Safety Malik Hooker visiting Dolphins | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Safety Malik Hooker visiting Dolphins

with Jevon Holland and Brandon Jones on the team, if we bring in Malik Hooker neither Rowe or McCain will be starting anymore.

the question is whether they would be on the opening day roster this season.

I feel if you're bringing in Hooker, it's as an insurance policy to backup Holland allowing you to release McCain as a Post June 1 Cut and save your team 6.4mm in cap. I can't see Hooker ever playing down low, and if you lose your Brandon Jones, you've easily got a guy in Holland who can match up with a TE as well as defend the run at the LOS, while Hooker can assume Holland's role.

Kudos to all the draftniks who introduced us to Holland. What a weapon he is on defense.

Rowe's ability to cover TE's shouldn't be overlooked. I think there is still a place for him on this defense. But with that being said, I could see Rowe being released if Hooker proves healthy and Miami signs him. Perhaps Miami restructures Rowe with an added year? Because of his coverage skills and leadership, they might still see him as a valuable piece.

McCain and Rowe are decent players. McCain has been a big part of the defensive leadership and when he is out the absence is felt. I remember in the Chiefs game as soon as he went out with an injury Mahomes started lighting up his replacement (Fejedelem).

Malik Hooker: absolute super star coming out of college. Lot of Ed Reed comparisons at the time. I remember he was falling in the 1st and we almost had him. Was really hoping it worked out.

Today, there is a reason the Colts let the former 1st rounder/second coming of Ed Reed just walk in FA. Injuries have tore him up. Have not see the same guy since college/early rookie season.

So no, I'm not eager to replace either of those guys with Hooker. However, I would love to sign him at low price and bring him in house. Maybe a miracle happens and he returns to form. If so, my goodness that secondary would be incredible.

In the meantime, bring him in and hang onto McCain/Rowe.

To call his injury list long is an understatement, most of them pretty serious ones too.
Achilles, ACL/MCL, labrum, hernia the more serious ones. Groin, foot and hamstring the more minor ones. That in 3 years of football.

His talent is off the charts. No question about it. His durability is really concerning so far. Any contract would have to be loaded with playing time incentives or minimum availability clauses.

Rowe's ability to cover TE's shouldn't be overlooked. I think there is still a place for him on this defense. But with that being said, I could see Rowe being released if Hooker proves healthy and Miami signs him. Perhaps Miami restructures Rowe with an added year? Because of his coverage skills and leadership, they might still see him as a valuable piece.
Cannot see them moving on from Rowe. He's excellent against tight ends (spare me the Waller or Kelce games, they're all pros). And given that Hooker is never healthy for an extended period, that would be a mistake. You add more depth, you don't cut good players on reasonable contracts that are still young.

Holland does though. They’re not gonna carry both, and because McCain still provides a ton of value in nickel, he’s more likely to be safe.
We'll have 3 nickel defenders if Holland, McCain, and Coleman...

Overkill....

Another sign that Bobby McCain is heading out the door? Possibly even Rowe? We already have a lot of depth at safety, so this would be a very interesting signing.

or maybe both. Flores likes his DB's the way he wants them and he keeps on bringing them in.

Back
Top Bottom