SB ring in next two years, get Rodgers | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

SB ring in next two years, get Rodgers

That’s funny. Keep kidding yourself. I left out Ben Roethlisberger, Russell Wilson, and Tom Brady from the list because they were so obvious. Do you believe that Rodgers has had less fourth quarter opportunities than all those QBs on list? Rodgers comes up empty quite a bit in big moments.
He averages over 2 4th qtr comebacks/game winning drives per season. Go home with this absolutely ridiculous argument. You have to be in position to do that. When he gets the chance, he makes it happen. How many MVPs does Ben have? Russell? Brady has 3 in 20 years!! Argue something with merit.

How about you go look at the fact that the guy has 89 career interceptions! 89! 89! 6600 attempts. How many does Ben have (over 200)? Russell has 81 in 2300 less attempts. On top of the fact he may be the most accurate thrower on the run that's ever lived.

Build the team... The Qb will follow ...

You can add all the mega stars you want if you want to gamble on a championship .... sure it will tear your roster apart with salary cap issues ... sure you will have to give up future draft picks (who cares they are a gamble anyway , right?) ... sure it would be fun to watch ... yeah we would get media attention .... sure it will probably help ticket sales ...

Then in 2 yrs. we can start all over again ... sure we won't have any $ for FA's ... yeah we won't have as many draft picks ... but hell we are used to that so the transition shouldn't be so tough to endure ....

hard for me to understand the short term thinking among fans... harder to believe there are 12 pages of debate on this subject ... yeah I know i'm contributing to the heap but it's June and real topics are dry
I get your line of thinking but if you miss on one in the draft, it sets you back 5 years. People are arguing for a better chance in the now. Every great QB makes a ton and affects the salary cap. Shelf life of teams to be great is short. If Tua fails, the roster will turn over again before we develop another. You rebuild in the long term and we've done that, now you have to try to make a run. However, Flo is a professional so I'm with him. It's always a great debate.

He averages over 2 4th qtr comebacks/game winning drives per season. Go home with this absolutely ridiculous argument. You have to be in position to do that. When he gets the chance, he makes it happen. How many MVPs does Ben have? Russell? Brady has 3 in 20 years!! Argue something with merit.

How about you go look at the fact that the guy has 89 career interceptions! 89! 89! 6600 attempts. How many does Ben have (over 200)? Russell has 81 in 2300 less attempts. On top of the fact he may be the most accurate thrower on the run that's ever lived.
Great. Why so many failures in big moments? Why only one Super Bowl appearance? The guy has a personality flaw. He has an abrasive personality and he checks out when things are not going his way. Everyone knows that he is talented but let’s not pretend that he has no flaws.
He is now 37 years old, has had a few injuries along the way, and has been flirting with life after football. With Miami being such a young team and with Rodgers being near the end of his career and wanting to play on the west coast, I don’t think it is a good fit for him or the team.

I'm curious, are there any QB's in the league right now you'd be open to having instead of Tua?
Whether it's Watson (who is currently out of the picture) or Rodgers, these guys are going to demand a ton of future draft capital to obtain. Matt Stafford just cost the Rams two 1st's. Sam ****ing Darnold cost a 2nd, 4th, and 6th.

It's nice we added playmakers, but we still even have question marks there. Can Fuller play more than 11 games? Is Waddle actually any good? As excited as we are for him, he could either be a bust or take time to develop. Time Rodgers doesn't have.

We also still have a suspect line that has absolutely no chance of matching the elite level the GB line played at last year.

And even regarding our highly touted "top 5" defense. Are we actually that good? We ranked 22nd in passing yards and 16th in rushing yards (below average efficiency in both). The only areas we truly stood out in was leading the league in turnovers and opponent 3rd down conversion. Both by a decent margin. Is the scoring total success we had repeatable when we were actually below average at stopping teams from moving the ball?

Now do I believe in Waddle and Fuller? Yes. Do I think our Oline will improve? Yes. Do I believe in our defense? Yes, again.

But maybe that's the fan in me. I'm merely playing devil's advocate to those that are so damn sure this team is plug and play ready to be SB contenders with Rodgers.

If we aren't we are giving up easily a minimum of 3 first rounders (that's just the starting point) to find out if this team is even on the same level as last year's GB team. That also doesn't factor in the guys we'd have to give up to get under the cap to fit in Rodgers' salary.

