Same Old Dolphins! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Same Old Dolphins!

Armchair GM's watched a Youtube video of Kris Richard and while fapping to it lost most brain activity. Settle down children.

Nothing has changed!

His pick of an extremely green candidate with nothing extraordinary to point too on his resume reeks of nepotism...and frankly just another Dolphin misstep!

So, which *WINNING* HC coach that *YOU* approve of was available? Other than an occasional retirement, the *ONLY* proven HCs on the market are there because they were *FIRED* and replaced.

Also, doesn't your logic mean that McVay et al. was a terrible hire too?

We don't know how all this will turn out but one thing is for sure.......Ross lied to us.
Ross said we couldn't keep doing the same thing because that was insanity!!
Well, what are we doing different? Not a thing.
Ross kept and gave even more power to Grier who's been a part of everything that's been bad here for year.
Also, since Ross bought the team his HC's have been,
Sparano,Philbin,Campbell(interim)and Gase..........what's the pattern here?
All of them were first time HC and it didn't worked with any of them.
So what the first move Grier makes? He'll hire a first time HC but not only that, he'll pass in a much better candidate with a better resume(Richard) to hire his buddy Flores.

It's true, we don't know if it'll work but nobody can blame the OP for being upset.
This team does not deserve the benefit of the doubt and anyone that says otherwise is delusional.

Very well said.....and it's the truth....but I've also heard it said that Flores is the scrificial lamb, and that win it's deemed time to win again, Ross will go out and get one of the Harbaugh boys

There are lots of successful first-timers out there, just look at this year's playoffs line-up. The Dolphins have just been choosing the wrong coaches. Huizenga hired re-treads, Ross hires first-timers with little success in common for both. One thing they all did have in common was they were the hot names of the day.
This time it seems different in that they are looking for a leader rather than a wunderkind.

Good call. It is completely different. I don't know how anyone can fail to recognize that. There was far less emphasis on recent results. Even if Richards is the pick, he's got that firing from Seattle one calendar year ago.
You can't look at Flores' resume and scream results.

The focus is on changing the direction and priorities within the organization and I applaud Ross for recognizing that need. Any dolt can look for the most recent positive results in a subordinate position, and hire that guy. As soon as any name surfaces, that is the desperation here and on other boards. It is like a Google wind up toy...find the name and check the results. It is no different than watching NFL games week to week and overreacting to the most recent outcomes, as if it is all you need to know. That type of thinking leads to threads regarding a resurgent Ryan Tannehill.

That video of Flores receiving the YMCA award was extremely meaningful, IMO. I watched it a couple of nights ago and immediately emphasized it here. It is far beyond a touching story. The much more meaningful segment was earlier, when the three players paid tribute to Flores. I stopped and rewound those clips many times. Those are the type of people we need in the Dolphins organization. It reminded me so much of the players from the early '70s teams. Too often recently we have drafted Devante Parker and Dion Jordan types. I have no idea how any scout or general manager can look into the eyes of players like that and say, yes...these are the guys I trust to make a difference against teams every bit as talented as we are. These are guys who will go that extra mile and be sharp enough to find that extra 2 or 3%.

It is hilarious that years ago Dolphins fans didn't want to put any stock in Ryan Tannehill not knowing the divisions. I was one of the few who wouldn't let that go. It was incredible. This is only your chosen profession. Yet you don't bother. Matt Moore was properly in disbelief. It was fully symbolic that Ryan Tannehill was mostly along for the ride. Just point me where to go. I'll jog off the field on 4th down and watch that punt.

If Flores can begin to replenish the Dolphins coaching staff and roster with those sharp dedicated guys who steal that vital 2-3% instead of forfeiting it, then his tenure will be a much needed first step toward returning this franchise to where it was 45 years ago.

More laughingstock comments. 7-9 doesn’t get you it though. Cleveland going 4-44 in three years does. Miami isn’t that bad and hasn’t ever been.

Belichick probably almost have a heart attack from laughing too much when he heard we are going to hire Flores. Now he knows that even without Brady the Pats are going to dominate the AFCE.

He probably is thinking about an extension now...go get Shula’s record!

a little off topic but has anyone ever wondered who will be the Patriots head coach once Belichick retires?

We don't know how all this will turn out but one thing is for sure.......Ross lied to us.

Do you always call people you disagree with liars? How does that work with your spouse?

Ross said we couldn't keep doing the same thing because that was insanity!!
Well, what are we doing different? Not a thing.

You are correct, if you ignore: not hiring the "hot hand" that has flamed out for us 4 in a row; putting an actual football guy in charge instead of a lawyer or business guy (the fact that you don't like his choice doesn't change the fact that this *is* different from the last 4 times); and apparently actually interviewed people, and while we won't know how it's all going to work out for us for a couple of years, the person who did best is getting job instead of just going after "their guy". All in all, that's a big and positive set of changes.

Also, since Ross bought the team his HC's have been,
Sparano,Philbin,Campbell(interim)and Gase..........what's the pattern here?
All of them were first time HC and it didn't worked with any of them.

I'll believe you actually believe this when I see your post about firing McVay, Peterson, et al. Is hiring a HC without HC experience a risk. *YES*. But, if what Ross said in the interview is true, then it also offers the possibility of long term stability.

Which experienced, available, AND willing to work for us HC offers the possibility of a 10+ coach and a stable FO?

So what the first move Grier makes? He'll hire a first time HC but not only that, he'll pass in a much better candidate with a better resume(Richard) to hire his buddy Flores.

