“sacrificing Stats For Wins” | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

“sacrificing Stats For Wins”

Situational. The way he called the game and handled clock management or o line exposure etc was always scoreboard based.

We won a lot of tight games because he always had his pulse on the scoreboard and let it dictate the way he did things.

I did like that about him even if I thought at times he didn’t press the accelerator enough.
This would explain those punts on the oppositions 43 yard line in certain situations I guess. I would have preferred he had been more aggressive in those situations and I really hated the way he managed the 4th quarter of the Indy game in particular.

In all seriousness, I don’t know what this means. Anyone “get it” or have any insight into what Gase meant?

I’m still scratching my head.
It was a head scratcher to me too. But watching his PC in NY it all makes sense. The guy is nuts and has no clue what went wrong in Miami. He has that all backwards.
If he had said "we sacrificed wins for stats" I would agree with him. How often have I blamed him and coaches before him for stat padding with Ryan. Most QBs throw beyond the markers on 3rd and long risking incompletions and INTs. We always did the safe 1-3 yard passes, run up the middle or passes behind the LOS almost trying to avoid a bad pass which could hurt Ryan's stats.
I completely lost it with Gase when I saw his response to the question why Ryan in the first three games did not look as good as in his run in 2016 and if Ryan will improve on that. I agreed with the question. Though while I gave Ryan credit for coming back the way he did after a lengthy recovery I also said that he had to up his game.
What did Gase answer? In a bitchy voice he berated the questioner and told him that Tannehill's stats were just fine.
For me a coach who cites stats does not live in reality and is worthless as a coach and it confirmed my suspicion that Tannehill's stats were purposely padded.

So Mr Crazy Eyes: the correct sentence is - we sacrificed wins for stats.

But like how? Being conservative / afraid to turn the ball over / playing FP?

Yeah Gase even said a big focus was the turnover differential because of how limited they were with the injuries

We won’t be laughing when the Jets sacrifice stats to beat us in the future. I hate the old, a guy is pretty good while he’s here and a complete **** bum when he leaves attitude. My money says Flores gets fired before Gase. Time will tell!

Live by it die by it. He may still be our coach right now if he played the score board a lil better against the colts and Bengals

Simply put it means Gase played it close to the vest and implemented mostly a conservative gameplan. He knew his team was not talented enough especially with the injuries this year. So he knew by being more aggressive he might get stats but also more turnovers and negative plays. Risk and reward.

Play it close and don’t beat yourself. Try to win games that way.

We won’t be laughing when the Jets sacrifice stats to beat us in the future. I hate the old, a guy is pretty good while he’s here and a complete **** bum when he leaves attitude. My money says Flores gets fired before Gase. Time will tell!
If Flores is fired after the preseason, it doesn't subtract from the case of Gase wearing out his welcome and needing to be gone...

IDK if he does beat us this year...in his coke-fueled mind, he still has to know that his tenure was a failure on a few levels.

Simply put it means Gase played it close to the vest and implemented mostly a conservative gameplan. He knew his team was not talented enough especially with the injuries this year. So he knew by being more aggressive he might get stats but also more turnovers and negative plays. Risk and reward.

Play it close and don’t beat yourself. Try to win games that way.
You can't play it close with no horses...

This is explained by his record in close games contrasted against his record in all other games.

Hey, when a team is hiring a guy with an average record they need a reason why he wasn't more successful. That means throwing someone under the bus. He could throw the owner/front office guys, his hand selected coaching staff or specific players. But someone or something needs to take the blame other than the guy with the average record. If not, he never gets hired.

So, Adam Gase refused to throw the owner or front office personnel or coaches or players under the bus. IMHO, that's noble, but a real gamble because it most likely means he's not getting the job. Instead, he sold a narrative that the lack of production (AKA stats) were sacrificed to gain wins. In his defense, he has a good record in close games. While we dislike QB's that are game managers, that's exactly what Adam Gase did as a play caller … managed games to keep them close. And he was good in close games.

His excuse for why he is an offensive guru and a QB whisperer for Darnold but had bad offenses is … that he was managing the games by sacrificing stats for wins. Without blaming the front office for not having enough talent or being a bad talent evaluator, he's saying he covered for the lack of talent and stretched it to get the wins he did. Honestly, this is probably the nicest way he could have treated the Miami Dolphins.

