Safety Patrick McMorris | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Safety Patrick McMorris

We used to find a lot of sleeper type talent out here when Adam Engroff was the area scout and based in Boise. He slowly worked his way up and is now Co-Director of Player Personnel along with Anthony Hunt.
That’s funny because it seems like all the guys picked out that way were duds except for holland.

I can't believe I'm seeing things like JAG or whatever.

IT'S A LATE ROUND PICK - DUH-****ING-HUH.

Expecting an immediate pro bowler and HoFer, are ya?

Yeesh.

Nobs.

Nbc I Concur GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Ourlads.com has him ranked the 16th safety. They seem to like him more than most.

4.36 McMorris, Patrick | California | Santa Ana, CA | Proj Rd: 5-7 Height: 6001 | Weight: 207 | 40: 4.72 | Arm: 3178 | Hand: 0934 | Wingspan: 7718 Four-year starter. Transfer from San Diego State prior to the 2023 season. First-team All-Mountain West selection in 2021. Regularly aligned as the boundary safety with a healthy mix of one-high and two-high coverages. Possesses good height and weight with a thin frame and average arm length. Quality range as a deep safety to cover ground from depth with quick processing speed. Recognizes route concepts developing in front of him and leverages his zone well. Reacts accordingly while reading the quarterback’s eyes and weaves to put himself in position. Considerable ball skills to locate the ball in the air and break it up at the catch point with his physical play style. Notable block destruction as he is aggressive when coming in contact with blockers downfield. Takes solid angles to the ball carrier and uses the sideline to finish tackles. Assertive in run support with an eagerness to make an impact. When walked down, he is aggressive when taking on blocks at the line-of-scrimmage with good pop on contact. Tight hips hinder his effectiveness to stick with receivers on quick breaks in man coverage. His lack of strength hinders his ability to jam receivers. Struggles in transition and is slow to drive on routes underneath him. Needs to find ways to slip blocks downfield as he allows linemen to take him head-on when climbing to him. Struggles to finish tackles due to fringe functional strength. Allows notable yards-after-contact when wrapping up. Marginal foot speed in pursuit and can get out-run. 2023 Stats: 90 T, 4.5 TFL, 1 sack, 8 PBU, 2 FF, 1 INT.

Seems like he’s smart and versatile with good size, but slow.

In general I don’t like slow, but it’s not a deal breaker for a safety.

To be honest, in the sixth round, you’ve probably got a better shot at hitting with a guy like this who nobody has ever heard of than a well-known name who every team has evaluated and decided to pass on.

Doubling down isn't a bad strategy.

We weren't necessarily wrong on Elijah Higgins, we just didn't have room for him and the Cardinals did.
Right. McDaniel wants to find that super fast tight end, even if it's a wide receiver that can make the switch.

Hasn't happened yet, but it's worth a shot especially late in the draft.

I remember when Jordan Poyer was a very solid CB at Oregon State (another pac-12 DB). He ran a terrible 40. Philly gave him a chance and he caught on as an NFL safety at Cleveland. He was always tough and wise, but he also isn't big or fast. This sounds like McMorris. We'll see what he can do on ST.

My take on McMorris was that most scouts thought he was very good... AND very bad.

Whether this came from poor technique or a lack of football acumen, I couldn't say.

The fact that our scouts were super high on him seems to indicate they think his flaws are correctable.

I make no claims either way... he looks like boom/bust to me. I am reminded of last year where we drafted Elijah Higgins, but signed Hill to a UDFA contract... evidently figuring that one or the other would stick.

This year, we drafted McMorris, then outbid other suitors for Mark Perry. It looks the same.

There is something to be said for consistency. - LOL

I remember when Jordan Poyer was a very solid CB at Oregon State (another pac-12 DB). He ran a terrible 40. Philly gave him a chance and he caught on as an NFL safety at Cleveland. He was always tough and wise, but he also isn't big or fast. This sounds like McMorris. We'll see what he can do on ST.
I loved watching Poyer play corner. his 40 was more like mediocre rather than terrible.IMO. His stellar 3-cone helped offset it. I thought he had a chance as an NFL corner and was wishing Miami would draft him.
Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 5117
Weight: 191

Zybek PD3X AKA "Official"
40 Yard Dash (ET): 4.54
40 Yard Dash (HH): 4.50
20 Yard (ET): 2.59
20 Yard (HH): 2.50
10 Yard (ET): 1.51
10 Yard (HH): 1.54 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 08
Vertical Jump: 30 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'10"