San Francisco Negotiating with Rodgers | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

San Francisco Negotiating with Rodgers

Philter25 said:
I still dont get why tampa would take a QB when they just resigned Griese to a 5 year 30 million whatever deal..... unless they plan on having Rodgers or Smith ride the bench for 3 years.

Tampa signed Griese to a deal that basically can be revisited every offseason. It includes a roster bonus before each season, and if the production isn't there, Griese is gone. That said, giving up on Simms when you've already invested 2 years in your system with him is foolish. I remember draft day 2003, Gruden was touting Simms, calling him the steal of the 3rd round, expressing shock that he was still there.

It takes quite a long time to learn Gruden's system, as bland as its been over the past 2 seasons, because of all the verbage a player must utilize.

Surferosa said:
My big fear with the 49ers is that their crappy front office will trade down for subpar compensation. They can actually trump us by aksing for less desireable draft picks than what Saban is asking for. It doesnt do us any good if Saban is a tough negotiator if the team drafting BEFORE us is asking for less than we are. It makes the job for a team tryin gto trade up (such as Tampa Bay) much easier....

Though too, it is also in a team's best interest to not trade up any higher than necessary, even if the compensation is the same, b/c they'd have to give the same player, a contract commensurate with the pick he was selected with. Of course it is often just an educated guess how high a given team would need to trade up to, to get a given player.

013 said:
Boy da fins, i hope byroan sees your sig..he's too busy rubbing in their latst, 3rd....hahaha..t

I've seen it and it's wrong. Roy Williams has not been the coach of UNC for 17 years. :shakeno:

Back on topic. I don't want Benson as our RB.

MrClean said:
Smith? Rodgers? Benson? Brown? Edwards? Williams?

Heck, I want us to draft defense, we're a lot older on that side of the ball and need a big infusion of youthful talent.
Linehan and Houck will improve our offense by coaching them up.

I've decided the guy I want above all in round 1 is Shawne Merriman and I don't care where we draft him.

That sounds so Wannstedt.:shakeno:

Joey 22 said:
That sounds so Wannstedt.:shakeno:
That is really a low blow. It's almost as bad as if you'd have called me a Republican. :D

IMO, the top ten or so players all rate about the same, and IMO Merriman is a top ten player. To me, we could pick any of about ten players and it would not be a reach, since they rate so close to the same. There are not 3-4 guys who definitely stand out as the absolute cream of the crop. IMO, Antrel Rolle also would not be a reach at our pick.
If I would have made that comment earlier about a guy like Vernon Carey who was a marginal 1st rounder last year, (or any marginal 1st rounder for that matter) whom the Dolphins reached for by picking him as high as they did, that would be a Wannstedt like comment.

I do not like the idea of picking a RB high, b/c such a high pct of so called definite blue chip can't miss RBs end up being flops. It is the riskiest position to select high in the draft along with QB.

Boomer, you sure know how to the get peanut gallery fired up.

God only knows what the 49er's are going to do. They maybe pulling a fast one on all of us and draft Edwards. I'm not sure were that would leave us. My hope is that we can trade down and trade down again and accumulate picks. A late first and a couple second and third round selections could help us get back in the hunt. I'm sure Nick has done his homework. The way I see it, the more picks you have the greater chance you have on hitting on a future star. There are no guarantees on any of your picks, so get as many as you can.

Boomer said:
San Fran are negotiating with Rodgers as means to worry Alex Smith. Alex Smith is the 49ers guy. There is absolutely no doubt. The logic is that the Niners will attempt to create the false appearance that Rodgers is their guy to gain leverage in negotiations with Smith. Mike Nolan prefers Rodgers, but the rest of the scouting department and the D of PP and the GM all prefer Alex Smith.

This means that Miami will NOT take a QB as they have Smith much higher than Rodgers. They would desperately like to trade the pick - Saban would like to come away with 2 firsts and wants to add a TB and a David Pollack type. He is also very keen on Thomas Davis who the team apparently calls almost daily. But the trade partner is the big question. The Redskins have emerged as a possible to get Rodgers, as have the Lions, but it seems unlikely that we will fall that far so as to miss out on one of the top 3 backs. The Skins also have the hots for Troy Williamson and so may move up ahead of the Vikings but but not as high as us. That deal could go down with Tennessee who could still almost certainly get Antrell Rolle, the guy they covet, at that spot, or possibly Alex Barron.

The team wanting to get into the Rodgers derby is Tampa. They will do any deal with Chicago because the Bears want either Benson or Williams and if we take Benson at 2, then they get Williams at 4. If we take Williamsd at 2, they get their man Benson at 4. But whatever happens, Cleveland isn't taking a back and Tampa aren't taking Benson, so Chicago flip flops, Tampa moves up and makes any deal that the Skins, Lions or Cardinals might come up with even sweeter and more difficult. Tampa has 2 3's, so a flip flop to give the Bears back the 3 they lost in the Ogunleye trade makes sense.

I would strongly suggest that the top 5, without trades will be

1 - Smith - 49ers
2 - Benson - Miami
3 - Edwards - Cleveland
4 - Williams C - Chicago
5 - Rodgers - Tampa.

This info comes courtesy of a couple of places.

Other than the fact that Smith is who the 49ers like I seriously doubt anything else. I don't see Benson going 2nd overall. I do see us picking Rodgers and not because I want to. The Fins have talked plenty to Rodgers, probably the most out of any team.

Back
Top Bottom