If what we have isn't enough we have a very limited time frame to improve w a QB that turns 38 during the season. And all that extra draft capital we have built up will be gone (and then some). We have little avenue to improve if this current team plus Rodgers is not actually enough.

I know Tua is an extremely polarizing player. We could have had Herbert... I know. But Tua was 9 months removed from a dislocated hip and people are acting like we are in any position to truly evaluate him. Before last season, (considering the injury he was coming back from) I would have never imagined so many would have their minds made up about how good he could be at this point, no matter how he performed in 2020.

I'm just not convinced that actually seeing what we have with Tua while retaining our draft capital and not completely destroying our current cap situation isn't a better path forward than selling the farm for Rodgers.

But to you question. There are plenty of QB's I'd take over Tua.

A better question is are there any QB's that are available where a trade for them would be preferable over Tua when you factor in the expected draft capital to attain them and salary cap implications. I currently don't think there are any better options, when u factor in long and short term value, on the market (now that Watson is off it).

If you can give a specific deal for a specific QB it would be more helpful.

Great. Why so many failures in big moments? Why only one Super Bowl appearance? The guy has a personality flaw. He has an abrasive personality and he checks out when things are not going his way. Everyone knows that he is talented but let’s not pretend that he has no flaws.
He is now 37 years old, has had a few injuries along the way, and has been flirting with life after football. With Miami being such a young team and with Rodgers being near the end of his career and wanting to play on the west coast, I don’t think it is a good fit for him or the team.
I don't think he's had as many big moment failures as you're throwing out there. The fact that he has a ring with the supporting cast of defenses they've had is a miracle. He won a super bowl despite Mike McCarthy being their coach. He's a dynamic personality no doubt but the fact that his teammates are backing him has to speak a bit to the situation, doesn't it?

The age argument would be fine if he wasn't just named MVP. What are the injures you speak of because the guy we have one center now has a new hip? I'm saying you win in the now. Contacts only allow for the now. It's not baseball where you can build and build a stable of prospects. You need to draft well, get them on the field and they need to play well immediately. If you have a chance to give up a few late 1st rounders to get the reigning MVP, pull the trigger. Those picks are meaningless if you don't have the guy under center.

Whether it's Watson (who is currently out of the picture) or Rodgers, these guys are going to demand a ton of future draft capital to obtain. Matt Stafford just cost the Rams two 1st's. Sam ****ing Darnold cost a 2nd, 4th, and 6th.

It's nice we added playmakers, but we still even have question marks there. Can Fuller play more than 11 games? Is Waddle actually any good? As excited as we are for him, he could either be a bust or take time to develop. Time Rodgers doesn't have.

We also still have a suspect line that has absolutely no chance of matching the elite level the GB line played at last year.

And even regarding our highly touted "top 5" defense. Are we actually that good? We ranked 22nd in passing yards and 16th in rushing yards (below average efficiency in both). The only areas we truly stood out in was leading the league in turnovers and opponent 3rd down conversion. Both by a decent margin. Is the scoring total success we had repeatable when we were actually below average at stopping teams from moving the ball?

Now do I believe in Waddle and Fuller? Yes. Do I think our Oline will improve? Yes. Do I believe in our defense? Yes, again.

But maybe that's the fan in me. I'm merely playing devil's advocate to those that are so damn sure this team is plug and play ready to be SB contenders with Rodgers.

If we aren't we are giving up easily a minimum of 3 first rounders (that's just the starting point) to find out if this team is even on the same level as last year's GB team. That also doesn't factor in the guys we'd have to give up to get under the cap to fit in Rodgers' salary.

If what we have isn't enough we have a very limited time frame to improve w a QB that turns 38 during the season. And all that extra draft capital we have built up will be gone (and then some). We have little avenue to improve if this current team plus Rodgers is not actually enough.

I know Tua is an extremely polarizing player. We could have had Herbert... I know. But Tua was 9 months removed from a dislocated hip and people are acting like we are in any position to truly evaluate him. Before last season, (considering the injury he was coming back from) I would have never imagined so many would have their minds made up about how good he could be at this point, no matter how he performed in 2020.

