Sclsu Mud Dogs Offseason Plan Part 1: Cuts/re-sign | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sclsu Mud Dogs Offseason Plan Part 1: Cuts/re-sign

I just don't agree, why do we need to keep any of them? I'd cut or trade every player mentioned except James. What's the point in keeping them, this team is years away from being competitive and when we are Jones, Wake, Sitton, Amendola etc won't be here anyway. Why bother wasting cap and snaps on declining short term vets when the foundation is rotten.

Jones is still a high end player but he is also 30 and our defensive roster is a mess. If you can get a decent pick for him and save cap, why not try find a young piece who will still be here by the time the entire DL etc has been overhauled.

I understand where your coming from, its only a question of how fast we transition over the roster. Already said Im for Jones leaving... some of the others- if the contracts aren’t that bad for another year and you go ahead and release them can we fill all those spots? Not getting it all in the draft, no way Im signing high priced FA to replace these guys.

They still have to attempt to field some sort of actual team that can play- at least I think so. They could just go all young players and young cheap FA I guess...

Were probably looking one awfully painful year to watch - Ok I mean I get the rebuild and higher picks et. but its brutal to watch abysmal football all year. Remember that year we only won one game-? Yuck

Last edited:
Reshad is just so damn good when used the right way, and I think in the new defense they could get creative using him. But I definitely get where you're coming from. Same with Kiko. We may be able to get a couple fourth round picks for them.
Jones will be spent by the time we are competitive

Jones will be spent by the time we are competitive
He was a good, not great, player, and his best years are probably behind him. He does have a propensity for making game altering plays at opportune times, but that contract was I'll advised. TJ is almost the same player, at a much lower cost.

I can't see anyone trading for him at this point. I dislike the practice of cutting a quality player, but, in this case, it is the right move in light of the apparent multi year plan.

I understand where your coming from, its only a question of how fast we transition over the roster. Already said Im for Jones leaving... some of the others- if the contracts aren’t that bad for another year and you go ahead and release them can we fill all those spots? Not getting it all in the draft, no way Im signing high priced FA to replace these guys.

They still have to attempt to field some sort of actual team that can play- at least I think so. They could just go all young players and young cheap FA I guess...

Were probably looking one awfully painful year to watch - Ok mean I get the rebuild and higher picks et. but its brutal to watch abysmal football all year. Remember that year we only won one game-? Yuck

I just think it comes down to a team “never” plans to tank for an entire season . . . .or put an abysmal product on the field. Brian Flores and Chris Grier are going to do their reasonable best to put a playoff product on the field. Now they both realize they could use a QB or more defense, etc. and Grier knows mortgaging the future for an 8-8 ceiling is a terrible approach so there is only so much rationializing they can do.

But contracts like Jones and even Ryan Tannehill . . . .large portions of the guaranteed money in the contract have already been paid out and the owner doesn’t necessarily look at the yearly cap number . . . .but the base number he has to pay that player for the year . . . .so to your point, its likely the turnover is not going to be as great as many expect but rather an approach that limits any new upfront money and allows deals to play out so the owner gets some value off of them. There is still a cap floor to reach of course.

I mean the ultimate approach would be roster a full team of under 30 guys, get rid of all bad contracts, reach the cap floor and roll over the rest . . . .draft loads of defense and OL this year, be terrible next year and draft the best QB in 2020 . . . .but no organization will ever willingly risk that type of bad press and potential alienation to the fanbase . . . It needs to happen organically.

But it would be the best way to attempt to turn around the most medicore team in all of sports over the last 30 years.

Amendola is not a cut. He's a restructure. That's one of the easier calls on our roster.

If you're bringing in ex-Pats, then who better to teach on the field than an ex-Pat who knows the coaches?

At his age, he is looking for job security to retire and pay the bills. Take that $6M and spread it into 2 years for $8M and do everyone a solid. You need his work ethic leading and teaching. You need his knowledge coaching. Managing him correctly could keep him around for a couple of years doing some quality mentoring. That has a lot of value for a team devoid of leadership.

Not all decisions are based strictly on numbers. This is one such.

And eat Ryan's contract this year. Stop spreading pain over time. If we are just going to roll it into next year, then do it now. Give this team a complete mental purge so January 1, 2020 it is a completely clean slate.

Were probably looking one awfully painful year to watch - Ok mean I get the rebuild and higher picks et. but its brutal to watch abysmal football all year. Remember that year we only won one game-? Yuck

Based on no evidence, I think a number of these 'could/should cuts' will be back, particularly those with 1-2 years left on the contract. People seem to underestimate how difficult it is to upgrade average players, and even harder to replace a LOT of them. The weak positions (e g., 2nd CB), yeah. That said, replacing high $/low performance guys is likely.

Makes a lot of sense. Didn't realize Quinn was making that much. He's one of those guys that maybe a good defensive coach could turn around. I think he's only 27. But, yes at that salary I would also move on. Not enough production there.

Agree with keeping James. With the talent on the defensive line in this draft it would be great for Miami to concentrate there. Having both Tunsil and James, plus Sitton coming back would really help the offensive line. Still a priority, but maybe third round on.

Amendola is not a cut. He's a restructure. That's one of the easier calls on our roster.

If you're bringing in ex-Pats, then who better to teach on the field than an ex-Pat who knows the coaches?

At his age, he is looking for job security to retire and pay the bills. Take that $6M and spread it into 2 years for $8M and do everyone a solid. You need his work ethic leading and teaching. You need his knowledge coaching. Managing him correctly could keep him around for a couple of years doing some quality mentoring. That has a lot of value for a team devoid of leadership.

