saints could be in the market for a wr | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

saints could be in the market for a wr

Same reason I hope the team can keep Howard. The door is definitely open for Miami.

In fact, if the Dolphins trade Howard I think a player of equal value might be better than draft picks.
Exactly correct!!! Give up an All Pro we should receive an All Pro in return. A draft choice can turn into Charles Harris! I want a known commodity for a known commodity. And I'm over stacking draft choices, we must be in win now mode, screw later!!

My comments aren’t a negative toward either Jackson or Iggy. They are more about what I expect from Waddle. I think Jackson and Iggy will hopefully be solid starters for the Dolphins for a long time.

Waddle was the player I wanted the Dolphins to draft if they had stayed at 3. So moving back and still getting Waddle was great, IMO. To me Waddle is the type of player who can transform the entire offense because defenses have to account for him whenever he is on the field. He is also the one player on the offense who can score from anywhere on the field.

Waddle probably won’t be their top WR in regards to catches as a rookie but defenses will certainly be more concerned about him when he has the ball in his hands than any other skill position player on the team. He will open the offense up for every other receiver and RB on the team.
I understand that you were not slamming them. I get that you are very high on Waddle...as am I.

Where I think we differ is that my hopes for the other two are JUST as high, and to me... these two play more important positions than slot receiver.

Iggy was the best CB in the SEC at 19 years old... and that with only one year of CB play under his belt. That's an OMG situation. I do think that he has the potential to be the best CB in the league. Now, it would be ridiculous to predict that, but I think that he has that potential. Indeed, I would LOVE that-- even more so because of the folks who trashed the pick because we didn't draft a RB. I'd laugh... a lot.

Jackson, as a 21 year old was immediately dropped into the Left Tackle position... and did reasonably well, especially considering that he played the second half of the season on a bad foot. He too, I believe has the potential of being one of the best in the league. So many Tackles come into the league at 23 or 24, as fifth year seniors... and still struggle for a year or two. Jackson is waaaay ahead of that curve.

If all three of these players succeed... this will go down as the best draft era of the Miami Dolphins...

Iggy and Jackson both have very impressive tools and both have sky high ceilings, both were very smart draft picks if you're asking me. I seem to recall DeVonta Smith saying that Iggy was the toughest CB he faced in college. That's pretty high praise. Regarding Waddle, I just can't wait for the magic to start!!

I understand that you were not slamming them. I get that you are very high on Waddle...as am I.

Where I think we differ is that my hopes for the other two are JUST as high, and to me... these two play more important positions than slot receiver.

Iggy was the best CB in the SEC at 19 years old... and that with only one year of CB play under his belt. That's an OMG situation. I do think that he has the potential to be the best CB in the league. Now, it would be ridiculous to predict that, but I think that he has that potential. Indeed, I would LOVE that-- even more so because of the folks who trashed the pick because we didn't draft a RB. I'd laugh... a lot.

Jackson, as a 21 year old was immediately dropped into the Left Tackle position... and did reasonably well, especially considering that he played the second half of the season on a bad foot. He too, I believe has the potential of being one of the best in the league. So many Tackles come into the league at 23 or 24, as fifth year seniors... and still struggle for a year or two. Jackson is waaaay ahead of that curve.

If all three of these players succeed... this will go down as the best draft era of the Miami Dolphins...
I like Iggy and Jackson and I wouldn’t be upset if they trade Howard and Iggy ends up starting at outside CB this season. Jackson played well prior to his injury last season but struggled when he returned after the injury. Of course he probably wasn’t fully recovered and that is likely why he struggled over the latter part of the season.

I just love Waddle and while you only seem to see him as a slot WR. I see him as a player who can play inside or outside and can also be used in the running game on reverses. I also think he is the best returner on the Dolphins but whether the coaching staff wants to use him in the return game is still an open question.

As far as Jackson at LT playing a more important role than Waddle is concerned. As long as Tua is the Dolphins QB, the RT is more important than the LT because it is the RT who will have to protect Tua‘s blindside.

Hopefully all three of these players will succeed in the NFL and remain Dolphins well beyond the end of their rookie contracts.

I like Iggy and Jackson and I wouldn’t be upset if they trade Howard and Iggy ends up starting at outside CB this season. Jackson played well prior to his injury last season but struggled when he returned after the injury. Of course he probably wasn’t fully recovered and that is likely why he struggled over the latter part of the season.

I just love Waddle and while you only seem to see him as a slot WR. I see him as a player who can play inside or outside and can also be used in the running game on reverses. I also think he is the best returner on the Dolphins but whether the coaching staff wants to use him in the return game is still an open question.

As far as Jackson at LT playing a more important role than Waddle is concerned. As long as Tua is the Dolphins QB, the RT is more important than the LT because it is the RT who will have to protect Tua‘s blindside.

Hopefully all three of these players will succeed in the NFL and remain Dolphins well beyond the end of their rookie contracts.
I had the 'Waddle as a slot receiver' discussion many times on FinHeaven, and to be clear, I do acknowledge that he'll do all of the things that you suggested, and I do think that he'll succeed at most of them... but I also think that he'll NEVER be a Calvin Johnson or a Randy Moss. He won't be that dominant receiver that just commands double coverage on every play (and still succeeds).

I think that the small quick receivers are quite important, as last year's constipated offense clearly proved, but I think that they are a secondary weapon to the big guys who can run. I love Waddle for what he is, and I endorsed drafting him over the other WRs-- saying before the draft that he was THE fit for our offense; it's just that ultimately, I believe that your shutdown corner and Tackles are more important to long term success.

This is just a general prejudice... but I hold it when it comes to team building. Waddle was the correct choice for us... BECAUSE we already had Iggy and Jackson (and were soon to take Eichenberg). I view selecting this sort of receiver as something you do late in the building process, rather than first... and since we've had so many draft picks lately, we could afford it. I don't regret drafting him AT ALL.

If all three become stars... we will be so stoked.

At this point I would not trade Waddle for 2 first round picks. I believe he has the ability to be one of the most dynamic offensive players in the NFL and you never know how 2 first round picks you receive in a trade for Waddle will work out in the NFL.

As an example, the Dolphins had 3 first round picks in 2020. After Tua they drafted Jackson and Iggy in the first round. I would not trade Waddle for Jackson and Iggy and those are probably the type of players the Dolphins would end up drafting if they traded Waddle and ended up getting first round picks in the middle to late part of the first round.
Given that Miami just spent a hefty price to draft Waddle, two 1st round picks and a 4th in exchange for a 5th, I don’t see how this would even be open for discussion with other teams.

If Grier traded Waddle for only two 1st round picks, it would be an admission to the word that “My name is Grier and I am a dumb ****!”

Having a wealth of WR talent creates the mismatches. Someone will have the hot hands.
Parker is part of that rotay

Back
Top Bottom