Schefter: Dolphins Will Rebuild Lines In 2019; Are Eyeing A Top Ten Pick And New Qb In 2020 Draft | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Schefter: Dolphins Will Rebuild Lines In 2019; Are Eyeing A Top Ten Pick And New Qb In 2020 Draft

I hope that rebuilding the lines doesn't include jettisoning Wake and James. We have enough holes to fill without creating more.

This team is getting younger and Wake just isn't what he was before. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not on the team next year

Well Brees was at the end of the 2nd round, we all know about Brady and that is not the model to follow draft wise, Mahomes was the 10th pick, and Goff went 1st overall.... so your post is kind of all over the place

He was very top of 2nd round

You got it then you might get a QB all over the place not just the first overall pick.

I have a feeling many people are expecting us to win very few games next year. But many people are overlooking some very important factors in this process.

We won 7 games with an injury depleted team that had the worst defense we have ever fielded (statistically). We experienced subpar play calling and scheming on both sides of the ball. Our QB play was average at best. Yet, we won 7 games and were in several others.

The D is quietly a few easy fixes away from being a playoff defense. Rebuild the DL and a new DC and this defense can hang with any non-playoff team and keep us in the game against a playoff team.

Rebuild the OL and get a competent play caller with a balanced offense and we can score 20 - 30pts easily. And we can get that done with Fales or Falk at QB. Because I believe RT and BO are gone as soon as the draft. My point is we have talent. Maybe not elite talent, but we have competitive talent.

Are we ELITE? NO.

Do we need a rebuild? YES.

Are we completely devoid of talent? NO.

We have a very solid and young base. In the NFL, very little separates most teams. Step back from the ledge. Re-evaluate some things. There are losing teams. There are winning teams. There are playoff teams. There are contending teams. And then there is the best team.

We have fans thinking 1, 2, 3 wins next season. You're looking at this without taking into account what we have. Remember, Grier has drafted most of these players on rookie contracts. For the most part, those guys are staying. We don't have to immediately replace them. We have some vets that won't be retained. But we are not going to completely gut and purge. Anyone thinking that has overlooked the fact Grier has been here the whole time. Had we replaced Grier and started over, then yes I agree we would be looking at a 3 or 4 win season. But we aren't. So, many of these young guys will stick.

We won 7 games with a sham offense and a joke of a defense. You mean to tell me we are going to win less games with DL and OL upgrades along with better coaches? Nope. Not happening. We will take some lumps to learn new schemes and get cohesion, but we have the talent to keep us competitive.

You don't need elite QBs to be a winning team. You don't need elite anything to be a winning team. Scheme and coaching can get you close to .500. Players like Tunsil, X, Minkah, Baker, Drake, Wilson, Grant and Stills will keep us above .500 while we rebuild.

If we draft 2 or 3 legit starters for the DL and OL this year, we will be in playoff contention. And I suspect we will be drafting in a similar position next year. So, if you are expecting to tank... it would have to be a willful decision made by coaches. We simply have too much talent for BETTER coaches to lose.

I have a feeling many people are expecting us to win very few games next year. But many people are overlooking some very important factors in this process.

We won 7 games with an injury depleted team that had the worst defense we have ever fielded (statistically). We experienced subpar play calling and scheming on both sides of the ball. Our QB play was average at best. Yet, we won 7 games and were in several others.

The D is quietly a few easy fixes away from being a playoff defense. Rebuild the DL and a new DC and this defense can hang with any non-playoff team and keep us in the game against a playoff team.

Rebuild the OL and get a competent play caller with a balanced offense and we can score 20 - 30pts easily. And we can get that done with Fales or Falk at QB. Because I believe RT and BO are gone as soon as the draft. My point is we have talent. Maybe not elite talent, but we have competitive talent.

Are we ELITE? NO.

We have a very solid and young base. In the NFL, very little separates most teams. Step back from the ledge. Re-evaluate some things. There are losing teams. There are winning teams. There are playoff teams. There are contending teams. And then there is the best team.

We have fans thinking 1, 2, 3 wins next season. You're looking at this without taking into account what we have. Remember, Grier has drafted most of these players on rookie contracts. For the most part, those guys are staying. We don't have to immediately replace them. We have some vets that won't be retained. But we are not going to completely gut and purge. Anyone thinking that has overlooked the fact Grier has been here the whole time. Had we replaced Grier and started over, then yes I agree we would be looking at a 3 or 4 win season. But we aren't. So, many of these young guys will stick.

We won 7 games with a sham offense and a joke of a defense. You mean to tell me we are going to win less games with DL and OL upgrades along with better coaches? Nope. Not happening. We will take some lumps to learn new schemes and get cohesion, but we have the talent to keep us competitive.

You don't need elite QBs to be a winning team. You don't need elite anything to be a winning team. Scheme and coaching can get you close to .500. Players like Tunsil, X, Minkah, Baker, Drake, Wilson, Grant and Stills will keep us above .500 while we rebuild.

If we draft 2 or 3 legit starters for the DL and OL this year, we will be in playoff contention. And I suspect we will be drafting in a similar position next year. So, if you are expecting to tank... it would have to be a willful decision made by coaches. We simply have too much talent for BETTER coaches to lose.

Most of what you said makes good sense and it is quite possible we will be better this year. We could be a 6-10 win team with these changes and many things going our way (health). However, with Falk or Fales we likely are a 3-5 win team. I think the difficult thing is to keep our stars (Wilson, Drake, X, Fitz engaged enough to hon in on their skills but careful not to expose additional injury (Grant & Wilson). Another year for Baker and McMillan will be huge. Another off-season and major time for Giesicki and Symthe next season will make each better. Play Ford, Caroo and other young wide receivers more, perhaps equal time with Wilson/Grant.

