“sacrificing Stats For Wins” | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

“sacrificing Stats For Wins”

I’m sorry but that makes no sense. If you have no horses you definitely will coach more conservatively.

Keeping your horses in the stables will help that too.

Gase plays for third and manageable, thats his credo.

If we got a penalty or negative play, he pretty much gave up on the drive and punted. The guy played scared.

His comment to Armando about Tannehills passer rating said all that needs to be said. No coach should be worrying about a stat fir a specific player, especially a stat as flawed as passer rating. Gase doesn’t see the big picture at all.

I don't want to sound like I'm defending the guy, because I don't want to, but the Dolphins talent level has been mediocre at best. We've never had enough talent on any of our teams that could help mask a normal amount of injuries. Simply put, this team has been lacking depth for longer than since Game has been here.

So you're implication that we haven't had enough talent is actually 100% right.
The notion of Gase taking the high road rather than throwing any team personnel under the bus seems noble at first glance.

However considering it was he who wielded total control over the roster and among other dubious decisions was on record as minimizing the importance of the OG positions, Gase trying to blame anyone else would boomerang right back to impugn his own major culpability in having to "forego stats!"

Simply put it means Gase played it close to the vest and implemented mostly a conservative gameplan. He knew his team was not talented enough especially with the injuries this year. So he knew by being more aggressive he might get stats but also more turnovers and negative plays. Risk and reward.

Play it close and don’t beat yourself. Try to win games that way.

Here's the thing though.

1)if you want to play that way you better have the defense to back you up

2)the moment you start coaching not to make mistakes you lose

I don't mind the idea of "sacrificing stats for wins," because winning is more important. It just didn't work out for him so we ended up with a bunch of players with underwhelming stats and still had a losing record in his 3 years as HC.

Maybe one good thing about our guys having worse stats than they probably should have (guys like Drake) is that they might be a little cheaper when it comes time to extend their contracts? Then again, maybe they'll just want to get out of Miami and go to a team where they'll be used more.

I don't mind the idea of "sacrificing stats for wins," because winning is more important. It just didn't work out for him so we ended up with a bunch of players with underwhelming stats and still had a losing record in his 3 years as HC.

Maybe one good thing about our guys having worse stats than they probably should have (guys like Drake) is that they might be a little cheaper when it comes time to extend their contracts? Then again, maybe they'll just want to get out of Miami and go to a team where they'll be used more.

Good for the management, bad for the players.

Coming out and making that statement is going to make it tougher for Gase to bring in free agents with his new team.

If guys think they will have their stats managed (Which directly impacts their future earnings) they are gonna avoid him like the plague.

Might mean he couldn't trust the QBs to throw the ball down the field resulting in turnovers or sacks.

I think it was Jimmy Johnson or Bill Parcels that said it's not how many good plays are made it's how few bad plays.
JJ said that when he either benched or cut Louis Oliver - which was a shocker.

What are the chances Gase has success in NY? will the dolphins struggle against this division rival for years to come?
Personally i think he’ll crash and burn, but will find success against the fins in the short term. Really hope Flores can toughen up this team, so sick of finesse football

I think Gase got the most wins you could get out of this roster and injuries. And the statement sacrifice stats for wins is correct. when both your offense and defense are ranked bottom 5 in the NFL, you have no business winning 7 games. Gase wasnt fired because he couldnt coach, he got fired because of his personality and questionnable roster management.

I’m sorry but that makes no sense. If you have no horses you definitely will coach more conservatively.
Makes perfect sense to me...

When I say, "No horses," I mean no Pro Bowlers or All Pros. This team wasnt minus "talent" at WR, RB, OL...to a lesser extent.

We won’t be laughing when the Jets sacrifice stats to beat us in the future. I hate the old, a guy is pretty good while he’s here and a complete **** bum when he leaves attitude. My money says Flores gets fired before Gase. Time will tell!

I agree. . People here should be expecting us to lose a lot and to New York. We are tanking Remember?

I also agree about he leaves and he totally sucks. Now he is the worst coach we had many posters on here think.

Really the whole thing making fun of his eyes and saying he had mental or coke issues is beyond childish. If that was a women or a man of color that wouldn’t happen. Nobody would be laughing. The guy has a tick when he gets nervous and uncomfortable. It causes him to make some awkward facial expressions. Maybe because I work with kids who have special needs but I think it’s so childish to be piling on that.

Also what he said was perfectly clear. He played by the score board. He didn’t trust his qb and the protection to hold up. So he didn’t take risk. In New York, if they have a better line then you will see a more aggressive offense. He all ready is showing that he learned from mistakes by hiring a good defense cordinater. Some of you really need to let it go. He is gone. You should be happy. Then when he kicks our ass we can blame someone else. Ross , Grier, Flores, the mascot.

