Saints not picking up Cesar Ruiz 5th year Option | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saints not picking up Cesar Ruiz 5th year Option

There are many first rounders from that draft that are not getting 5 year option picked up. Covid maybe affecting the scouting that year. Anyways we are not only ones who haves messed up first rounders.
Covid was first reported in America in January 2020. The players taken in the 2020 draft all were scouted during the 2019 college season which was prior to the Covid outbreak.

The fact is teams constantly make questionable or bad picks in the first round of the draft, whether there is an epidemic or not.

That is why only 30% of first round draft picks end up signing a second contract with the team that originally drafted them.

The thing about these teams announcing they are not picking up the 5th year options is, they still have these players for this year, and they could light a fire under these guy's asses to step up their game. If they don't their 2nd contract, even if they get one, is going to be weak.

Covid was first reported in America in January 2020. The players taken in the 2020 draft all were scouted during the 2019 college season which was prior to the Covid outbreak.

The fact is teams constantly make questionable or bad picks in the first round of the draft, whether there is an epidemic or not.

That is why only 30% of first round draft picks end up signing a second contract with the team that originally drafted them.
Completely agree with this

I think William Goldman’s description of the movie business absolutely fits the Draft

Nobody knows anything...... Not one person in the entire motion picture field knows for a certainty what's going to work. Every time out it's a guess and, if you're lucky, an educated one.

Since 5th year deals are fully guaranteed as soon as a team exercises the option, it's not a wise move for the Saints to have that locked in due to their cap issues. They could trade him, but only if he's worth that cap hit. So, the safer bet is to decline the option and at worst find a way to franchise tag him if he blossoms.
And if he continues to be meh, let him walk or sign him to a much cheaper deal.

Saints are once again deep in the red for 2024. -53mil. Adding that option makes it much worse.

How do you see him now? As a Baker replacement or as the Safety that many here thought he would be?
...and how much would you be willing to pay him?

Simmons has had some rough years in Arizona. But he is being asked to do an almost impossible task. According to Next Gen Stats, in 2021 he played 8 different positions. EIGHT.
2021: ILB (324), Edge Rusher (207), OLB (193), Slot CB (139) + reps at DL, LCB, RCB, S.

PFF said his breakdown in 2022 was as follows:
2022: Slot CB (409), Box Defender (297), DL (110), 28 (CB) + 53 @ Safety after Buddha Baker got hurt.

By several accounts I've read, and PFF grades, this past season of 2022 was his best one to date. Notably, he had an increase of 270 reps at the Nickel CB position. It was his primary spot.

In an interview from 2 months ago, he said the role he played for Arizona in 2022 was the closest to his role at Clemson. I moved more "into my natural position, more of what I was doing at Clemson, I was more so in that Nickel/Safety role, roving around in that area. I'm just finally starting to get back to what I do." The guy did win the Butkus Award for best LB in college, but coming out of college he said the 2 guys he studied the most (in terms of similar game) were Derwin James and Tyrann Mathieu.

I would lean more towards a Brandon Jones replacement over a Baker replacement.

How much would I pay? Based on his play thus far...no more than $5 mil/year. Jabrill Peppers is at $4.5 and they are similar to me in skill sets.

On that note, Isiah Simmons’s 5th year isn’t being picked up either.

Looks like we can retire ragging on the Igbinoghene pick. They really didn’t like what they were looking at across the board.
Tbf that pick was going to be Brandon Aiyuk, who would have been a great pick but we might not go after Waddle and/or Hill if the Niners don’t nab him in front of us.

Simmons has had some rough years in Arizona. But he is being asked to do an almost impossible task. According to Next Gen Stats, in 2021 he played 8 different positions. EIGHT.
2021: ILB (324), Edge Rusher (207), OLB (193), Slot CB (139) + reps at DL, LCB, RCB, S.

PFF said his breakdown in 2022 was as follows:
2022: Slot CB (409), Box Defender (297), DL (110), 28 (CB) + 53 @ Safety after Buddha Baker got hurt.

By several accounts I've read, and PFF grades, this past season of 2022 was his best one to date. Notably, he had an increase of 270 reps at the Nickel CB position. It was his primary spot.

In an interview from 2 months ago, he said the role he played for Arizona in 2022 was the closest to his role at Clemson. I moved more "into my natural position, more of what I was doing at Clemson, I was more so in that Nickel/Safety role, roving around in that area. I'm just finally starting to get back to what I do." The guy did win the Butkus Award for best LB in college, but coming out of college he said the 2 guys he studied the most (in terms of similar game) were Derwin James and Tyrann Mathieu.

I would lean more towards a Brandon Jones replacement over a Baker replacement.

How much would I pay? Based on his play thus far...no more than $5 mil/year. Jabrill Peppers is at $4.5 and they are similar to me in skill sets.
I'd pay that...

An excellent reclamation project. He's better than he's shown, and we wouldn't need him to man the 'STAR', because Ramsey will be doing that.

I remember during this draft a lot of members on this board, including myslef were pissed when the Saints drafted this guy 2 positions before the Dolphins were suppose to draft. Then they traded back and drafted Iggy. Now the Saints are ready to cut bait. Has he not performed or is this a salary issue?
Jonathan Taylor was the pick we missed with Iggy….

Justin Jefferson by drafting Austin Jackson….

Jonathan Taylor was the pick we missed with Iggy….

Justin Jefferson by drafting Austin Jackson….
Taylor pick was so damn obvious, why we didn't see it, I'll never know.

Taylor pick was so damn obvious, why we didn't see it, I'll never know.
From a talent perspective they both were…but apparently Grier wasn’t drafting using the “best available” philosophy then…you know the philosophy they claim he used this year?

Back
Top Bottom