Salary issue may stall Ricky's return. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Salary issue may stall Ricky's return.

finsnchips said:
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/11784170.htm

I really don't think he can return if we're paying him the mega $$$'s he was on...

I think the Fins come out on top in this one. I don't see an arbitrator treating Ricky's situation as if he never left. He breached, period. Maybe they meet half way and sign him for higher than the league minimum but not at the full 3.7 Mil.

It's all ready established that Wicky is in BREACH of his contract. That is why he owes the Phins 8 plus million dollars.

The logic that is driving this story IMO is totally flawed.

Agent Leigh Steinberg declined to discuss the matter other than to say, ``I don't see Ricky playing for that [$540,000] figure.''
clear.gif

West-Fin_Fan said:
I think the Fins come out on top in this one. I don't see an arbitrator treating Ricky's situation as if he never left. He breached, period. Maybe they meet half way and sign him for higher than the league minimum but not at the full 3.7 Mil.

:yeahthat:

Go Dolphins!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ricky needs to be happy he is even playin for Miami so if his salary is 500K O WELL you did it to yourself. Be a man accept the consequences for your actions and play for the min.

Take it or leave it, Ricky. Don't forget to drop that 8 million off at the front door on your way out.

The guy has no leverage....just a decision.

West-Fin_Fan said:

I'd like to think so, but if you read the story on the front page, it says they consulted five attorneys for their opinions, and 2 said "minimum", 2 said, "$3.7 million" and one said, "who the hell knows?"

If we're set on bringing him back (and I'll assume that's the case), the smart move would just be to cut D.Bowens and agree on a restructured contract that might pay Williams $1.5 or $2 million.

If an arbitrator rules in Ricky's favor, it will leave the Dolphins with no alternative but to cut him. There is no way that any team would be willing to take that kind of risk on Ricky. Teams are going to doubt his desire to play the game. And as a 3-time drug test offender, Ricky is subject to another 1 year suspension if he fails another drug test. And considering that he's going to be tested 10 times a month, he better be really clean. No team is going to take that risk for $3.7M. If Miami cuts him, the best he could hope for is a league minimum contract loaded with incentive clauses.

dolfanmark said:
If an arbitrator rules in Ricky's favor, it will leave the Dolphins with no alternative but to cut him. There is no way that any team would be willing to take that kind of risk on Ricky. Teams are going to doubt his desire to play the game. And as a 3-time drug test offender, Ricky is subject to another 1 year suspension if he fails another drug test. And considering that he's going to be tested 10 times a month, he better be really clean. No team is going to take that risk for $3.7M. If Miami cuts him, the best he could hope for is a league minimum contract loaded with incentive clauses.

Good point. I think that's all the more reason to come up with a compromise contract, then. If we push hard for the minimum and he wins in arbitration and gets cut, some team will surely offer him an incentive-laden contract. There are enough teams with shaky running games that they'd take a chance, particularly with a minimum (or slightly more than minimum) deal with a lot of performance-based incentives. There's no downside to a deal like that.

Leigh Steinberg must have lost his mind if he thinks we are going to pay Ricky some mega deal. He is not doing the Phins a favor, we are doing him a favor by bringing him back.

:yell: What a jack@$$$. Day after day I read more crap about this guy. He gets everyone's hopes up that he's gonna do the right thing and come back, take a much deserved pay cut and play for the vet minimum (consider it like community service) Now he wants more $$$? :shakeno:

I hope we can't come to an agreement and this schmuck ends up elsewhere. Trust me, the way he has acted since quitting...er retiring last year, he has no sense of loyalty and he'll keep screwing us up every chance he gets.

dolfanmark said:
Teams are going to doubt his desire to play the game. And as a 3-time drug test offender, Ricky is subject to another 1 year suspension if he fails another drug test. And considering that he's going to be tested 10 times a month, he better be really clean. No team is going to take that risk for $3.7M. If Miami cuts him, the best he could hope for is a league minimum contract loaded with incentive clauses.

If Ricky comes back I suspect that it is because he has finally "kicked the habit". My guess is he's sees this as a last chance at a life full of kickin' back and relaxing. If he comes back, he'll have stopped hitting the bong. I'm sure in his mind he's not done for a lifetime; just an extended break. I'd be very surprised to see him fail another drug test. He may only play three more years but the only risk I see is him deciding to quit again which I don't see happening either, it just doesn't make dollars and cents.

All i know is he's deffinitly not worth the 3.7 mil a year. They SHOULD sign him for the minimum or a little more. He has to prove to us he wants to play, not the other way around. Their will be many insentives to his new contract I'm sure. The dolphins are not stupid enough (any more) to take Ricky back wanting anything near that amount of money.

Back
Top Bottom