San Francisco Negotiating with Rodgers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

San Francisco Negotiating with Rodgers

Boomer

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
San Fran are negotiating with Rodgers as means to worry Alex Smith. Alex Smith is the 49ers guy. There is absolutely no doubt. The logic is that the Niners will attempt to create the false appearance that Rodgers is their guy to gain leverage in negotiations with Smith. Mike Nolan prefers Rodgers, but the rest of the scouting department and the D of PP and the GM all prefer Alex Smith.

This means that Miami will NOT take a QB as they have Smith much higher than Rodgers. They would desperately like to trade the pick - Saban would like to come away with 2 firsts and wants to add a TB and a David Pollack type. He is also very keen on Thomas Davis who the team apparently calls almost daily. But the trade partner is the big question. The Redskins have emerged as a possible to get Rodgers, as have the Lions, but it seems unlikely that we will fall that far so as to miss out on one of the top 3 backs. The Skins also have the hots for Troy Williamson and so may move up ahead of the Vikings but but not as high as us. That deal could go down with Tennessee who could still almost certainly get Antrell Rolle, the guy they covet, at that spot, or possibly Alex Barron.

The team wanting to get into the Rodgers derby is Tampa. They will do any deal with Chicago because the Bears want either Benson or Williams and if we take Benson at 2, then they get Williams at 4. If we take Williamsd at 2, they get their man Benson at 4. But whatever happens, Cleveland isn't taking a back and Tampa aren't taking Benson, so Chicago flip flops, Tampa moves up and makes any deal that the Skins, Lions or Cardinals might come up with even sweeter and more difficult. Tampa has 2 3's, so a flip flop to give the Bears back the 3 they lost in the Ogunleye trade makes sense.

I would strongly suggest that the top 5, without trades will be

1 - Smith - 49ers
2 - Benson - Miami
3 - Edwards - Cleveland
4 - Williams C - Chicago
5 - Rodgers - Tampa.

This info comes courtesy of a couple of places.

This is interesting. I don't entirely disagree with your assessment. But, I wonder how you are so certain that the Dolphins have Smith that much higher than Rodgers? Especially with the Dolphins having to be so 'mum' about the issue.

The other question is, why the Bucs wouldn't try to trade with us, rather than Chicago? Unless the Bucs are certain we will not take a QB.

If I were Saban, I would have Rodgers in for another visit. I think that would stir the pot some.

Thanks for the material.

Oh and there will be 6 players on hand at the draft - Utah’s Alex Smith, California’s Aaron Rodgers, Michigan’s Braylon Edwards, Auburn’s Ronnie Brown and Miami (Fla.)’s Antrel Rolle. Texas RB Cedric Benson, according to NFL sources, is also expected to be extended an invitation. Be interesting if Mike Williams or Caddy go 2. :)

Da 'Fins said:
I wonder how you are so certain that the Dolphins have Smith that much higher than Rodgers? Especially with the Dolphins having to be so 'mum' about the issue.

The other question is, why the Bucs wouldn't try to trade with us, rather than Chicago? Unless the Bucs are certain we will not take a QB.

Gathering rumour re: Smith and Miami.

The Bucs would rather trade with Chicago because the compensation is less and they would seem to be assured that that's not what we will do.

Boomer... would that leave Ronnie Brown going to AZ at 8?

Do you think there is any chance of a trade down between us and tampa?

So if I understand you correctly, the idea would be to convince TB that we are hot for Rodgers in order to persuade them to move up.

Also, do you get the feeling that Saban would take Smith before a RB (Benson?)

Surferosa said:
So if I understand you correctly, the idea would be to convince TB that we are hot for Rodgers in order to persuade them to move up.

Also, do you get the feeling that Saban would take Smith before a RB (Benson?)

I don't at this stage see an us-Tampa trade being viable when they can do a cheaper deal elsewhere.

Boomer said:
San Fran are negotiating with Rodgers as means to worry Alex Smith. Alex Smith is the 49ers guy. There is absolutely no doubt. The logic is that the Niners will attempt to create the false appearance that Rodgers is their guy to gain leverage in negotiations with Smith. Mike Nolan prefers Rodgers, but the rest of the scouting department and the D of PP and the GM all prefer Alex Smith.

This means that Miami will NOT take a QB as they have Smith much higher than Rodgers. They would desperately like to trade the pick - Saban would like to come away with 2 firsts and wants to add a TB and a David Pollack type. He is also very keen on Thomas Davis who the team apparently calls almost daily. But the trade partner is the big question. The Redskins have emerged as a possible to get Rodgers, as have the Lions, but it seems unlikely that we will fall that far so as to miss out on one of the top 3 backs. The Skins also have the hots for Troy Williamson and so may move up ahead of the Vikings but but not as high as us. That deal could go down with Tennessee who could still almost certainly get Antrell Rolle, the guy they covet, at that spot, or possibly Alex Barron.

The team wanting to get into the Rodgers derby is Tampa. They will do any deal with Chicago because the Bears want either Benson or Williams and if we take Benson at 2, then they get Williams at 4. If we take Williamsd at 2, they get their man Benson at 4. But whatever happens, Cleveland isn't taking a back and Tampa aren't taking Benson, so Chicago flip flops, Tampa moves up and makes any deal that the Skins, Lions or Cardinals might come up with even sweeter and more difficult. Tampa has 2 3's, so a flip flop to give the Bears back the 3 they lost in the Ogunleye trade makes sense.

I would strongly suggest that the top 5, without trades will be

1 - Smith - 49ers
2 - Benson - Miami
3 - Edwards - Cleveland
4 - Williams C - Chicago
5 - Rodgers - Tampa.

This info comes courtesy of a couple of places.
I totally agree with your logic Boomer, makes a lot of sense to me.

What are the chances/repercussions of Miami taking a player to hold him "ransom"?

Danny1339 said:
What are the chances/repercussions of Miami taking a player to hold him "ransom"?

What, in a hostage style situation? With guns and bad guys?

Boomer said:
What, in a hostage style situation? With guns and bad guys?
:roflmao:

I think he meant us drafting Rodgers and forcing a trade down with the Buccs... great response.

Well Chaja's did it last year so we should do it with a Edwards or a Williams type or even D. Johnson. If no one bites than we still get a quality player.

Boomer said:
Mike Nolan prefers Rodgers, but the rest of the scouting department and the D of PP and the GM all prefer Alex Smith.

Gad, can you imagine our version of that: "Nick Saban prefers Rodgers, but the rest of the scouting department and the D of PP and the GM all prefer Alex Smith."

In that hypothetical case, I'd like to wager every planetary cent, lira, peso, or whatever that we would draft Aaron Rodgers.

Is Mike Nolan that much of a wimp, or puppet?

Awsi Dooger said:
Gad, can you imagine our version of that: "Nick Saban prefers Rodgers, but the rest of the scouting department and the D of PP and the GM all prefer Alex Smith."

In that hypothetical case, I'd like to wager every planetary cent, lira, peso, or whatever that we would draft Aaron Rodgers.

Is Mike Nolan that much of a wimp, or puppet?

GM gets the say so... Saban is our GM. Nolan is not the 49er's.

Hello Boomer,
I love all of your analysis, thanks! I just had a quick question for you. Why not Ronnie Brown with the second pick? Everything I've heard is that he is the better "all around" back? Sorry if this has been over before.
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom