I find to hard to believe he would actually pass up on him.
The only player that Saban would draft over Cutler might be Ngata, because he is such a rare talent, but that's it in my opinion.
Is funny but I keep thinking that he could be a player that drops for some odd reason.When we were losing I was thinking that we could draft Ngata with a top 5 pick but after we started winning I knew we had no chance but every year someone really good drops and I think that he could be the one this year.Some people feel that he doesn't play as good as he shoulds sometimes(kind of like Gardner was coming out)and they could pass on him.....maybe I'm dreaming but a D-line with Roth,Ngata,Wright and JT....wow

Ozzy rules!!
:rockon: :guitar:

Saban did pick Roth in the 2nd when we already had a lot of good DEs and he didn't make that big of an impact. I still think it will be a good move, but don't think Saban won't pick for potential early.

CalFishman said:

I like Huff, but I wouldn't classify any of these guys as being "more of a sure thing" than Cutler.

tastes like chi said:
Saban did pick Roth in the 2nd when we already had a lot of good DEs and he didn't make that big of an impact. I still think it will be a good move, but don't think Saban won't pick for potential early.

I wonder what Saban was thinking in the Roth pick. I bet if Webster lasted he would have been the pick, but does Saban see him and being Taylor or Carters replacement in the near future?

I could definitely see Miami taking Jay Cutler, but I tend to agree with you. There are quite a few middle round guys who have skills and could be developed, especially if you build up the team around them (Croyle, Jacobs and Whitehurst come to mind). This is such a deep draft that I could see the Dolphins trading down for more picks and certainly moving a veteran or two like Ricky Williams and/or Sam Madison. Defense in round one wouldn't surprise me one bit.

saves said:
I wonder what Saban was thinking in the Roth pick. I bet if Webster lasted he would have been the pick, but does Saban see him and being Taylor or Carters replacement in the near future?
He's said Webster would have been the pick. What he liked about Roth was that hes a high motor player who wont quit on plays. Roth, in his opinion obviously showed enough to warrant the pick. However Roth does need to get stronger.

On the bright side few pass rushers come in right away and dominate. Outside of Kearse, Rice, Pepers and maybe 1-2 others its rare. JT, Strahan, Umenyiora, Alex Brown (great year this year), Vanden Bosch (like Brown great year), Ogunleye, etc.

I think DE's are like RB's and QB's...they need the reps to get better...the more Roth was out there the better he played.....I think he's gonna be a very steady player for us and he's learning from some of the best(JT,Carter,Holliday)so I think he'll be fine.

Ozzy rules!!

CalFishman said:

You also have to take into account how important the QB position is to Saban. I still feel if Alex Smith were there he would have been the pick. But its not like Cutler would be a reach. He is a talented QB well worth a mid first round pick. I still think if Cutler is there he's our guy. I'm not even ruling out Saban trading up for him if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom