Saints officials having a chuckle (merged w/New city, same story) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saints officials having a chuckle (merged w/New city, same story)

VanDolPhan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Saints officials having a chuckle

"None of these problems are surprising to the New Orleans Saints, who traded Williams to the Dolphins in March after growing tired of his erratic behavior. Some Saints officials even chuckled last week after Sun-Sentinel photos taken during last Tuesday’s traffic stop were downloaded from the Internet and passed around at the team’s facility."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...rvezdol062302.column?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

Lets see whose chuckling as the regular season winds down and Ricky's challenging for the rushing title while the Saints look like the 90s version of the Miami running game.

**** the saints they cant even keep half of the players cuz theres problems in the locker room. they think its going to get easier with rookies and freeagents? dale carter should be a great locker room influence dont u think?

We will see whose laughing when Ricky has 1450 yards and the Dolphins are 12-4 while the Saints are 6-10 and sitting at home for the playoffs.

Yeah, Dale Carter should pick up right where Albert Connell left off last year. Oh, and Joe Horn fathering William Roaf's kid certainly didn't cause problems in the locker room either. Not in the least.

The Saints have nothing to laugh about.

who cares what the saints think...its only a stupid traffic violation...we stole ricky from them...who could we have gotten at 25 in the draft that is of rickys caliber???

duece will miss more games than he did in college, hope they have a decent back-up.
laugh is all you CAN do when your organization just got robbed blind!

I think Deuce will have a decent year personally. I don't think we stole Ricky either, I think we got a good bargain but by no means was he stolen as much as say Jerome Bettis and Marshall Faulk were. Remember, we didn't just give up this year's first rounder. For some reason every dolphan seems to want to just point out the fact that we couldn't have gotten a better RB with the 25th pick in the first round, as if thats all we gave up.

We also gave up what is likely to be a 2nd rounder next year, possibly 1st rounder, at least a 3rd. If Ricky runs for over 1500 yards then we lose another 1st rounder. If he does that, our trade will have proved to be a good thing in the short run however 2 first rounders is a lot to pay for ANY player in the game...remember Keyshawn went for 2 firsts but at the time he was outright considered the best most consistent WR in the game.

I don't know that I can even remember any other players traded for 2 firsts.

"New city, same story for ex-Saint"

New city, same story for ex-Saint

06/23/02

By Jeff Duncan
Staff writer/The Times-Picayune

Ricky Williams wasn't born making tabloid headlines. It just seems that way.

During his three seasons with the New Orleans Saints, the running back made news for conducting interviews in his helmet, wearing a wedding dress, signing with representatives of rapper Master P. and receiving a speeding ticket for going 126 mph.

In March, the Saints traded Williams and his cumbersome off-the-field baggage to Miami. The Dolphins trumpeted the trade as a final step toward the Super Bowl. Williams declared it a much-needed "fresh start" to his NFL career.

So far, it's been less a new start than a continuance of old habits.

Amazingly, the Ricky Episodes, as his mother Sandy calls them, have occurred at an even greater rate in South Beach than in the Big Easy.

In the past two months, Williams has had four incidents with the local police.

Cops made two after-midnight visits to Williams' Fort Lauderdale home to warn him that his garage door was open.

During an incident May 29, an officer "observed a BMW sports utility vehicle in the driveway with an unlocked door and a single key in the ignition. There was also a Ferrari convertible in the garage with the top down and a single ignition key plus alarm remote in plain view on the center console."

Williams and the police had another run-in June 5, when he was stopped for driving 48 mph in a 35-mph zone. The police report, obtained by the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, said Williams had no driver's license and was on a cell phone and told the officer, "to wait . . . while continuing his conversation for about 30 more seconds."

Williams says the police hassled him because he was a professional athlete.

The police report states: "Williams said, ‘Shouldn't you be somewhere eating doughnuts?' (and) ‘Did you even graduate from high school?' I advised Williams that we have heard them all and his reply was, ‘I wasn't (expletive) talking to you! Just write your (expletive) ticket you (expletive)!' "

The fourth incident occurred Tuesday, when police ticketed Williams for driving with expired tags, no registration, no driver's license and no proof of insurance.

To make matters worse, Williams, in the wake of Thursday's traffic incident, accused local authorities of racial profiling in a Miami Herald column. That hardly helped Dolphins officials, who were quietly trying behind the scenes to repair the relationship between their new running back and the police.

Whether Williams is a victim, as he claims in the Miami Herald this week, or an arrogant, unappreciated troublemaker, as the police say, is anybody's guess.

