Saban's System and Players | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban's System and Players

Lee2000

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I continue to read threads about why we do not consider various players, with Tommy Polley's name the most recent. Here is my opinion on the criteria for considering various players:

1. One has to know the type of player Saban is seeking to play his offense and defense. Saban is likely to defer some to Linehan on the offense, but he definitely has defensive players in mind. Example: He is looking for flexibility on the DL, a player who is big enough to anchor the end position. A big guy inside. He is said to like big linebackers, smart instinctive types. He wants to find backers who can rush the passer (4-3 or 3-4). He wants a strong safety near the line of scrimmage, and big corners to press the WR. He will take the hand he has, but he definitely has players in mind.

2. He will implement his draft strategy with his viewpoint on the type of players he likes. Not likely to be a focus in this year's draft will be smallish corners, small linebacker types like Dexter Coakley, and small DEs who can not anchor the end of a DL. He may draft a DE in college who projects to the OLB role. He likely will look at bigger corners who can jam WRs. He will look for player makers who play smart.

3. On offense, I have addressed what Linehan might do in previous posts. However, there have been good posts in defense of getting a good rb. I think it is less important than some posters. I actually think Edwards at WR would not be a terrible shock. However, I personally would like to see a trade down. There is some good value on Wrs later in the draft (e.g., Northern Colo. WR). I have heard a lot of critical comments on Jones from Arkansas. He will be a project, but what a project he could be. There are no sure bets anymore in the draft. Every year there are "bust" at every level. But he was a playmaker at Arkansas when he touched the football. He is very different than a simple measure guy.
Big offense linemen appear to be back in the picture again given the OL coach. It will be interesting to see the OL and the offensive strategy mesh.
Some of you want to know why Brown might be preferred over others. I have got to believe it is based on his receiving skills. I think a rb who can receive will be picked over a masher.

4. This is the most objective argument I can make given my simple comprehension of the new system. I don't know any inside information, know any of the coaches or office guys. Just formulated this from reading, listening, and plain on guessing.

Lee2000

Nice post.

QB is conspicuous by it's absence, what's your guess there?

Great post man... I'd also add the height on D... you mentioned big... but the guys are gna be tall as well.

You mention Edwards... can you justify drafting him to me? I've heard a hell of a lot people say we need to get this guy.. or it wouldn't suprise me if we got him... but there is no real justification.

I could talk all day about Mike Williams, I dont think any one player could influence our offense as much as he could.

That said... at the end of the day, I think it'll come down to Ronnie or Alex if we can't trade down.

Back
Top Bottom