Scary things and non production | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Scary things and non production

Padrefinfan

Active Roster
Reaction score
We all hated Gase and staff. But that staff got production from Wilson and Grant, plus more. I am worried that this coaching staff is either overlooking players or just not getting production with coordinating? Yay, getting production from unknown and unproven..... But if you fire someone who gets production out of players, only to hire someone who cannot get anything even resembling production, from those same players..... Is that fail? Is it incompetence? What did a fail coaching staff see that the new staff cannot? I am down with the rebuild, but hate seeing assets wasted or misused. The staff is either not trying and ****, doing the players a major disservice, failing on purpose, or just incompetent. It would be nice to know?

Last edited:
They're getting more production from Gesicki and Parker and less from Wilson and Grant...sounds like a different style of play, prioritising different types of players and a different style of QB, all of which means more production for big bodies rather than gadget plays. I loved what Wilson and Grant did in the first half of last year, but a whole new coaching team are going to bring in a new style, and that can mean certain types of players are valued higher than other types.

Add to that the fact that Wilson has been injured, and with a horrific line it's going to be hard to get consistent production out of any receiver, and it's not really fair to compare the two.

But a major need for the team is exactly the role that both Wilson and Grant can play? When the Oline is garbage.. bail outs like slot receivers, hb's, and te's are amazing. But I actually did the math and it is not as far off as I thought, so you have a good point!

Last edited:
The worst thing about Grant not being as useful in this offense is that we just have him a pretty decent contract in training camp. I think it’s something like 6mil/year. Not a huge cap number but it made more sense when he had bigger role.

one good thing about grants contract, IIRC, its an easy out every year without a major hit. We need players like grant who can keep the safeties honest over the top, but we've never really given him a chance in the slot cause of his size. honestly hes pretty much a short outside wr who canget some gimmic plays. Dont get me wrong, he made a few nice catches last year, especially the leaping one in the endzone, but ideally you'd rather players like DVP or Preston be able to be quality focal points if they can get seperation.

as far as wilson goes, he has been healthy, but it still seems they prefer the 6'3" Hurns in the slot compared to 5'9" wilson. just seems we are trying to get a few more big bodies with larger catch radiuses on the field compared to Gase's midgets. Neither one is a bad scheme, but you need the players for your scheme. Do you really want to see Grant or Wilson do anything cute lining up behind this LOS. we saw what happened with that trick play to wilson sunday. trick plays dont work as well when you're OL cant block, and hopefully we are building an NFL offense not a gimmicky offense that works time to time.

The entire team is stripped down to journeymen at this point. They will never produce against any squad that is even 1/2 way more assembled with true Pros (Redskins? Cincinnati?). This season was over before it started & the only question now is can they rebuild it to be better than 8-8 when they are actually trying again.

The worst thing about Grant not being as useful in this offense is that we just have him a pretty decent contract in training camp. I think it’s something like 6mil/year. Not a huge cap number but it made more sense when he had bigger role.
That was yet another mistake by this front office.

We all hated Gase and staff. But that staff got production from Wilson and Grant, plus more. I am worried that this coaching staff is either overlooking players or just not getting production with coordinating? Yay, getting production from unknown and unproven..... But if you fire someone who gets production out of players, only to hire someone who cannot get anything even resembling production, from those same players..... Is that fail? Is it incompetence? What did a fail coaching staff see that the new staff cannot? I am down with the rebuild, but hate seeing assets wasted or misused. The staff is either not trying and ****, doing the players a major disservice, failing on purpose, or just incompetent. It would be nice to know?

Offense is light years behind Gases & Philbins...never thought I could ever utter those words
RT threw for 4k yards and over 25td's twice under those two with limited talent and very subpar OLines

I think in a better offense Wilson would be used more, it's weird that he isn't used more in the Jarvis Landry dump it off role given the OL we have. I hope as the season progresses he becomes a bigger part of the offense. Grant is a gadget player who is on pace to be about as productive as he's. always been so he's on course for a Jakeem Grant type of season.

But a major need for the team is exactly the role that both Wilson and Grant can play? When the Oline is garbage.. bail outs like slot receivers, hb's, and te's are amazing. But I actually did the math and it is not as far off as I thought, so you have a good point!
In theory that's a fair point but it should be clear to anyone who watched the Washington game that screens and dump offs still need effective blocking to work. Maybe as Wilson gets back to full health and teams start to respect (lol) our passing game it will open up more scope to get Wilson involved in that manner.

Both Wilson and Grant are coming off injuries and the after-effects of their chronic symptoms. As this offensive line begins to gel (as we are seeing) these guys will start making more plays. Grant is a gadget guy only 4th or 5th receiver.

Offense is light years behind Gases & Philbins...never thought I could ever utter those words
RT threw for 4k yards and over 25td's twice under those two with limited talent and very subpar OLines

Tannehill only did that under Philbin he never threw 25 TD’s under Gase. That is bullshit. I trust the new staff more than both especially after watching the Jets last night. Gase is an idiot Who I can’t believe I thought would be a good coach. How many times did the Pats scheme up free rushers with no counter bu Gase. He was just as ineffective with Sam Darnold as he was with Luke Falk.

Rebuild. This season is all about seeing who and what we have. The younger guys will get their chance first

They're getting more production from Gesicki and Parker and less from Wilson and Grant...sounds like a different style of play, prioritising different types of players and a different style of QB, all of which means more production for big bodies rather than gadget plays. I loved what Wilson and Grant did in the first half of last year, but a whole new coaching team are going to bring in a new style, and that can mean certain types of players are valued higher than other types.

Add to that the fact that Wilson has been injured, and with a horrific line it's going to be hard to get consistent production out of any receiver, and it's not really fair to compare the two.
Are they? Parker not even on pace for his best seasons in '16 and '17. Gesicki is ahead of the curve. Hard to get Wilson involved when he's not playing. They rushed him back too soon.

Back
Top Bottom