Saints OL vs Dolphins OL | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saints OL vs Dolphins OL

Capt. Dick

Deep Sea Wanderer
Reaction score
I have a strong feeling that our OL will be greatly improved this year. I don`t recall watching a Saints game last year and am curious as to how well their OL blocked for Ricky. WE`re they mediocre, good, exellant?.........oppinions?

They underachieved.

When Willie Roaf got hurt, it was a big blow to the line. Both Wally Williams and Chris Naeole are underachievers at the guard spot. Jerry Fontenot is a journeyman center at this point, which is why the Saints drafted LeCharles Bentley.

Kyle Turley is a legitimate Pro Bowler, but one lineman doesn't make a line.

One of their problems, with the exception of Turley, is that they are a slow, unathletic line.

As far as Miami's line goes, I'm real anxious to see what happens when the pads go on. Some people have a misunderstanding of what run blocking is all about. The key to run blocking is in the legs. It's not about size or the ability to engulf a defender. The lineman needs to come out low, roll his hips, and drive.

I saw them against the 49ers late in the year. The 49ers line is pretty damn good though, but the Saints line got no push at all.

Originally posted by KB21
They underachieved.

When Willie Roaf got hurt, it was a big blow to the line. Both Wally Williams and Chris Naeole are underachievers at the guard spot. Jerry Fontenot is a journeyman center at this point, which is why the Saints drafted LeCharles Bentley.

Kyle Turley is a legitimate Pro Bowler, but one lineman doesn't make a line.

One of their problems, with the exception of Turley, is that they are a slow, unathletic line.

As far as Miami's line goes, I'm real anxious to see what happens when the pads go on. Some people have a misunderstanding of what run blocking is all about. The key to run blocking is in the legs. It's not about size or the ability to engulf a defender. The lineman needs to come out low, roll his hips, and drive.

Who do you like amongst our OLman?

Originally posted by Dolfan984
I saw them against the 49ers late in the year. The 49ers line is pretty damn good though, but the Saints line got no push at all.

How did Ricky do in that game?

Originally posted by Dolfan984
Uh, let me go check. Wasn't very good. He didn't get very many carries if memory serves me right.

Yeah.....I guess the 2nd half of the season NO put it in the air a lot. TOO much as I understand it. I wonder why they took the ball out of Ricky`s hands...........dumb asses!

I like Todd Wade and Leon Searcy on the right side. I like Seth McKinney and feel he will be a good one in time. I'm anxious to see Troy Andrew and Jamie Nails this year.

I'm also anxious to see Brent Smith. It wasn't that long ago that many Dolphins fans thought he was good enough to not resign Richmond Webb. I think he's going to struggle a little with speed to the outside, but he's one of those guys that can get under his pads and drive a defender backwards.

I played against Brent in high school, and while he was at Mississippi State, he played blocking tight end as a true freshman and started at defensive tackle as a sophomore before moving to left tackle and starting his final two years. Jackie Sherrill's reason for playing him at tight end as a freshman. "We had to get the kid on the field." Brent was about 275 lbs when he graduated high school and signed with MSU. So, he's put on quite a bit of weight and strength since then.

Originally posted by KB21
I like Todd Wade and Leon Searcy on the right side. I like Seth McKinney and feel he will be a good one in time. I'm anxious to see Troy Andrew and Jamie Nails this year.

I'm also anxious to see Brent Smith. It wasn't that long ago that many Dolphins fans thought he was good enough to not resign Richmond Webb. I think he's going to struggle a little with speed to the outside, but he's one of those guys that can get under his pads and drive a defender backwards.

I played against Brent in high school, and while he was at Mississippi State, he played blocking tight end as a true freshman and started at defensive tackle as a sophomore before moving to left tackle and starting his final two years. Jackie Sherrill's reason for playing him at tight end as a freshman. "We had to get the kid on the field." Brent was about 275 lbs when he graduated high school and signed with MSU. So, he's put on quite a bit of weight and strength since then.

Thanks for the insight....I`m particularly curious about Nails....He should be hungry this year.

Originally posted by Capt. Dick

Thanks for the insight....I`m particularly curious about Nails....He should be hungry this year.

Look at Nails' size. Hes always hungry.

Hola ....

... new guy to this board. Glad to have found it.

I saw all 16 games for the Saints last year. (they have been my NFC team for years, and when they signed my favorite college player it was a no-brainer)

The Saints OL is VERY overrated, and not a good run blocking unit at all. Even their best OL , the aforementioned Kyle Turley is , at best an average run blocker. Naeole got driven into the backfield on nearly every play, Fontenot is a wily veteran, but his physical abilities are almost completely eroded. On the left side you had, Wally Williams, who was so fat (listed at 320 , I'd guess he played some at 355 or so last year ...) that he could barely move, and the aged Willie Roaf (later Darrell Terrrell -- think a bad Folau, and you get the idea ...). That line was BAD.

The worst part was the playcalling. It was as bad as you have ever seen. Non-sensical, nothing was built from anything. There was no play action (even though they faced 8 or 9 man fronts all year ...) it was horrid.

The Phins OL will be better this year, and more importantly the play calling and schemes will be better, and will better take advantage of our resources. Having Wade come back healthy (I hope) and adding Searcy ,McKinney et al ... can only help. I think that Turner's schemes will benefit us more than the talent influx though. In San Diego last year, they had 1 NFL quality lineman ... and Norv was able to turn that smoke-n-mirrors show into a good North-South running football team. And outside of TE, there is not ONE position on offense that the Chargers are more talented than we are ...

I am getting so pumped ...

Back
Top Bottom