Safety Malik Hooker visiting Dolphins | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Safety Malik Hooker visiting Dolphins

That would be fantastic, but so many players never really come back from an Achilles injury, and Hooker has been an injury magnet, so I do think it's a longshot.

At this point, I think he's a pretty huge risk, but a risk that will work cheap for a year in a prove-it situation. But if he can run and cut, we can probably let McCain go and that saves 6.4M
You're absolutely right. In my earlier post I referenced that as the reason I'm probably getting my hopes up. And, the Parcells tree, of which Bellichick and Flores are members, always espouses some version of the mantra "the best ability is availability." But, still, my brain can't help but think ... maybe the injury means a discount. Maybe he'll take a one year prove-it deal and bet on himself. Maybe he's had enough of Indianapolis and wants to live in Miami. He could realistically sign here. And if he does, and by some miracle he stays healthy ... wow!

Having had multiple ACL surgeries back in the era when it was the prototypical career-ending injury, I also kinda root for those guys with knee/achilles injuries to come back and flourish. So there's also a part of me who will always root for those guys.

And really, we had our hearts broken with Minkah ... and how often do Ed Reed caliber talents really become available in their prime? For a defense predicated on creating takeaways ... a ballhawking, potential All-Pro FS is an extremely intriguing prospect.

Seattle's Legion of Boom depended on Earl Thomas to stifle the deep stuff and generate turnovers. This allowed those press-man CB's to do what they love to do underneath, and if they got beat occasionally, not pay the price. It created a dominant defense. Now that we're adding young pass rushers and stifling DB's ... we just might be building something similar if we can get a dominating, ballhawking FS like Hooker.

Last edited:
Fascinating. So we like our RBs but less so our TEs and S.
Maybe McCain is going to CB? What about Brandon Jones?

After spending 2a on a safety....
Goes to show you what unit of the team Flo values the most. It ain't no RB I can tell you that.
i agree with you that RB is not one of Flo's most-valued units, lol.

but i think the attention to Safety is more because of a lack of talent there, not a Flo-values-this-position thing.

Last edited:
This thread gives me another chance to rant about McCain. Granted I know little about NFL defenses, but it irked the bleep out of me when they show the typical high angle camera view and only 21 players are visible. McCain plays in the next county. I can't believe he was supposed to be way back there. They probably told him to play deep enough where you are comfortable that nobody gets behind you.

McCain turns 28 this year, Rowe 29... so neither is done, but at those ages... we've seen their best, and both are generally regarded as above-average, and paid as above-average.

This makes them prime targets for replacement.

Going into the draft, I though they had one more year in Miami, but now, I'm not so sure... they certainly have become targets.
Where is bobby mccain seen as above average? Hes the one true whipping post in our secondary.

I'd love the signing on a short-term, prove-it deal. The talent is unquestionable. It's just a question of whether he can stay healthy.

Don't think this has implications for Rowe. I don't think most fans realize how stout he was back there last year. But if this happens, I'd be sweating if I were McCain.

This thread gives me another chance to rant about McCain. Granted I know little about NFL defenses, but it irked the bleep out of me when they show the typical high angle camera view and only 21 players are visible. McCain plays in the next county. I can't believe he was supposed to be way back there. They probably told him to play deep enough where you are comfortable that nobody gets behind you.
McCain is no safety. Flores has pulled a miracle to get good play from him

Where is bobby mccain seen as above average? Hes the one true whipping post in our secondary.
Certainly not on this forum but he was 100% an above average safety last year and our defense fell apart when he had to leave the game. Doesn’t mean you can’t get younger and better but a lot of people remember how he struggled the first year of his transition and let that cloud their opinion of how well he played last year

Back
Top Bottom