Sad: Maybe Concussion Related: Former NFL player Phillip Adams kills 5 in South Carolina, then himself | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sad: Maybe Concussion Related: Former NFL player Phillip Adams kills 5 in South Carolina, then himself

Terrible tragedy, no doubt. I just hate when the football and concussion card is automatically played.

Countless tragedies have been caused by those that never played the sport, perhaps never even had a single concussion in their life.

Also, for those that played football and suffered concussions while doing it, what else did they do in their life? Maybe they also suffered concussions from auto accidents, skateboarding, fighting, you name it.

While behavior can certainly be influenced by the things that have happened in our lives, there’s just no way to know what actually caused someone to do something like that. Unless the person actually comes out and says why they did it. And even then they may not really know.

Emotional damage can play a factor as much or more than physical damage. People that have had their heart broken or can’t cope with emotions or the harsh realities of life in general can break just as easily as someone with a documented mental condition.

The former could have been the reason for this latest tragedy just as much as the latter.

Regardless of the why’s, it is always disheartening to see things like this continue to happen.

Terrible tragedy, no doubt. I just hate when the football and concussion card is automatically played.

Countless tragedies have been caused by those that never played the sport, perhaps never even had a single concussion in their life.

Also, for those that played football and suffered concussions while doing it, what else did they do in their life? Maybe they also suffered concussions from auto accidents, skateboarding, fighting, you name it.

While behavior can certainly be influenced by the things that have happened in our lives, there’s just no way to know what actually caused someone to do something like that. Unless the person actually comes out and says why they did it. And even then they may not really know.

Emotional damage can play a factor as much or more than physical damage. People that have had their heart broken or can’t cope with emotions or the harsh realities of life in general can break just as easily as someone with a documented mental condition.

The former could have been the reason for this latest tragedy just as much as the latter.

Regardless of the why’s, it is always disheartening to see things like this continue to happen.
Link:
Phillip Adams’ brain will be studied for CTE

Looks like we'll find out soon enough

The report stated that the Doctor he killed had refused to give him a prescription to renew his pain pills. There are a lot of former players who have suffered from CTE and they don’t go around shooting innocent people.

This was just another case of a mentally disturbed individual who should never have been able to obtain a gun killing because he could not get what he wanted. I don’t think it had anything to do with him possibly having CTE.

The issue is it is far too easy to gain access to guns in America and that is why we have over 100 people killed every day in America by guns and another 230 people shot and wounded everyday. I guess the NRA would love to blame all those gun incidents on CTE too.

The report stated that the Doctor he killed had refused to give him a prescription to renew his pain pills. There are a lot of former players who have suffered from CTE and they don’t go around shooting innocent people.

This was just another case of a mentally disturbed individual who should never have been able to obtain a gun killing because he could not get what he wanted. I don’t think it had anything to do with him possibly having CTE.

The issue is it is far too easy to gain access to guns in America and that is why we have over 100 people killed every day in America by guns and another 230 people shot and wounded everyday. I guess the NRA would love to blame all those gun incidents on CTE too.
Mentally disturbed, but you don't think there's a logical link to CTE? You made the connection yourself, then denied it. :shrug:

Mentally disturbed, but you don't think there's a logical link to CTE? You made the connection yourself, then denied it. :shrug:
Was Aaron Hernandez just mentally disturbed or did he have CTE? We found out that answer.

A lot us football fans can be sensitive about this subject because we love the game. Some prefer to live in denial that it is a serious problem.

I want CTE to be taken seriously for the sake of the players and the future of the sport. But if I start speaking like this, many fans react like I want it to be changed to 2 hand touch. I don't have the answers but I'm not going to stick my head in the sand on this one.

I hate to jump to conclusions but sadly I'm fairly sure what Adams test results will show. It won't help the victims, but I'd like to be wrong here.

Link:
Phillip Adams’ brain will be studied for CTE

Looks like we'll find out soon enough

How?

Even if he had CTE, that doesn’t automatically mean that’s the exact reason he did what he did and wouldn’t have still done it w/o having the condition.

Furthermore, CTE is caused by the accumulation of concussions and sub-concussions which can happen in many other ways than just playing football. What else did the guy do in his life? Or anybody else that has developed CTE?

In short, linking all bad behavior directly to CTE is shortsighted as is linking CTE solely to playing football.

Like some here, I understand that CTE can influence things, but ultimately people with CTE still know that it's wrong to kill people and I hate when it seems like CTE is being used a scapegoat for doing reprehensible things. As others have alluded to, there are many people who have been damaged through abuse or other issues - we are sympathetic that those people have been victims, but we don't condone them killing people, either.

I recently lost my father to the effects of years of self destructive behavior, which was influenced by some mental difficulties and even possibly CTE from some non-football applications. Thing is, my dad's struggles were real, and ultimately he caused his own demise because of it, but he didn't go around harming others because of his struggles.

How?

Even if he had CTE, that doesn’t automatically mean that’s the exact reason he did what he did and wouldn’t have still done it w/o having the condition.

Furthermore, CTE is caused by the accumulation of concussions and sub-concussions which can happen in many other ways than just playing football. What else did the guy do in his life? Or anybody else that has developed CTE?

In short, linking all bad behavior directly to CTE is shortsighted as is linking CTE solely to playing football.
I only meant we'll find out whether he had CTE and to what degree. If he does, we still obviously can't know if it was the "sole cause." We also can't simply blame mental illness. Or know if he would have done something similar regardless. But we'll also never know what he would have been like without accumulated damage to his brain.

And CTE isn't solely linked w bad behavior. The vast majority of people with even severe cases might personally suffer but don't cause serious harm to others.

And it's also not solely linked to football at all either. It can result from any contact sport like hockey or even soccer. And you don't need to have played a contact sport to get it.

But excluding rugby (which is a sport that is more recently coming to terms with it's own significant connection to brain injuries), football produces CTE damage at a highly disproportionate rate compared to other team sports. To the point that the connection can't just be ignored.

I currently suffer from a neuroinflammtory condition that impacts my own brain function. Before I was properly medicated I did not feel like myself and attempted suicide. That might be part of why I care so much about this issue. I feel for these people. So my goal is definitely not to stigmatize people w CTE or the sport of football. Whether I am succeeding in getting it across or not, I do try to have a nuanced take on this subject.

Last edited:
I only meant we'll find out whether he had CTE and to what degree. If he does, we still obviously can't know if it was the "sole cause." We also can't simply blame mental illness. Or know if he would have done something similar regardless. But we'll also never know what he would have been like without accumulated damage to his brain.

And CTE isn't solely linked w bad behavior. The vast majority of people with even severe cases might personally suffer but don't cause serious harm to others.

And it's also not solely linked to football at all either. It can result from any contact sport like hockey or even soccer. And you don't need to have played a contact sport to get it.

But excluding rugby (which is a sport that is more recently coming to terms with it's own significant connection to brain injuries), football produces CTE damage at a highly disproportionate rate compared to other team sports. To the point that the connection can't just be ignored.

I currently suffer from a neuroinflammtory condition that impacts my own brain function. Before I was properly medicated I did not feel like myself and had a gruesome suicide attempt. That might be part of why I care so much about this issue. I feel for these people. So my goal is definitely not to stigmatize people w CTE or the sport of football. Whether I am succeeding in getting it across or not, I do try to have a nuanced take on this subject.

Sounds to me that, for the most part, we are in agreement.

Sorry to hear about your past experience. Very glad to know you’ve got things dialed in and under control. That’s awesome.

Back
Top Bottom