Salary Cap | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Salary Cap

I've heard that in a few places. And I think it makes sense. I don't expect the NFL force teams like the Saints completely gut their roster. There will be a median number to help the teams with the worst cap situations. There will still be some painful cuts for those teams, but it won't be as bad as the original estimates were.
I'm positive the 175 floor was a worst case Covid scenario, like if the season had to be terminated early.

As it happened, we got in a full schedule. The fact that there were no fans in the stands, for the most part, is bound to impact the cap, but the big $ is in TV revenue, which was not affected to a large degree.

Sooooo to shift this away from Rowe, how about cutting Grant? Yeah his speed is nice but I’m over him
He's been on this team for four years. More than enough time to develop and prove his value. Anytime he had a chance to make a play he dropped it, literally. Speed is good but he can't do anything with it. You expect more from a four year veteran

I really hope they cut Rowe (and keep McCain). I know Darren Waller is a good TE but would it kill you to turn your head around ONE TIME and try to make a play on the ball...smh.
Rowe would be good with a stud FS. It's been a while since Miami has had a really good FS.

What? So you are saying some teams will not need to get under the cap because they are so heinously over the cap? Um....it's a salary CAP. Meaning you have to get under it. Other teams have had to make really tough calls and be in cap hell for years, it won't change now. If it did, there would be a hyper uproar. It's called fiscally responsible...
I think you misread his post. He’s saying even IF the NFL decides they need to lower the cap, they won’t lower it as drastically as initially reported. Lowering it drastically would create a lot of problems across the league, not only for teams but also veteran players who are free agents this offseason

Yeah, he’s as good as gone. This year was his opportunity to prove that he’s more than a KR and earn that salary. He clearly didn’t do that.
The difference between cap and dead money is about 3m. So you would have to replace him with a rookie or someone already on the roster to make it a savings. I’m not saying it can’t be done, just throwing out your options. I tend to agree he will be gone because we have others who can fill the role.

The difference between cap and dead money is about 3m. So you would have to replace him with a rookie or someone already on the roster to make it a savings. I’m not saying it can’t be done, just throwing out your options. I tend to agree he will be gone because we have other who can fill the role.
I think Whop Phiylor or TuTu Atwell will fill his spot nicely

Its scary to think about the economic impact the virus has had. But its a reality everyone is going to have to deal with. I can see the league taking a strong stance either way. The bottom line is the bottom line can't magically make money appear. Somehow, someway they'll hopefully come up with a better solution to the expected $175m cap. If not, then its going to be a free for all.
The Virus has had a far larger economic impact for average Americans than it has had on the NFL. Players will still be making more in one year than most people make in a lifetime no matter what the cap is next year. It is extremely difficult to have any sympathy for teams which might lose players because of a reduced salary cap when there are millions who are still unable to find a job because of the virus.

This is the year to have space as you should be able to get bargains in free agency

I think Whop Phiylor or TuTu Atwell will fill his spot nicely
Yeah or even Bowden who is already on the roster for 825K. We don’t need to replace the person per se, that money can be redirected to other areas or to throw at a guy like X if you decide to make him happy. I wouldn’t this year, but next year I might.

Another way to think about it is the 3M savings there could be the difference in keeping a guy like Albert Wilson too. Have a feeling Hurns will be back due to his contract.

Just depends how you want to manage the roster.

Last edited:
Well he clearly can't cover the TE...
Ok, so, if you go off the Raiders game, he can't cover TEs. But I would be willing to bet he's one of the best safeties out there covering them. I'm saying this without knowing the numbers. I'm sure someone will chime in.

I'm positive the 175 floor was a worst case Covid scenario, like if the season had to be terminated early.

As it happened, we got in a full schedule. The fact that there were no fans in the stands, for the most part, is bound to impact the cap, but the big $ is in TV revenue, which was not affected to a large degree.
Actually, the TV ratings were impacted by about 16-18% (depending on who you ask) back at the beginning of the season - and it had nothing to do with COVID. Now, whether the league has rebounded from those lost viewers I don't know; they have been strangely mum on the ratings for months. The last I read was that most other sports had slight decreases or median ratings through 2020 and only the NFL saw significant ratings drop.

Actually, the TV ratings were impacted by about 16-18% (depending on who you ask) back at the beginning of the season - and it had nothing to do with COVID. Now, whether the league has rebounded from those lost viewers I don't know; they have been strangely mum on the ratings for months. The last I read was that most other sports had slight decreases or median ratings through 2020 and only the NFL saw significant ratings drop.
The television contracts between the networks and the NFL are not based on ratings.

What? So you are saying some teams will not need to get under the cap because they are so heinously over the cap? Um....it's a salary CAP. Meaning you have to get under it. Other teams have had to make really tough calls and be in cap hell for years, it won't change now. If it did, there would be a hyper uproar. It's called fiscally responsible...
The cap is not a fixed number until it's voted on. It's a negotiated figure. So owners and the union all have a say. I'm saying when that negotiation is done, the number will be higher than the $175 number that was bandied about b/c owners and unions all want it a bit higher.

The cap is not a fixed number until it's voted on. It's a negotiated figure. So owners and the union all have a say. I'm saying when that negotiation is done, the number will be higher than the $175 number that was bandied about b/c owners and unions all want it a bit higher.
Gotcha.

Back
Top Bottom