1. Griers job is on the line with this hire. So, if you are so damned sure that Grier should have been fired *and* his HC choice is bad, you should be posting how happy you are, because if you are correct, in 2 years, we really will clean house, only with a bunch of fire round picks stockpiled for the next set of guys.

2. There is a big difference between a business acquaintance and friend. Are you suggesting he should rule out everyone he knows?

It's true, we don't know if it'll work but nobody can blame the OP for being upset.
This team does not deserve the benefit of the doubt and anyone that says otherwise is delusional.

It's a football team that you watch on TV occasionally. You don't own it, so why do you and everyone else care so damned much?

Hell, I look at these moves as a huge positive: If they work, I can finally feel good about this very weird emotional attachment to a brand (after all, I became a fan when I was a kid 40+ years ago and the only thing that's the same between now and then is the damned name); same middling performance and I get a bunch of time back during the football season since I'm not watching games; they well and truly suck and might eventually get better before I die, which leads back to #1

In a certain respect, you're not wrong. This was a very targeted coaching search. Just like when we pursued Jim Harbaugh. Just like when we pursued Jeff Fisher. Just like when we pursued Adam Gase. The only difference this time is that it's apparently Chris Grier who did the targeting.

Guy could turn out to be a good coach -- Ross was right about Harbaugh -- but yes, it's business as usual. You pick a guy and then you go through a sham interview process before making him an offer. Just because the last time they actually went out looking for a coach they wound up with Joe Philbin, that doesn't mean that casting a wide net and looking at a lot of options with an open mind was a bad thing.

1. Executive searches are *ALWAYS* targeted -- in the NFL and everywhere else. Other than the occasional retired guy saying they would go back to work for a specific team (say for example, Arians) , how is any other coaching search executed?

2. Why do you think it was a shame interview? They casted a wide net, added people, deleted people, had second interviews -- and if rumors are to be believed, it was a horse race between a couple of candidates until one came out ahead. More to the point, if the press reporting is even partially correct, *THEY HAD THEIR GUY* in Richards and then came around to Flores over time -- that's anything but a shame process.

Im not that excited about Flores but to call him extremely green just tells me the OP has no clue what hes mad about and just wants to be mad anyway.

Lets see how it goes. Its very tough to predict coaching hire success. He could very well end up being great.

The main thing is that barely knowing about the hire and deciding to already have your mind made up about it is simply a waste of energy.

In a certain respect, you're not wrong. This was a very targeted coaching search. Just like when we pursued Jim Harbaugh. Just like when we pursued Jeff Fisher. Just like when we pursued Adam Gase. The only difference this time is that it's apparently Chris Grier who did the targeting.

Guy could turn out to be a good coach -- Ross was right about Harbaugh -- but yes, it's business as usual. You pick a guy and then you go through a sham interview process before making him an offer. Just because the last time they actually went out looking for a coach they wound up with Joe Philbin, that doesn't mean that casting a wide net and looking at a lot of options with an open mind was a bad thing.

No I agree...this resume and results feels like a wrong hire to me though.

If he had come in during his one years calling the defense as a linebackers coach and kicked ass...I would be hopeful.

They had the worst run defense in 45 years of Patriot history under Flores...think about that.

They registered only 30 sacks... not good!

Richard had the number one defense leading the legion of boom as a defensive coordinator...not a linebacker coach.

On his third year... they slipped to 13 with noted injuries... still respectable none the less.

According to Simon...via conversation with Cliff Avril...he left Seattle to spread his wings...he had been with Carroll since USC.

So what happens?...He goes to Dallas as DB coach... he’s so impressive Marinelli let’s him call the defense...the defense kicks ass!

This is an obvious mistake to me... but time will tell...the Dolphins track record has not been good...so I don’t have any faith in a guy who called a defense for one year... didn’t do a great job..Belichek didn’t feel he earned the defensive coordinator title...the Dolphins make a 37 year old who isn’t ready...head coach!

Im not that excited about Flores but to call him extremely green just tells me the OP has no clue what hes mad about and just wants to be mad anyway.

Lets see how it goes. Its very tough to predict coaching hire success. He could very well end up being great.

The main thing is that barely knowing about the hire and deciding to already have your mind made up about it is simply a waste of energy.

What do you call a 37 year old... who isn’t officially a coordinator...who call the defense for one season with poor results...worst run defense in 45 years for the Patriots?

You call that experienced?...Accomplished?

No I agree...this resume and results feels like a wrong hire to me though.

If he had come in during his one years calling the defense as a linebackers coach and kicked ***...I would be hopeful.

They had the worst run defense in 45 years of Patriot history under Flores...think about that.

They registered only 30 sacks... not good!

Richard had the number one defense leading the legion of boom as a defensive coordinator...not a linebacker coach.

On his third year... they slipped to 13 with noted injuries... still respectable none the less.

According to Simon...via conversation with Cliff Avril...he left Seattle to spread his wings...he had been with Carroll since USC.

So what happens?...He goes to Dallas as DB coach... he’s so impressive Marinelli let’s him call the defense...the defense kicks ***!

This is an obvious mistake to me... but time will tell...the Dolphins track record has not been good...so I don’t have any faith in a guy who called a defense for one year... didn’t do a great job..Belichek didn’t feel he earned the defensive coordinator title...the Dolphins make a 37 year old who isn’t ready...head coach!

I’m guessing Richard didn’t bring a binder to his interview.

Back
Top Bottom