SB ring in next two years, get Rodgers | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

SB ring in next two years, get Rodgers

It's as simple as Rodgers is a top 2 QB in the NFL so Miami would be stupid not to do it for the right price. I'd offer X and a first and see what happen
Gotcha, so Manning deserves no credit for making the Broncos better and for making 2 SBs in 3 years with them including 2013 when he won the NFL MVP award and passed for 55 TDs, but Rodgers deserves the blame for the Packers only making it to the SB once, and Tua deserves credit for the Dolphins being 10-6.

Tom Brady had 3 picks against the Packers in the NFC Championship game last year and benefitted from an Aaron Jones fumble inside his own 10, we should probably put an asterisk besides that as well.
I specially pointed out the SB the Broncos actually won while Manning was with the Broncos. In the years prior to the year they won the SB Manning played very well but if Tua put up the stats Manning did during the year they actually won the SB, you would be demanding they get rid of Tua immediately.

I think prior to that year, Manning was one of the best QB’s in NFL history but he basically sucked in his last year in the NFL. What the Broncos proved that year was that you need a great defense and an excellent running game and you can still win a SB with a lousy QB.

As far as Brady last year. The Bucs beat the Chiefs because the Chiefs OL was devastated by injury before the SB and the Bucs defense controlled the game. Brady played okay in the game but he certainly wasn’t the reason the Bucs won the SB. He passed for only 145 yards and one TD in the game. He didn’t lose the game for the Bucs but he certainly wasn’t the reason they won It either.

I just find it interesting that the stats of Brady and Manning in their last SB appearances were both subpar, yet this is somehow better than a rookie QB who only played 9 games last year.

I fully understand Tua has a long way to go before he can be considered a top tier QB in the NFL. I never stated he deserved the credit for the Dolphins 10-6 record last year. He played well in some games and didn’t play well in others. Just as most rookie QB’s do in their first season in the NFL. Perhaps you need to go back and look how bad Peyton Manning was as a rookie QB.

Fortunately it appears the Dolphins are willing to give Tua the opportunity to develop and see if he can be their long term answer at the QB position. I would rather see them go with Tua than to trade multiple high draft picks and possible players for Rogers or Watson. If it doesn’t work out with Tua, they can draft another QB in 2023. I just think he is worth the risk and obviously you don’t. I can live with that.

I specially pointed out the SB the Broncos actually won while Manning was with the Broncos. In the years prior to the year they won the SB Manning played very well but if Tua put up the stats Manning did during the year they actually won the SB, you would be demanding they get rid of Tua immediately.

I think prior to that year, Manning was one of the best QB’s in NFL history but he basically sucked in his last year in the NFL. What the Broncos proved that year was that you need a great defense and an excellent running game and you can still win a SB with a lousy QB.

As far as Brady last year. The Bucs beat the Chiefs because the Chiefs OL was devastated by injury before the SB and the Bucs defense controlled the game. Brady played okay in the game but he certainly wasn’t the reason the Bucs won the SB. He passed for only 145 yards and one TD in the game. He didn’t lose the game for the Bucs but he certainly wasn’t the reason they won It either.

I just find it interesting that the stats of Brady and Manning in their last SB appearances were both subpar, yet this is somehow better than a rookie QB who only played 9 games last year.

I fully understand Tua has a long way to go before he can be considered a top tier QB in the NFL. I never stated he deserved the credit for the Dolphins 10-6 record last year. He played well in some games and didn’t play well in others. Just as most rookie QB’s do in their first season in the NFL. Perhaps you need to go back and look how bad Peyton Manning was as a rookie QB.

Fortunately it appears the Dolphins are willing to give Tua the opportunity to develop and see if he can be their long term answer at the QB position. I would rather see them go with Tua than to trade multiple high draft picks and possible players for Rogers or Watson. If it doesn’t work out with Tua, they can draft another QB in 2023. I just think he is worth the risk and obviously you don’t. I can live with that.
Tua is worth the risk in that he is our QB right now and we have no choice. I am hopeful and optimistic about him but i would prefer the sure thing in Rodgers or Watson over him based on what he has shown so far in a heartbeat.

