Schottenheimer favor's taking a quarterback with the first pick | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Schottenheimer favor's taking a quarterback with the first pick

CpuFan

Active Roster
Reaction score
Chargers staff looking for players who distinguish themselves this week
By Jim Trotter
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

January 24, 2004

During the week, Schottenheimer said he would favor taking a quarterback with the first pick if there is a "franchise" guy available and the move would help the organization. But will the Chargers go in that direction or will they try to trade down for more picks and players after failing to post a winning record in each of the last eight seasons?

Club officials maintain they're still doing their due diligence on Ole Miss' Manning and Miami of Ohio's Roethlisberger, quarterbacks who are said to possess excellent size and passing skills. Whatever decision is made, the Chargers can only hope it turns out better than previous years when they were faced with the quarterback issue at the top of the draft.

In 1983 they refused to part with three first-round picks for the right to select John Elway. In 1998 they traded two No. 1s, a No. 2 and two players to Arizona to select Ryan Leaf second overall, a move that backfired to the point that, according to some in the organization at the time, it contributed to the Chargers passing on a shot at Michael Vick three years ago with the top choice.

Schottenheimer said there will be plenty of time to address the Manning-Roethlisberger question, but for now he was more concerned with evaluating the players in the Senior Bowl. The reason: What the Chargers do with their second-and third-round picks could have as much impact as what they do with their first-rounder.

Read the rest at:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20040124-9999_1s24marty.html

Oh man...you don't think Marty would trade down and get extra picks and then steal Rivers from us do you? Something tells me he was REAL impressed at the senior bowl.....egadds.

I think the Chargers will take a WR....

They need a top shelf WR opposite Boston.

Just my opinion...

PHINZ RULE!!!

They will take Manning. If they don't, then Marty and AJ Smith will be crucified in San Diego.

You won't get fired for taking Manning, and that's what San Diego will do.

Yeah they have holes in alot of places, I can see them trading down for some more picks. But passing on Manning would be tough to swallow in S.D. especially with how Brees played this year.

Whats good is if they trade down we will know with enough time since it will happen before the draft and will know what pick they have afterwards so Danny boy and crew can pull off a trade up to get Rivers

Originally posted by Dbergan
Oh man...you don't think Marty would trade down and get extra picks and then steal Rivers from us do you? Something tells me he was REAL impressed at the senior bowl.....egadds.
That would be a disaster. But why chance it....maybe we should trade up to take Rivers higher than 20 to make sure we get him. Better safe than sorry.

this is what happens IMO:

1. SD takes Eli
2. Arizona takes Big Ben
3. Rivers next in line with a few teams pondering him at #10 and on. OUCH! Pittsburgh is what worries me. PLEASE PLEASE GOD! GIVES US RIVERS TO TAKE US TO THE SEA!

I think with his recent performance that it is VERY likely the Dolphins do not end up with Miami... especially with the amount of hype he has been getting in the press and everyone linking Miami to him.

If there is a team out there that wants him, and beleives he is worth a first-rounder... they WILL trade-up before Miami picks to take him.

Back
Top Bottom