How about this year the roster was decimated by injuries. If you don’t believe that watch the first game of the year. tannehill didn’t get hit. Clean jersey. Now Larsen comes in and 2nd game against jets we give up 4 sacks at least.

Then first series against colts we have Brendel at guard and sawanson at center
Lime looks best since weeem one. Offense kills it on first drive. Second drive TSwanson gets hurt and Larsen comes in and it falls to ****.

Tired of the narrative that gase can’t coach and players hated him. There are always players grumbling when you change coaches especially in Miami. Gase was stubborn and maybe he didn’t do a good job with the 53 man roster. But that control was only picking the players on the roster when we had 90 players and they cut down.

He didn’t have final say on draft. He had a large input. But if he had final say we would have had Desmond king and copper kup who gase pounded table for the year before.

I agree. . People here should be expecting us to lose a lot and to New York. We are tanking Remember?

I also agree about he leaves and he totally sucks. Now he is the worst coach we had many posters on here think.

Really the whole thing making fun of his eyes and saying he had mental or coke issues is beyond childish. If that was a women or a man of color that wouldn’t happen. Nobody would be laughing. The guy has a tick when he gets nervous and uncomfortable. It causes him to make some awkward facial expressions. Maybe because I work with kids who have special needs but I think it’s so childish to be piling on that.

Also what he said was perfectly clear. He played by the score board. He didn’t trust his qb and the protection to hold up. So he didn’t take risk. In New York, if they have a better line then you will see a more aggressive offense. He all ready is showing that he learned from mistakes by hiring a good defense cordinater. Some of you really need to let it go. He is gone. You should be happy. Then when he kicks our *** we can blame someone else. Ross , Grier, Flores, the mascot.

How about this year the roster was decimated by injuries. If you don’t believe that watch the first game of the year. tannehill didn’t get hit. Clean jersey. Now Larsen comes in and 2nd game against jets we give up 4 sacks at least.

Then first series against colts we have Brendel at guard and sawanson at center
Lime looks best since weeem one. Offense kills it on first drive. Second drive TSwanson gets hurt and Larsen comes in and it falls to ****.

Tired of the narrative that gase can’t coach and players hated him. There are always players grumbling when you change coaches especially in Miami. Gase was stubborn and maybe he didn’t do a good job with the 53 man roster. But that control was only picking the players on the roster when we had 90 players and they cut down.

He didn’t have final say on draft. He had a large input. But if he had final say we would have had Desmond king and copper kup who gase pounded table for the year before.
If you think he picked Gregg Williams I have a shiny bridge I can sell you cheap.

The Jets had their eyes on Williams from the get-go. Like some assistants were dictated to Rhule as a deal-breaker, the Williams-Gase arranged marriage was a provision of him being hired (allegedly as their 3rd choice.)

The first words out of Gase's mouth was "Vance Joseph." Why would Joseph not want to join Gase again, especially after he was cut so much slack for his defensive liabilities the first go-around? But no interview and a quick hire by AZ no doubt after Gase told him "Vance, I really tried but they're hiring Williams!"

Beyond that Gase's FIL, Joe Vitt actually testified against Williams so there's bad blood, maybe sufficiently enough that Gase would be unable to nepotistically drag him along again.

And as far as final say, Gase himself said he devalued OGs and look how the line ended up. If you want to candycoat Gase as the victim instead of one of the main conspirators, knock yourself out, but many of us know better (and I was firmly in his corner until about Game 5 this past season when his poor playcalling, arrogance, shirking direct responsibility and inability to deal with different personalities much to the detriment of his team became too much to ignore, even for a homer like me.).

Live by it die by it. He may still be our coach right now if he played the score board a lil better against the colts and Bengals
Yep...….those two games KILLED us, along with the home loss to Detroit.

In all seriousness, I don’t know what this means. Anyone “get it” or have any insight into what Gase meant?

I’m still scratching my head.
Not sure if this is what Gase meant, but there are situations at the end of the game when it's better to take a knee than to score. It's hard for players to do because they get paid by their stats. Letting go of a TD for the team is not something just anyone would do.

On a smaller scale, I get the impression some QBs would sometimes prefer to run out out of bounds for a loss than to throw it out of bounds and have it reflect on his stats as an incompletion.

Finally, maybe it's about Drake. A guy like Drake can break the long run which pads the average per carry, but more consistent gains like Gore had are better for the team.

Back
Top Bottom