Sage, somehow I missed this. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sage, somehow I missed this.

MDFINFAN

Reach for the Stars
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
This was a interveiw with Sage back in August..look at the first question by the interviewer...the best and strongest arm in camp.

Hmmm, can we let him use it please.

Interview

I'd love to see Sage get his shot but there has to be some reason that the coaches have absolutely no confidence in the guy. While one member on these boards and I differ on the particulars of the situation, I would not mind seeing Sage get his shot with a middle of the road vet backing him up and showing him the ropes while a rookie (Rivers or Losman) sit in the #3 position waiting for their shot.

If Sage turns out to be a diamond in the rough and leads us to victory then the rookie gets a couple of years experience sitting behind him and becomes trade bait down the road. If Sage is just another QB then the rookie becomes the heir apparent and takes over in a couple of years.

I'm not sure how fast this formula would turn into playoff victories but one never knows in today's NFL; anybody can win any game at any time and that's what makes this game great!

The funny thing is, you should have seen that interview here (along with the Wooden one)....since they are your questions. Hell, I see one of mine in there word for word. We had a thread up here in the main forum soliciting your questions. The interviewer used to be affiliated with us. Unfortunately, he took the questions and ran for the money.

Anyway, I'd love to see what else Sage has to offer. Especially behind a nice OL. :)

Cranx I don't see why you still don't think Jay Fiedler and Brian Griese were able to "mentor" the young Sage Rosenfels as much as the other many many first time starters I've listed, who you refute by saying they had guys mentor them.

To me, a Jay Fiedler or Brian Griese seem like almost perfect fit for your own "middle of the road vet"

I have been saying all year I want Sage to get a shot. I cannot really see what the problem would be, he has played well whenever he had teh chance. Granted it was one reg game for a series and preseason, but it would seem from those that he deserves a shot at taking the next step. I like his arm, his head and his confidence.

If we do keep Jay Keibler and draft rivers.. I hope they make sage the number2 that will for sure show us what he can do...

The only reason I want Ricky Ray down here to compete with Sage is just in case Sage isn't ready after all. Ray for all we know could be more polished than Sage because he's had more recent experience playing in games up in the CFL including winning the Grey Cup.

Sage has looked good in practice and preseason but what if he doesn't show up to games? We've seen that happen before (Lucas). Sage knows the offense though and that makes me think that if he can settle and be a leader and show up to games we'll be just fine. He has leadership as one of his qualities, at least he did when he was drafted. He's very athletic. But he never performed all that well in college, and hasn't had much game time experience here so there does remain a chance that we don't win with him at QB. I don't think its a good chance and I think his chances are a might bit better than Ricky Ray, but still there's that chance that you'll need to rely on your #2 QB for the year cuz your #1 can't get it done.

In that case though I would rather be taking a chance that Ricky Ray will look good than get some old @ss sucky veteran who we know can't play anymore like Rich Gannon...and certainly rather have Ricky Ray than overpay for the likes of Brunell.

Does anyone think it would be a slap in Sage's face if they asked him to go to NFL Europe to get some more of that game playing experience????

Originally posted by Cranx
I'd love to see Sage get his shot but there has to be some reason that the coaches have absolutely no confidence in the guy.

Keep in mind Warner, Brunell, Bulger, Jay, Brady, Gannon, Rattay, Hasselbeck, Delohme and many others were all back ups who were given a chance to show what they can do.

Originally posted by !PapaCrunk!
Does anyone think it would be a slap in Sage's face if they asked him to go to NFL Europe to get some more of that game playing experience????

I actully think if they are serious about giving him the number 2 spot or competing for the number 1 this would be a good thing for him.

No because you don't want to risk injury to him first off, and second off he would not by any means be able to play the full NFL season after he got through with NFL Europe. Lastly yes Sage would take this as a slap in the face because if this coaching staff had really wanted to get him game time experience they had two more than perfect opportunities at the end of 2003 against the Bills and against the Jets. The playoffs were out of reach at that point and getting Sage some experience would have been the responsible thing to do as a head coach.

But Wannstedt, more concerned with saving his own @ss by getting to say he averaged 10 wins a year and had a winning season every year he coached us. He was somewhat justified. Huizenga should have told him by then his job was safe for at least one more year, so Wannstedt would have felt comfortable starting Sage. Instead Wannstedt needlessly started Fiedler against two teams whose playoff hopes had also been dashed.

I've always said that Sage should get a more extensive look because he seems to have the tools to be a good quarterback in this league.

Go pocket presence, good arm, accurate.

He just hasn't gotten the time.

I've seen him in practice a couple of times and he seems to have many things in check, but evidently there is something we are not seeing that the Dolphins are.

Not necessarily Migs. In 2002 they didn't have time to see anything before the season started and something tells me that in the 2003 offseason, if we didn't go out and get a proven backup some Dolfans might have lynched a few front office staff members. I doubt Wannstedt was eager to import an immediate QB controversy with Brian Griese. But he was induced to do it why? Cuz there was so much pressure to get a veteran backup. If it was enough pressure to get Dave to invite a QB controversy to Miami, I think its safe to say it was enough pressure to give Sage the shaft.

I agree with you in that sense, but if the Dolphins felt Sage had a good possibility of becoming the starter soon, I feel the need for a "young QB" would not be this drastic.

But again, like you said. If the fans don't see change, they will not be happy so Sage could get the shaft again since he is already on the team, but how long can he continue to get the shaft without being good?

Well thats one thing we don't know Migs. So far all we know is that the Phins are trying to get Brunell and that they spoke at length with Rivers at the Senior Bowl. Or rather, an executive who is no longer with us spoke at length with Rivers at the Senior Bowl. The Phins are interested in the Drew Henson thing but so are like 7 other teams....and Henson's price tag is not supposed to be a first round draft pick.

So we don't know whether the Dolphins brass is all in a rush to get a young QB. And if they do get Rivers, it may be that they weren't all in a rush to get a young QB, but they were all in a rush to get THAT young QB....cuz they really feel special about him.

Back
Top Bottom