I'm just not convinced that actually seeing what we have with Tua while retaining our draft capital and not completely destroying our current cap situation isn't a better path forward than selling the farm for Rodgers.

A better question is are there any QB's that are available where a trade for them would be preferable over Tua when you factor in the expected draft capital to attain them and salary cap implications. I currently don't think there are any better options, when u factor in long and short term value, on the market (now that Watson is off it).

The answer to this should be no, because you give whatever it takes to get a proven superstar QB. You win now. This team is ready to do that. We've drafted well and we will still have plenty of picks.

I don't think he's had as many big moment failures as you're throwing out there. The fact that he has a ring with the supporting cast of defenses they've had is a miracle. He won a super bowl despite Mike McCarthy being their coach. He's a dynamic personality no doubt but the fact that his teammates are backing him has to speak a bit to the situation, doesn't it?

The age argument would be fine if he wasn't just named MVP. What are the injures you speak of because the guy we have one center now has a new hip? I'm saying you win in the now. Contacts only allow for the now. It's not baseball where you can build and build a stable of prospects. You need to draft well, get them on the field and they need to play well immediately. If you have a chance to give up a few late 1st rounders to get the reigning MVP, pull the trigger. Those picks are meaningless if you don't have the guy under center.
It's a miracle he has a ring with the supporting cast of defense they've had? He won his only SB with the #2 defense in the NFL. He's also had the #7, #13, #12, #9, #13 defense. A lesser QB in Eli Manning won 2 SB's with a defense ranked #17 and a defense ranked 25th.

We had the 6th ranked defense last year that gave up 30+ points to every top 10 QB we faced. Don't think Rodgers would fair much better here.

Last edited:
The answer to this should be no, because you give whatever it takes to get a proven superstar QB. You win now. This team is ready to do that. We've drafted well and we will still have plenty of picks.
First you say you give whatever it takes, and then that we'd still have plenty of picks.

How much are you exactly envisioning he would cost us, and is there ANY price that would be too much for you?

I personally would love to have Rodgers. I just expect the actual price to be too high. So give me your hypothetical deal and I'll tell if I would do it.

I would start with X (worth 2 first rounders) and a first for Rodgers and see what they counter with. X wants a new contract and his trade value will probably never be higher, and trading him would help absorb Rodgers' salary. Tua can sit behind Rodgers for a few years, then take over just like Rodgers did with Favre. Again, it's not happening but we are just having an offseason fantasy conversation.

That's not how the league works.

Tua is our qb. Deal with it.
No, that's not how the league works, it's how a forum where there's not much else to talk about at the moment works.

I'm perfectly fine with Tua as our QB, I think he'll improve dramatically this year and will be cheering just as loudly as anyone else for him. But he's no Aaron Rodgers by any means.

I love how It always seems to be someone else's fault when it comes to Aaron Rodgers. Yet many on here can't see the extenuating circumstances that led to an average rookie season by Tua.
It's not just the age that's the issue. It's how committed is Rodgers to continue his career and for how long and would he even want to play in Miami. Rodgers has had two broken collarbones and a few concussions also. Rodgers is 37 and it's harder for older guys to bounce back from injuries.

I love how It always seems to be someone else's fault when it comes to Aaron Rodgers. Yet many on here can't see the extenuating circumstances that led to an average rookie season by Tua.
It's not just the age that's the issue. It's how committed is Rodgers to continue his career and for how long and would he even want to play in Miami. Rodgers has had two broken collarbones and a few concussions also. Rodgers is 37 and it's harder for older guys to bounce back from injuries.
I think there's a new type of TDS, it's Tua Derangement Syndrome. It's when a fan is so all in on Tua, that they can't bring themselves to think that any other QB in the NFL would make our team better than Tua will, and they find any reason they can to be critical of any other QB, even sure fire Hall of Famers coming off MVP seasons that are light years better than Tua is right now.

I think there's a new type of TDS, it's Tua Derangement Syndrome. It's when a fan is so all in on Tua, that they can't bring themselves to think that any other QB in the NFL would make our team better than Tua will, and they find any reason they can to be critical of any other QB, even sure fire Hall of Famers coming off MVP seasons that are light years better than Tua is right now.
It's called having no understanding of what it takes to win now in the NFL. Sad, but true.

Back
Top Bottom