Sammy Knight may or may not be back in Miami **Signed by Chiefs** | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sammy Knight may or may not be back in Miami **Signed by Chiefs**

DOLFANMIKE

Coaches Corner
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
By the title of this thread alone I'm sure you guys that know me understand I'm a little bummed to post this. I'm hearing that Saban is being very tight lipped on his plans for some of our vets. In Sammy's case, this is a problem because he is getting some decent offers from both Green Bay and KC. He is also expecting an offer from Oakland and perhaps even Houston. Sammy wants to play in Miami. He loves being a Dolphin and is excited about Saban's scheme and the possibility of playing next to a quality FS. My hope is that Miami either drafts Rolle (if we trade back) to play FS or that we sign one of the big hitting FS out there. Even trading for Darius would be exciting. Having this type of duo back there would make us much improved vs the run.

IF we could somehow keep Sammy and add another big hitter in our secondary we'd have the best 1-2 at SS -FS vs the run in the league...IMO
I think Sammy will have a sensational year under Saban if he comes back. He will get to do alot more of the things he is good at, such as patrolling the flats and stuffing the strongside run.

I'm also a big Sammy Knight fan. All I ever get from my friends and family is comparisons to him, so of course I have a vested interest in the guy. I would love to have Sammy Knight back, but I wonder how many guys 30+ Saban is willing to sign. Here's to hoping we get to see #24 back on our sideline again next year......

Baz said:
I'm also a big Sammy Knight fan. All I ever get from my friends and family is comparisons to him, so of course I have a vested interest in the guy. I would love to have Sammy Knight back, but I wonder how many guys 30+ Saban is willing to sign. Here's to hoping we get to see #24 back on our sideline again next year......

One thing in Sammy's favor is how strong he finished the season. He definately showed what he can do when he's not stuck in deep cover 2 most the time. The closer Sammy is the the LOS the better he is. If he'd played in that scheme all season he'd have easily double his picks and been among league leaders again. He also had several big hits in those last games under Bates as HC. Saban will hopfully value that and keep Sammy, as well as bring in a stud FS.

Sorry Baz, I know he's your boy and all, but I think it's time to wave bye-bye to Sammy, unless he'll come back for the vet minimum. There are too many talented safeties who can be had for cheap; it's always a position at the NFL level where there's an overflow of talent.

phunwin said:
Sorry Baz, I know he's your boy and all, but I think it's time to wave bye-bye to Sammy, unless he'll come back for the vet minimum. There are too many talented safeties who can be had for cheap; it's always a position at the NFL level where there's an overflow of talent.

I'm curious to hear which SS or FS we can get for the Vet minimum that are an upgrade to Sammy Knight. I can't think of one. I've heard others say the same thing you are saying, but I really cant think of any.

We're making a big mistake letting Sammy go before we secure a trade back in Round 1...if thats the case. The FA market at SS / FS is drying up fast and sammy wasnt asking for a big contract. KC's gain is going to be our loss....

"Knight has been one of the top safeties in the league, in terms of producing takeaways, for much of his NFL career. Even in 2004, in what some Dolphins coaches considered an average year for Knight, he still had four interceptions and one fumble recovery.

For his career, most of which was spent with the New Orleans Saints, Knight has 35 interceptions, 11 fumble recoveries, nine forced fumbles and 65 passes defensed."

Those numbers don't even include another of his best attrributes, that being knocking opponents out of the game with his big hits and stuffing the run in key situations.

All bets are off Round one IMO now that we have lost both our starting FS and SS. Rolle may be the pick.

Back
Top Bottom