Safety | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Safety

He could not get his knee healthy enough after his surgery.. I agree he is looking up hill but this defense suits him a lot better than a heavy zone defense. He is definitely a wild card and this coaching staff does not care how you came here if you can play you play
Fair enough, but I don't know about the injury line.

I could have sworn he was cleared medically.

He hasn't played in what will be almost two years, and IIRC he wasn't known as the sharpest tool in the shed.

I think the wild card is Iggy to safety and McCain back to slot. McCain played his best at slot. Iggy's strong suit is his ability to disrupt the route at the line of scrimmage, his closing speed, and his willingness as a tackler. His weak point is when he has his back to the ball.

At safety he doesn't have the ability to disrupt timing at the LOS but all his other strengths come into play and his weakness is hidden. That said I do believe he can develop into a good to great boundary corner and I consider a boundary CB far more valuable that a safety. But we have a two very highly paid boundary CB's so Iggy is going to have to play somewhere else in the short term. That is likely slot. However it might make more sense to put McCain there and Iggy at safety......depending on how the other safety prospects work out.

Either way, we have some nice DB talent along with good depth. We have gone a long way in adding towards defending the run as well. I feel the majority of our sacks will be the so called "scheme and coverage sacks". I think we can afford to blitz and leave the DB's in man coverage. I think we will see the LB'ers lead in sacks.

Next year, when Tua is really ready to roll, I expect us to be all in on skill position players. At worst we will still need an offensive tackle, safety, and RB. Next year looks to be even better at WR.

Fair enough, but I don't know about the injury line.

I could have sworn he was cleared medically.

He hasn't played in what will be almost two years, and IIRC he wasn't known as the sharpest tool in the shed.
He tore his acl nov 2018.. so a full year put him at at the tail end last year.. they wanted to give let him get healthy and come to camp 100. He trains in LA and is said to be 200 and moving like he used to

Sure would be nice to have a few guys surprise. Rooks or vets.

We kind of have an odd ball group of safeties. I think we are going to heavily rotate different guys in Fjedelem, Frazier, Jones, McCain and Rowe will all see time I think Adrian Colbert makes the team also and could see some time.

I envision it as SS(1) - Eric Rowe, I think Eric Rowe is much better at Safety than he ever was at corner, I think Flores helped him unlock his full potential. SS(2) - Clayton Fejedelem, this dude seems pretty solid as a special team/backup. FS(1) - Brandon Jones, now this is a big question mark because I really don’t know what he can do. Hopefully he is ready to play and start week 1 because we need him. Seems like he will
be a great player though, I liked this pick. FS(2) Kavon Frazier, I know that this guy is more of a SS than FS but I really liked this pickup and the only place to put him is backup FS because Fejedelem can’t play FS and Frazier can a little bit. I think Frazier definitely makes the roster. I see Parker and Colbert getting cut with McCain going back to slot corner where he can takeover there and hopefully rotate in and out with Iggy until Iggy is ready to take over full time.

I need some clarification at Safety. We have Brandon Jones, McCain, and Rowe. Is it safe to say that Rowe and McCain are playing out of position? Who is strong and who is free? And do you see any other moves to upgrade? I don't see this as a strength, esp on run support. But to be honest, it is the unit I know the least about

Legit question, and I’ve been looking at this as well.

I’m of the opinion that there aren’t going to be a lot of “prototypical safety” players on the team. There are a lot of multi-position players who can shift from corner to safety. Byron Jones, Brandon Jones, Eric Rowe and Bobby McCain can all shift from corner to safety. I THINK the goal will be to wreak havoc defensively. Because if you have the Joneses, McCain, and Rowe on the field at the same time, it’s going to be a bitch for an opposing QB to identify coverages pre-snap.

Kinda like what the Dolphins wanted to to with Minkah, but he decided to not do that.

Legit question, and I’ve been looking at this as well.

I’m of the opinion that there aren’t going to be a lot of “prototypical safety” players on the team. There are a lot of multi-position players who can shift from corner to safety. Byron Jones, Brandon Jones, Eric Rowe and Bobby McCain can all shift from corner to safety. I THINK the goal will be to wreak havoc defensively. Because if you have the Joneses, McCain, and Rowe on the field at the same time, it’s going to be a bitch for an opposing QB to identify coverages pre-snap.

Kinda like what the Dolphins wanted to to with Minkah, but he decided to not do that.
Yep, one thing almost all these guys have in common, its versatility. X is probably the least versatile guy among the top 6 players.

What you said about Minkah is interesting. Looking at it now, maybe Flo wasn't asking any more of him than everyone else, as far as multiple assignments, rather than traditional defined roles.

I agree, if the coaches can design good game plans, and teach these young guys to execute, opposing QBs/OCs will be guessing much of the time.

The bad news, If we cant stop the run, it wont matter.

Yep, one thing almost all these guys have in common, its versatility. X is probably the least versatile guy among the top 6 players.

What you said about Minkah is interesting. Looking at it now, maybe Flo wasn't asking any more of him than everyone else, as far as multiple assignments, rather than traditional defined roles.

I agree, if the coaches can design good game plans, and teach these young guys to execute, opposing QBs/OCs will be guessing much of the time.

The bad news, If we cant stop the run, it wont matter.

It’s funny you mentioned that. You know what Raekwon Davis, despite a lousy 2019 vs 2018, does really well? It’s kinda like Flores/Grier said, “**** this. We’ll scheme pass rush. We need to fix the run D and bolster the secondary.”

It’s funny you mentioned that. You know what Raekwon Davis, despite a lousy 2019 vs 2018, does really well? It’s kinda like Flores/Grier said, “**** this. We’ll scheme pass rush. We need to fix the run D and bolster the secondary.”
Not a bad plan, given the situation.

I think Flo definitely has the defensive chops to be the author of a perennially, top level defense by gameplanning/scheming/teaching.

I have always believed a good solid "D", and an executionally sound running game, are a young QBs best friends.

If the locker room can be wrecked by a princess it's not a very good locker room to begin with.

My question was/is where was the vet leadership in the locker room to take care of this situation when it was happening?

I still don't know if we have that kind of leadership on this team

My question was/is where was the vet leadership in the locker room to take care of this situation when it was happening?

I still don't know if we have that kind of leadership on this team

It isn't rare for teams across the NFL to let go of a 'cancer,' even on established teams and established HCs. some aren't salvageable. Some mature on the next team. Some just don't click with a team/coach.Failing to salvage a player isn't always a sign of poor leadership.

Back
Top Bottom