This team is getting younger and Wake just isn't what he was before. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not on the team next year
True but they need to keep some old heads around. I don't know what kind of salary he'll be demanding but he's the perfect example of a vet that we should be keeping around to give some balance to having an increasing number of younger players.

I think you might be misreading, it's round 2 with the 32nd pick overall, not the 32nd pick in round 2. He was taken with the first pick in round 2.
Ahhh good catch thanks, I did think that seemed wrong when i looked It up

Are we ELITE? NO.

Brother, the 4 teams left playing have elite QBs or if you don't want to include Goff and Mahomes due to limited history, 2 elite QBs and 2 QBs that played at an elite level.

You need a QB.

And we were a missed FG and a miracle away from 5 wins.

We do have young talent and it would've been interesting to see what this team would've looked like healthy.

I still don't believe, even if healthy, that we could/can compete with the big boys. And that has to be the goal.

You need a QB for that.

I agree with this. Building a team piece by piece is the stale conventional wisdom approach. It does not fit the current NFL. The league now rewards scoring and does not offer many ways to prevent scoring.

Playoff level is not meaningful level. We are mostly kidding ourselves if we feel great about fortifying the offensive line, etc. Those wild card round teams are still Crowd teams and essentially not much different than fellow Crowd teams that went 6-10. The only way to separate is to find that freakish quarterback who enables legit potential for a first round bye. Kansas City in many ways is a weaker team than pre Mahomes. But who cares?
Yet you are disproving your own rationale.

Every one of the final 4 teams looks the same, as you mention, good QB and good defense.

Team...……………...QB...………………………….Defense
Patriots...…………..Tom Brady...……………..Check
Chiefs...……………..Pat Mahomes…………...Check
Saints...……………..Drew Brees……………….Check
Rams...……………...Jared Goff...……………….Check

OK, I'm not particularly a fan of Jared Goff, and I think Sean McVay has made him look far better than he is. But, there's no debating the other 3 QB's. The Dolphins are NOT obtaining a QB of that caliber in the 2019 Draft.

Defense, we could go in depth about their stats and their anchor players, but suffice it to say that all four are strong defenses. The Saints jumped from mediocrity to elite status because their defense improved. Kansas City moved from good to elite because their offense--fueled by Pat Mahomes--made huge strides to join their already strong defense. The talented Rams defense gained a fantastic DC in Wade Phillips and added Ndamakong Suh to pair with All-Pro Aaron Donald, that's a massive shot in the arm for their defense. Then Sean McVay orchestrated a massive turnaround from former #1 overall draft pick Jared Goff at QB.

The Dolphins are not getting an elite QB in the 2019 draft. That leaves the path to imitating this year's final four teams as building up our defense in a year where there are a lot of defensive prospects. So yeah, the "conventional wisdom" approach seems to make the most sense, and you're backing up doing just that. If you want the QB which you seem to be identifying as the critical element--and I do not disagree--then the best approach to finding that is to assure ourselves a top 5 draft pick in 2020.

You may dislike it, but you're saying that exactly what we need is exactly what the conventional wisdom says we need.

In terms of the 2020 qb class you watch that Justin Herbert tape there’s some unevenness to it. Wow you one play leave you wanting more the next.

Ball explodes out of his arm. Somewhat of a 3/4 delivery but at that height I don’t think it matters.

Not sure he’s got it between the ears though. Which makes it eegads dicey

Big big 2019 for him.
Yeah that's the whole ball of wax though isn't it. Herbert's physical tools are stellar, cannon arm, bit tall, strong, somewhat mobile, he's not a Josh Allen type, but if he could put it all together he could be great. Unfortunatley, his footwork isn't where it needs to be and his accuracy is very hit and miss. He can be precise and wow you one play, then just plain miss the next. I don't see great vision or release, and I'm always wary of read and react ability from the teams out west. Those are the reasons--primarily his accuracy--that led me to recommend he stay in college for one more year, despite being the top rated QB prospect in 2019 and having a lot of competition in the 2020 draft.

If Herbert puts it all together, he'll be in great demand, and likely the top overall pick … but I don't have a lot of faith that he'll ever do that. His vision, read and react, and game savvy aren't where they need to be for my liking. The accuracy is obviously what's holding him back, but even if he fixes that … he strikes me as one of those candidates that just isn't going to reach his athletic ceiling.

I'm still on-board with Jake Fromm in 2020. For me, he's the best 2020 QB prospect.

Brother, the 4 teams left playing have elite QBs or if you don't want to include Goff and Mahomes due to limited history, 2 elite QBs and 2 QBs that played at an elite level.

You need a QB.

And we were a missed FG and a miracle away from 5 wins.

We do have young talent and it would've been interesting to see what this team would've looked like healthy.

I still don't believe, even if healthy, that we could/can compete with the big boys. And that has to be the goal.

You need a QB for that.
Sister, you missed the point.

I stated we are NOT a 1, 2 or 3 team win even with our current roster. And my point about Fales and Falk is we have enough supporting talent on this roster to keep us competitive. COMPETITIVE is NOT TANKING.

The only way this current collection of talent tanks is IF we purge. And we won't.

Any average QB can get us to .500 with this roster.

We are talking about "tanking". To tank, it would have to willful. It would have to be the coaches TRYING to lose. And, honestly, if that happens then no player on this current team will want to play here anymore. So, you're effectively gutting.

It won't happen because Grier picked a lot of these younger players. He will continue to pick people who fit the same mold as he has picked in his players.

I'm not in a QB conversation. I'm not even in a conversation about being elite. My point is, unless we give up, this team is a .500 team with any new competent coach. Even with average QB play.

Back
Top Bottom