What is certain: This is the last thing the Dolphins wanted when they traded for Williams and the last thing Williams needed in his quest for a fresh start.

Williams' struggles with, and aversion to, the New Orleans media were well-documented. His recent incidents -- right or wrong -- will only stir the hornets' nest that is the south Florida media, one of the most intense news markets in the league. Not a good thing for the ultra-shy Williams.

Now you know why there were more than a few knowing smiles at Saints camp this week.

All has been quiet at Airline Drive headquarters for the past month. Meantime, Charles Grant, the rookie defensive end whom the Saints acquired with the Dolphins' first-round draft pick in April, looks like a future star, and the team will receive another draft pick in 2003.

ON THE SAINTS BEAT: Grant opened some eyes when he whipped bad-boy left tackle Kyle Turley during a scuffle in a closed practice last week. Insiders say Grant body-slammed Turley and landed a couple of blows to the head before teammates intervened. . . . Newcomers who made the most favorable impressions at this weekend's minicamp, according to a random sampling of coaches and players: right tackle Victor Riley, wide receiver Jerome Pathon, tight end David Sloan and left guard Kendyl Jacox. . . . Second-year wide receiver Michael Lewis has improved his strength and receiving skills and might be the most improved player on the team, according to club officials. . . . Of the rookie free agents, cornerback Kevin House, running back Ricky Williams (before he was hurt), and offensive tackle P.J. Alexander have made the most favorable impressions. . . . The Saints plan to wear gold jerseys for their Dec. 1 home game against Tampa Bay on ESPN, Coach Jim Haslett said.

When in the heck did the Saints sign Kendyl Jacox?!?! Man what a steal for them! I mean they probably paid a lot for him but now they've got a hella good OL. You talkin about guys like Kyle Turley, Kendyl Jacox, Jerry Fontenot, Wally Williams, and Victor Riley dude.

Don't they also have Pete Kendall??

Riley's probably an improvement off Roaf simply cuz Roaf is so injured he's nowhere close to what he use to be. Turley's awesome. Jacox is a pro bowler waiting to happen. Fontenot is solid and after this year Jacox will probably take over for him at Center. Wally Williams, he's awesome...Pete Kendall a pro bowler...

If Deuce doesn't succeed there, he's got no excuse. I'm tellin ya, Saints in the playoffs this year even with losing Ricky Williams. Jerome Pathon and Joe Horn receiving with Aaron Brooks throwing...that OL blocking for a pretty talented but fragile Deuce...

I dont know much about the D offhand but they were pretty solid last year (til they took a dive at the end of the year)

"The police report states: "Williams said, ‘Shouldn't you be somewhere eating doughnuts?' (and) ‘Did you even graduate from high school?' I advised Williams that we have heard them all and his reply was, ‘I wasn't (expletive) talking to you! Just write your (expletive) ticket you (expletive)!' "

Why has this not been previously reported? This is the first I am hearing about this. Not that I know RW, but from what I have heard about him, and what I have heard him say in interviews, it certainly does not sound like something that he would say.

Ricky may come across, and sound and look like a lot of things, but arrogant is not one of the ways that I would describe him.

Deuce McCallister has never EVER finished an entire season in college while starting. "Look it up" You thinkit will be easier in college?? HE may be good, but a will end up being another injury prone Jamal lewis. Jamal was an injury basket case in college too....look at him now?? Good but always hurt. Kinda like Terrell Davis.

Jamal Lewis isn't "always" hurt. He went through a healthy year in his first year. He's only taken one injury it was just a big one, and it wasn't to the same knee it happened to in college.

Just because Deuce had injuries in college it doesn't mean he will have them in the NFL. He's probably only going to touch the ball 15 times a game anyway.

Also I thought Ricky Williams blew off the racial profiling, not made a scene of it. I thought we were the ones making a big deal out of it???? This writer is obviously dishing out some cash to these coops to make up info, or he has some "connections" with the Miami police. Either way Ricky still has a positive attitude with the Dolphins, and is still a better player than the pick the Saints ussed in the draft to trade Ricky to us.

Really.....Jamal Lewis was out the first couple of games his first year with the Ravens with a bum elbow. He was always hurt in college. Torn ACLs is both knees, yeah he isn't always hurt....?????

Dallas got Joey Galloway for 2 first rounders. The Panthers also gave up 2 first rounders for Sean Gilbert (boy did those two trades pay off).

The Saints got Ricky for 2 first rounders.....and 2 third rounders....and 4 more picks to boot.

The Bucs gave up 2 #1's for Gruden, along with 2 #2's and $8 million.

That's all I can think of now.

Back
Top Bottom