Salguero: Dolphins Will Fire Tannenbaum, Keep Gase And Grier | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Salguero: Dolphins Will Fire Tannenbaum, Keep Gase And Grier

Report: Fins to move on from Tannehill in '19
7417.jpg

According to the Miami Herald, the Dolphins are prepared to move on from Ryan Tannehill after this season rather than pay him the $19 million he's owed over the next two years.

None of Tannehill's 2019-2020 scheduled pay is guaranteed, so it will be an easy cord to cut. By releasing or trading Tannehill, the Fins would save $13.2 million under the 2019 salary cap, or $18.7 million if he's designated a post-June 1 cut. Amid reports the front office will also be cleaned out, the Dolphins' organization appears headed for a near-full overhaul this offseason.

I like Adam Gase and Ryan Tannehill but the lasy time we tried half measures we got here. It’s over man, I hope Tbaums replacement blows it up and we get a football VP, GM and Coach who all share and apply the same vision. Keep Marino away from that, he can hang around to shake some hands and laugh at a few jokes but I don’t want him making football decisions. I think scapegoating Burke and Tannehill is bullshit.

Says all you need to know about Ross. He makes a part decision. It's a get out clause to placate the fans. Come back in 12mths and the team will still be swimming in the swamp of mediocrity at best. Ross couldn't steer a rusty tramp steamer. Bit part moves do not make a successful franchise. Its not like the team has any building bricks to move forward on based on success. Ross is poor in my opinion and thats based on his track record as the team owner.

They're just all in all incredibly stupid people who can't see past a day in the future. They somehow enjoy short term success regardless of the implication it leads to prolonging this purgatory of
mediocrity. I genuinely believe if you're not rooting for a spanking this Sunday at Bufffalo you're less of a fan for it. I guess they're excuse is "LETS GET A WIN TO END THE SEASON ON A POSITIVE NOTE! GO DOLPHINS! LETS GO OUT THERE AND GET AN EVEN WORSE DRAFT PICK AND HELP EXTEND A LIMP DICK COACH'S CAREER AND PROLONG THE REIGN OF OUR EVER SO MEDIOCRE QB!"

Your anger is directed at fans that want to see their team win no matter what, and your bashing them???? You think 2-3 spots will make a difference in this teams "suspect scouting ability??? Root against your team or your less of a fan. Got it.

You would think that after decades of first hand knowledge of how to not get it done, this organization would be able to figure it out.

Tbum moving is a class A move. Dead weight.

Burke and the wide 9 just to light in the pants and that works too.

As far as RT he has really played better than expected given his college background. He has tools, tough and great guy. I think he might have developed a bit more if he had stayed healthy under Gase. Age, injuries and taking command of the game have left him in a tough spot. I might have kept him around another year while working on his replacement.

Gase I like but he has to find a way to make his players accountable for all the penalties instead of getting pissed and basically kicking guys off the team cause thats nor working.

Quite possibly the stupidest thing you could do. There is only one Bill Belichick. His strength, and his only strength, is his ability to coach better than everyone else. His drafts are bad (about the same as the Dolphins for the most part). He does a good job of finding free agents no one else wants...that I will give him. However, we tried this already with Saban. Saban had full control of all personnel moves, the draft and everything else in this organization. Need I remind you that both of Saban's drafts sucked royally (remember Jason Allen in the 1st round and Ronnie Brown over Aaron Rodgers), his personnel decisions were equally bad (Dante Culpepper over Drew Brees).

Successful, sustainable franchises start with outstanding front office personnel...the Green Bay Packers back before they were raided of all their front office people, the Ravens with Ozzie Newsome, the Steelers have long sustained success, it's not hard to figure out how successful franchises make it work. The hard part comes when trying to find the right front office personnel that will make it work...we clearly haven't found the front office personnel.

Belicheck gets the most out of his players because he’s a great coach, he’s a great coach because he gets to pick his personnel, plan his angle of attack, hold his people accountable to the nth degree because there are no excuses. It’s 100% personal accountability from top down as well as bottom up. Football teams don’t need a football Czar in the front office pulling the strings of a head coach. Too many chiefs.