If it helps to clarify, I would prefer Watson or Rodgers over Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence, Fields, and Lance as well.

Last edited:
Tua is worth the risk in that he is our QB right now and we have no choice. I am hopeful and optimistic about him but i would prefer the sure thing in Rodgers or Watson over him based on what he has shown so far in a heartbeat.
Seems like 9 games isn't enough to make a decision that big

If it helps to clarify, I would prefer Watson or Rodgers over Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence, Fields, and Lance as well.
I fully understand where you are coming from. My issue is what it would take to trade for either of these QB’s and the money against the cap which would make it extremely difficult to keep better players once their rookie contracts expire.

In 2022, Watson will have a cap hit over $40 million for the season. The Dolphins have stated that their goal is to build through the draft and to build a team that will contend for several years. Going after either Watson or Rogers certainly doesn’t assure a SB appearance but it would have a major impact on the Dolphins salary cap and their ability to build through the draft for the foreseeable future.

I like the idea of building through the draft and building around Tua, who I believe will be a top tier QB within 2 years. That doesn’t take away from the fact I agree with you that both Rogers and Watson are presently proven elite QB’s in the NFL.

I fully understand where you are coming from. My issue is what it would take to trade for either of these QB’s and the money against the cap which would make it extremely difficult to keep better players once their rookie contracts expire.

In 2022, Watson will have a cap hit over $40 million for the season. The Dolphins have stated that their goal is to build through the draft and to build a team that will contend for several years. Going after either Watson or Rogers certainly doesn’t assure a SB appearance but it would have a major impact on the Dolphins salary cap and their ability to build through the draft for the foreseeable future.

I like the idea of building through the draft and building around Tua, who I believe will be a top tier QB within 2 years. That doesn’t take away from the fact I agree with you that both Rogers and Watson are presently proven elite QB’s in the NFL.
The only teams that contend for several years are the ones with elite QBs. I'd rather have a proven one then keep my fingers crossed on one. Just my opinion.

That would be incredible. It's just that the odds don't say he will.
It should be noted that not many teams thought Watson or Rogers would be that good in the NFL either. That is why Watson was only the third QB taken in the draft after 10 players were drafted before him. Rogers was the 24th player player taken in his draft and he sat on the bench for 3 years before he became the Packers starting QB.

The odds are stacked against every QB drafted by the NFL teams but those odds tend to work out for some QB’s nearly every year. So while the odds of Tua reaching an elite level in the NFL, I am willing to take my chances and hopefully he will turn out to be one of thise QB’s that beats the odds.

The only teams that contend for several years are the ones with elite QBs. I'd rather have a proven one then keep my fingers crossed on one. Just my opinion.
I agree you need an elite QB to be a consistent contender. The difference between you and me in regards to Tua are expectations. You think he will just be another Alabama QB who fails at the NFL level. I view him as a QB who has the work ethic and skill set that will allow him to become an elite QB in the NFL over the next few years.

If I’m wrong, the Dolphins will just draft another QB in the next few years. If I’m right, the Dolphins will be set at QB for the next decade or more and the Dolphins will be a consistent SB contender. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

understood. but it is possible and would be an historic blunder to give up on him if he did
Even that, we can have a proven elite QB who put us in SB contention instantly, i would not call it an historic blunder. Nothing can top us passing on Brees twice.

The point is, i want to eliminate 'what if'.
You do realize that even if they trade for Rogers or Watson, there is no guarantee the Dolphins will make it to the SB or even make the playoffs. Because even with either of them at QB for the Dolphins, Mahomes will still be the best QB in the NFL and the Bills will still be the best team in the AFC East.

Back
Top Bottom