Is it a lie? Absolutely! But he's an NFL Head Coach … they lie to the media on a weekly basis. It's part of the job requirement.

We fans know it's horse droppings, but hey, for the casual fans it sounds plausible, and that's who these media circuses are really designed to reach. It's not the sort of answer that is going to withstand scrutiny, but the fans that are going to scrutinize it are already scrutinizing the roster, and his record, and his coaching staff, and are the type of people who might actually watch the draft. So nothing he says to those fans is going to make a difference. These media coach introduction pieces are primarily aimed at the other fans … the casual fans. They hear something like that and just think, 'oh OK, so it was actually a good thing because he was going for wins over stats … that's what we want, so cool, I'll give this guy a chance.'

As a Dolphins fan, I'm happy that he had enough integrity to use a phony excuse like that rather than push blame off to one of us.

Sure, he could have accepted blame … and NOT gotten another head coaching job … but nobody in the NFL is going to do that, so it's not even worth considering. Coaching is like politics … their #1 goal is to get re-elected/re-hired. From there, goal #2 is to move up the coaching ranks to Head Coach. Goal #3 is to win. Sad … but true.

You can't play it close with no horses...

This is explained by his record in close games contrasted against his record in all other games.
I’m sorry but that makes no sense. If you have no horses you definitely will coach more conservatively.

Might mean he couldn't trust the QBs to throw the ball down the field resulting in turnovers or sacks.

I think it was Jimmy Johnson or Bill Parcels that said it's not how many good plays are made it's how few bad plays.

Hey, when a team is hiring a guy with an average record they need a reason why he wasn't more successful. That means throwing someone under the bus. He could throw the owner/front office guys, his hand selected coaching staff or specific players. But someone or something needs to take the blame other than the guy with the average record. If not, he never gets hired.

So, Adam Gase refused to throw the owner or front office personnel or coaches or players under the bus. IMHO, that's noble, but a real gamble because it most likely means he's not getting the job. Instead, he sold a narrative that the lack of production (AKA stats) were sacrificed to gain wins. In his defense, he has a good record in close games. While we dislike QB's that are game managers, that's exactly what Adam Gase did as a play caller … managed games to keep them close. And he was good in close games.

His excuse for why he is an offensive guru and a QB whisperer for Darnold but had bad offenses is … that he was managing the games by sacrificing stats for wins. Without blaming the front office for not having enough talent or being a bad talent evaluator, he's saying he covered for the lack of talent and stretched it to get the wins he did. Honestly, this is probably the nicest way he could have treated the Miami Dolphins.

Is it a lie? Absolutely! But he's an NFL Head Coach … they lie to the media on a weekly basis. It's part of the job requirement.

We fans know it's horse droppings, but hey, for the casual fans it sounds plausible, and that's who these media circuses are really designed to reach. It's not the sort of answer that is going to withstand scrutiny, but the fans that are going to scrutinize it are already scrutinizing the roster, and his record, and his coaching staff, and are the type of people who might actually watch the draft. So nothing he says to those fans is going to make a difference. These media coach introduction pieces are primarily aimed at the other fans … the casual fans. They hear something like that and just think, 'oh OK, so it was actually a good thing because he was going for wins over stats … that's what we want, so cool, I'll give this guy a chance.'

As a Dolphins fan, I'm happy that he had enough integrity to use a phony excuse like that rather than push blame off to one of us.

Sure, he could have accepted blame … and NOT gotten another head coaching job … but nobody in the NFL is going to do that, so it's not even worth considering. Coaching is like politics … their #1 goal is to get re-elected/re-hired. From there, goal #2 is to move up the coaching ranks to Head Coach. Goal #3 is to win. Sad … but true.

I don't want to sound like I'm defending the guy, because I don't want to, but the Dolphins talent level has been mediocre at best. We've never had enough talent on any of our teams that could help mask a normal amount of injuries. Simply put, this team has been lacking depth for longer than since Game has been here.

So you're implication that we haven't had enough talent is actually 100% right.

I just think that answer is part of Gase's smartest guy in the room routine. I saw his vast intelligence rolled out on both sides of the ball here in Miami. Tannehill REGRESSED under this fake guru whisperer. I wonder if he'll screw up Darnold? He is the Peter Principle at work. OC was the highest level he should ever have advanced too. I think the Jets screwed up royally here but who cares, I hate the freaking Jets!

Back
Top Bottom