I don’t disagree that Belicheck has missed on players in the draft. Other more talented players that do great things on other teams. But fit has a lot to do with a player’s success and there’s no doubt that Belicheck gets the most out of his players, at least in part, because he hand picks them.

Is that you Mr Ross?

It's a good thing you are not trying to make a statistical case, because there is none to be made.

Many here still support Gase, but whenever I ask what, specifically, he does well, it's crickets for the most part.

Some will say His guys don't give up. OK, that's a positive, but if that's the best you can do, its not enough IMO.

Some will say "but who else". Flawed logic if you want to be a perennial contender IMO.

Most people in here were excited when Gase was hired. They said he’s a young offensive mind who does great things with QBs. Known for teaching and developing players. Maybe he’s gotten away from that a bit. But I bet he’s still that guy.

I don’t believe it’s all on him because he hasn’t hand picked his personnel. Put it all in him this offseason and see what he can do when given complete control. I shouted all offseason that this was an 8-8 team based on mediocre talent. This team looks bad on paper. Hard to win when your circumstances are kicking your butt.

Last edited:
Wanny has posted about this a few times.

Apparently he’s from the Michigan business school, which pushes a model of everyone having value and rearranging staff to put them in a place where their strengths are best used instead of simply firing people.

Whether that works in this specific business climate is debatable, but that’s at least the philosophical background of where he’s coming from.

Thanks for this info, Locke. This does indeed explain his reluctance in firing people on the surface. That said...

Firing people means admitting mistakes.

THIS feels a bit closer to home for me. A certain level of ego has to be left at the door when you have to fire someone you hand selected.

Too many posts to read through to see if this has already been said but if this report is true then if i had to pick between the 3 to go it would be Tbum. :shrug:

Keeping Gase is NOT a good move, and here's why. Most of us would agree that if Gase somehow survives, he will be on extremely shaky ground in 2019. The last 2 coaches were fired by Stephen Ross in the middle of the season. If Adam Gase falters early he will meet the same fate. Now put yourselves in the shoes of a good DC, O-line Coach, DL Coach looking for a job. Would you join Gase's staff knowing how unstable the situation is? Wouldn't you prefer a place where you don't have to pack up your family and move after a few months? My point is; Gase much like Sparano and Philbin, will not be able to get quality assistants to improve this team while his status is at best questionable. Therefore he SHOULD be fired now.

But what fans hope for has no effect on the outcome of games. Why is that so hard for people to understand. I can jump around my living room in my Dolphins jersey waving Pom pins for 3 hours and it means nothing. I’m so sick of the fans who call out other fans for wanting the team to win, it means nothing. The Dolphins will win or lose in Buffalo regardless of what any of us want. I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND HOW ANYBODY DOESN’T GET THIS. If every Miami Dolphins fan on the entire planet earth was rooting for them to lose this meaningless game they still could win. It’s that simple!

Lol well of course it doesn't make a difference. Never said it does. I'm a fan not a wizard. ;) Can't speak for other posters, but I don't call people out for wanting the team to win. They're free to root for whatever outcome they want.

Maybe Tannenbaum gets replaced by Peyton Manning in the EVP - Football Operations role. We know that Manning and Gase are close from their days back in Denver. Peyton could come in without blowing up coach and GM role and progressively evaluate what needs to be done re coach, GM, scouting dept and players. I may be in the minority but I think that Chris Grier has done a pretty good job in recent Drafts. If they are pragmatic, Ryan Tannehill goes, we pick up an interim experienced veteran, maybe suck for a year and search every realistic prospect that we can draft for the future.
Owner, Stephen Ross is generally not prone to rash impulses. He is a very smart businessman who is pretty methodical. Methinks that he has had enough of the excuses for Tannehill. I have defended Ryan for years but the effort last week against the Jags at home, simply wasn't good enough. He is pretty accurate, pretty safe, pretty athletic (when fully healthy) and a model citizen off the field but he badly lacks the instincts to get out of trouble when protection breaks down. The top tier of QBs all have good instincts that surface under pressure, eg Russell Wilson.
I'm only guessing, re Peyton Manning coming in but if he is looking for a team to run, it could be Miami. Don't underestimate Dan Marino's role as the guy to help woo him.

Back
Top Bottom