Salary Cap | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Salary Cap

I certainly am not a math guru or accountant, but if many teams will be struggling to stay solvent could a reduction in pay across the entire organization be a logical solution however improbable?

For example: .5% cut in all salaries from the free agent players to the mega-star contracts. This should also include the coaches, CEO, GM and the owner. Put the funds saved back into the salary cap for each team to resign some of their players and acquire free agents?

A 1 million dollar salary would equate to $50,000. etc.

I certainly am not a math guru or accountant, but if many teams will be struggling to stay solvent could a reduction in pay across the entire organization be a logical solution however improbable?

For example: .5% cut in all salaries from the free agent players to the mega-star contracts. This should also include the coaches, CEO, GM and the owner. Put the funds saved back into the salary cap for each team to resign some of their players and acquire free agents?

Nor are you a contract attorney....lol.

There would be so many lawsuits by players and agents, they would have to get Judge Jeanine out of retirement.

I feel bad for guys in free agency this year. The cap is going to decrease so there will be a lot of one year prove it deals handed out.

I have no data to support my opinion, but I'll be surprised if the NFL doesn't come up with a way to raise cap in '21. If it stays at $175mm, a LOT of teams will be jettisoning good players and damaging the team for years. Pretty good vets could go unemployed due to the glut of FAs and teams having no money to sign vets. If a team foregoes saving just-in-case money they may need during the season, and suffer significant injures, then what? Personally, I'm good with $175mm, but there will be a LOT of teams petitioning for a higher cap.
Well, players could always play for a bit less?. Even with less, they'd still be making millions. Either way, the cap will be the same for every team so they can't say the NFL screw this team or that team over.

Nor are you a contract attorney....lol.

There would be so many lawsuits by players and agents, they would have to get Judge Jeanine out of retirement.
Totally agree that the lawyers would have a field day. In a make believe world it would be nice if the NFL and players union worked together to resolve the imminent financial effects of covid-19 on the NFL.

The teams don’t have a problem with solvency, just the cap. The teams and owners are still making money hand over fist. The cap just sets a line in how much of that money goes to the players vs how much goes in their pockets by percentage.

What happens if the Players Union doesn't want to agree to a salary cap reduction? Because that is likely going to be the case. In spite of all thats going on, I just can't see the NFLPA truly understanding the economic effects.

What happens if the Players Union doesn't want to agree to a salary cap reduction? Because that is likely going to be the case. In spite of all thats going on, I just can't see the NFLPA truly understanding the economic effects.
They have already agreed to the floor. It was negotiated along with the Covid compromise, if I'm not mistaken.

They really didn't have a lot of choice, other than to not play the season. Nobody would have been paid in that event.

Back
Top Bottom