Same Old Dolphins! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Same Old Dolphins!

Now that the Dolphins have “narrowed” their search down to Flores as their next head coach, he’s going to sign a contract that will almost certainly average out at $4M per year.

So what if Flores is just 37.

So what if he was DFDC for only one season.

So what if the Patriots lost a game to the Dolphins – THE TEAM THAT IS GOING TO HIRE HIM?! – when Flores’ defense ambled around the field on the final play of the game until Kenyan Drake got eye-to-eye with Rob Gronkowski of all people and walked past him for a stunning touchdown.

So what if the Patriots defense had its lowest number of sacks (30) since 2000, and allowed more yards per carry (4.9) than in any season since 1973?

Last month, Flores spoke frankly with ESPN’s Mike Reiss about his first year running the defense. It was telling that he acknowledged how much he didn’t know about being a coordinator before doing the job this season.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/pa...ke-dolphins-job?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Bill Belichek didn’t feel he had earned the title “Defensive Coordinator” yet...and based on the Patriots defensive woes with him calling the defense...I understand why!

Yet...The Miami Dolphins... the beacon on the hill for success feel he has earned the title....

“Head Football Coach”

Empty hard rock stadium days ahead!

We don't know how all this will turn out but one thing is for sure.......Ross lied to us.
Ross said we couldn't keep doing the same thing because that was insanity!!
Well, what are we doing different? Not a thing.
Ross kept and gave even more power to Grier who's been a part of everything that's been bad here for year.
Also, since Ross bought the team his HC's have been,
Sparano,Philbin,Campbell(interim)and Gase..........what's the pattern here?
All of them were first time HC and it didn't worked with any of them.
So what the first move Grier makes? He'll hire a first time HC but not only that, he'll pass in a much better candidate with a better resume(Richard) to hire his buddy Flores.

It's true, we don't know if it'll work but nobody can blame the OP for being upset.
This team does not deserve the benefit of the doubt and anyone that says otherwise is delusional.

We don't know how all this will turn out but one thing is for sure.......Ross lied to us.
Ross kept and gave even more power to Grier who's been a part of everything that's been bad here for year.
So what the first move Grier makes? He'll hire a first time HC but not only that, he'll pass in a much better candidate with a better resume(Richard) to hire his buddy Flores.

It's true, we don't know if it'll work but nobody can blame the OP for being upset.
This team does not deserve the benefit of the doubt and anyone that says otherwise is delusional.

Exactly Danny...if you look at Flores failure this season... his first calling the defense...worst yards per carry allowed since 1973 for the Patriots...if your not scratching your head I have to wonder? Only 30 sacks....?

He isn’t ready at 37... he may never be...but what the hell... we have another 3 years to waste right?

Or is this intentionally tanking?

Either way...I’m not inspired...and I’m not excited!

Bill Belichek didn’t feel he had earned the title “Defensive Coordinator” yet...and based on the Patriots defensive woes with him calling the defense...I understand why!

Yet...The Miami Dolphins... the beacon on the hill for success feel he has earned the title....

“Head Football Coach”

Belichick probably almost have a heart attack from laughing too much when he heard we are going to hire Flores. Now he knows that even without Brady the Pats are going to dominate the AFCE.

There are lots of successful first-timers out there, just look at this year's playoffs line-up. The Dolphins have just been choosing the wrong coaches. Huizenga hired re-treads, Ross hires first-timers with little success in common for both. One thing they all did have in common was they were the hot names of the day.
This time it seems different in that they are looking for a leader rather than a wunderkind. I do think there's a difference in style and approach with Flores. Gase and Philbin were "experts" on offense but lack of experience in anything else hurt them. They also didn't seem very genuine or relatable. This guy is apparently both of those and has been in multiple areas of the organization which will help him all day long, not just when we have the ball.
Not sure if any of this means success but I do think it's different.

Nothing has changed!

In a certain respect, you're not wrong. This was a very targeted coaching search. Just like when we pursued Jim Harbaugh. Just like when we pursued Jeff Fisher. Just like when we pursued Adam Gase. The only difference this time is that it's apparently Chris Grier who did the targeting.

Guy could turn out to be a good coach -- Ross was right about Harbaugh -- but yes, it's business as usual. You pick a guy and then you go through a sham interview process before making him an offer. Just because the last time they actually went out looking for a coach they wound up with Joe Philbin, that doesn't mean that casting a wide net and looking at a lot of options with an open mind was a bad thing.

This franchise is such garbage. We needed a house cleaning, Grier should have been gone as well. Ross doesn’t have the stones to run a football team.

Well if the idea of a reset with a GM and a HC on the same page lockstep from day one. This has accomplished that. In that sense it is not like phins of old. This is Grier's choice and all accountability will be with him.

“Head Football Coach”

I don't think that had anything to do with it.

Belichick didn't formally name Patricia as DC for three seasons.

That's a Belichick thing, not a Flores negative.

I've sort of grown complacent with the whole thing.
If they make the right choices, Great!
If not, we'll all have something to bitch about next season!

In true Miami style, their gonna hire the man who put the defensive personnel on the field for the Miami miracle.

Why get upset before we see what results? Everyone was thrilled with Gase and he failed. Cameron was the hottest coordinator in football and he failed. Saban is one of the greatest NCAA coaches of all time and he failed. And post-Shula, the two established NFL coaches we hired also failed, though not as spectacularly.

Just wait and see. What option is there really?

Look, Flores might end up to be a bad hire, but those of you bitching that Miami did the same old thing all over again are just flat out wrong!

First of all, Ross always had his finger in the pie on football decisions, especially when choosing an HC. Deciding to put Grier exclusively in charge on picking an HC is the first time in Ross’ ownership. The 2019 season will be the first season with Ross deferring to his GM on all football matters. Maybe Grier is a bad GM, and maybe Flores is a bad hire, but it doesn’t change the fact that this team now operates differently.

I have some concerns with Flores, but the fact of the matter is that we the fans have zero idea how it’s gonna turn out. That being said, I’ll play devil’s advocate for a second and give a couple reasons why the Flores hire is different: First of all, if Ross had a say in the hire, he would have found a way to steer Grier away from hiring this guy in favor of a bigger name. I may end up wrong, but the fact that Ross didn’t hire Flores makes me feel a little bit better about the hire. Also, by all reports, Flores is a guy who will hire an OC and DC and actually let them do their jobs. No longer are a dealing with a “guru” HC who refuses to take input. IMO, the Coordinator hires will dictate whether this is a success or not. I really like that it seems Flores’ philosophy is based in being a communicator and motivator that oversees a staff of coaches who are allowed to do their jobs.

Reactions: MD
I can't say i'm enthusiastic about this hire, but i will certainly give him a chance. He was only a coordinator for one season and he wasn't really good at it.

Back
Top Bottom