Schefter: Miami's coaching search hotter than summer | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Schefter: Miami's coaching search hotter than summer

He says that Mike Tomlin has impressed the Dolphins and Steelers. I wonder about that, really. I love that he tutored under Monte Kiffin for five years and that he's not beholden to the cover two...but honestly, his mixed bag of coverages just didn't work for the Vikings, either.

It'd be one thing if it looked like Tomlin's Tampa Two that mixes up all the different other coverages worked really well for Minnesota...but they didn't. They had the worse pass D in the NFL, arguably.

He says that Mike Tomlin has impressed the Dolphins and Steelers. I wonder about that, really. I love that he tutored under Monte Kiffin for five years and that he's not beholden to the cover two...but honestly, his mixed bag of coverages just didn't work for the Vikings, either.

It'd be one thing if it looked like Tomlin's Tampa Two that mixes up all the different other coverages worked really well for Minnesota...but they didn't. They had the worse pass D in the NFL, arguably.

Indeed that stuff scares me, but still, look at Green Bay.
They hired McCarthy, who coached arguably the worst offense in the leage last year in San Fran and they made some strides this year.

Not exactly an endorsement, but I think we could certainly do alot worse.

Tomlin is a dark horse candidate in my opinion. I think he is probably a couple of years away from being a hot shot candidate for whatever position is open. I doubt he gets a shot this go round, however, I think he has the potential to be very good.

I think it is a great thing that he interviews so well too. That will help him find a HC job later down the road.

The article pretty much said that if he isnt gone this year, he is gone next. I wonder if the league could start seeing a youth infusion at HC spots.
The younger guys give off an aura of energy and enthusiasm, possibly relate better to players and average fans, gives excitement over the possibility of being a longterm coach etc.

but they also had no pass rush

with Tomlin, I think you've got to take into account that 1.They had almost no pass rush (I think they're leading sack man had 5) 2. After Greenway got hurt, they have one of the worst LB corps in the league (Henderson and Thomas have been awful, Leber and Harris are nothing special). 3.Dwight Smith signed with the team a week before the season.

Not making excuses, but if you can't get a pass rush, you're gonne struggle.

They had the worse pass D in the NFL, arguably.

for a so-called expert you missed the boat on this one

if you look more closely their pass defense was middle of the pack, not the worst

Minnesota's defense was one of the worst in the league so it was either Tomlin or the lack of corners they had.

average pass defense + best rush defense = most passing yards yielded

teams couldn't run on the Vikings so they passed alot

if you look at stats other than total yards, their pass defense wasn't the worst. their pass defense was just picked on alot and their pass rush was awful

now I know the Lions had the worst pass defense, they made Joey look like Joey Montana

I do not want Tomlin just for the simple fact that I rather have Capers if were gona go Defense for HC!

Back
Top Bottom