And eat Ryan's contract this year. Stop spreading pain over time. If we are just going to roll it into next year, then do it now. Give this team a complete mental purge so January 1, 2020 it is a completely clean slate.

If the team is gonna be bad, I think the biggest positive from a bad season is having moved on from Ryan Tannehill.

You want ultimate outrage, start Ryan Tannehill and be 6-10 with a typical Ryan Tannehill sub 20 point offense.

I mean you have to cut bait here, from a team and PR perspective IMO.

And I would not bring Amendola back . . . .slot guys are growing on trees out there. Get you a young cheap one and move on.

I just think it comes down to a team “never” plans to tank for an entire season . . . .or put an abysmal product on the field. Brian Flores and Chris Grier are going to do their reasonable best to put a playoff product on the field. Now they both realize they could use a QB or more defense, etc. and Grier knows mortgaging the future for an 8-8 ceiling is a terrible approach so there is only so much rationializing they can do.

But contracts like Jones and even Ryan Tannehill . . . .large portions of the guaranteed money in the contract have already been paid out and the owner doesn’t necessarily look at the yearly cap number . . . .but the base number he has to pay that player for the year . . . .so to your point, its likely the turnover is not going to be as great as many expect but rather an approach that limits any new upfront money and allows deals to play out so the owner gets some value off of them. There is still a cap floor to reach of course.

I mean the ultimate approach would be roster a full team of under 30 guys, get rid of all bad contracts, reach the cap floor and roll over the rest . . . .draft loads of defense and OL this year, be terrible next year and draft the best QB in 2020 . . . .but no organization will ever willingly risk that type of bad press and potential alienation to the fanbase . . . It needs to happen organically.

But it would be the best way to attempt to turn around the most medicore team in all of sports over the last 30 years.
"Tanking", to some, has the connotation of losing individual games on purpose. I don't think that happens, but I also do not think Grier, and co do everything in their power to field a playoff team next year either.

When you build your dream house, you don't start with landscaping. Your first step is a solid foundation (think O-line/D-line).

Having a methodical, multi year plan is not " tanking", its building.

I know many here want a quick fix, but I don't believe that is realistic. I had run out of patience with Gase, but if the plan is what I think it is, I will take the butt kickings next year.

I would do something similar with Sitton. He's a 4-time Pro Bowler(latest 2 yrs ago) and an All-Pro 3yrs ago. RG and C are already needs, depending on what happens with James there might be 3 holes on the line. No need to create a 4th at LG, even in a rebuild.

I like the thinking with DA. Makes sense. He is a more than adequate possession receiver, that can mentor younger guys on the importance of precision routes. Ppl may say that's what coaches are for, but a guy that has been there, done that shouldn't be underestimated.

RT is a different situation to me. To cut him, only to bring in a FA with a similar cost would be silly IMO.

If, on the other hand, Grier plans on playing a young cheap QB, then by all means cut RT, and clean up that portion of the cap debacle.

All this thoughts about what to do to get better.
Not really that difficult....at least the first few steps....
1st. do whatever to get Murray or Haskins, yes whatever...
2nd. Has to be to fortify and upgrade the OL...reason ?, because we want our new QB around for years to come... First two areas a must to upgrade...
Hopefully the FO wisely moves on from high priced guys we have that will not be around when actually needed..
Though possibly keeping a older Sitton for quality QB protection which should be of significant concern by organization..and looking into maybe a RG Ted Karras, a Patriot backup with starting qualities and 26, that there also should be some familiarity with by X pats coaches......Just a general view of the direction I'm hoping for and anxious to see how Grier and Co. actually see things...

All this thoughts about what to do to get better.
Not really that difficult....at least the first few steps....
1st. do whatever to get Murray or Haskins, yes whatever...
2nd. Has to be to fortify and upgrade the OL...reason ?, because we want our new QB around for years to come... First two areas a must to upgrade...
Hopefully the FO wisely moves on from high priced guys we have that will not be around when actually needed..
Though possibly keeping a older Sitton for quality QB protection which should be of significant concern by organization..and looking into maybe a RG Ted Karras, a Patriot backup with starting qualities and 26, that there also should be some familiarity with by X pats coaches......Just a general view of the direction I'm hoping for and anxious to see how Grier and Co. actually see things...
I'm a no on Murray, and a maybe on Haskins, if he's there at 13. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I could understand it.

There is no realistic way to fix both sides of the line, and draft a top QB prospect in one off season.

I'm more in favor of waiting on QB, and solving some other issues first.

Now, if they were to get a guy with big upside in rd 3/4, I wouldn't have any problem with that.

Asiata was another overaged poor evaluation. There had to be young guys with superior athletic ability and upside available. Miami continues to botch the basics. Then once you take the low percentage route and it is failing, don't hang on to false hope.

I would not sign Xavien Howard for that type of money. He was not elite in high school or college. Far too much danger he's not what we think he is. When a peer like Hopkins is scoffing at the name, he's not kidding and doesn't have a personal grudge. He is accurately reflecting how Xavien Howard is viewed by guys who have been in that elite tier throughout. Hopkins was a 4-star recruit with bigtime offers everywhere. Then a first round pick. Guys like that know when a pretender is falsely elevated to equivalency.

It is basic playground pecking order. You call your own fouls and you know who gets picked first and who gets picked last. Then the suited guys are allowed to come in and paid big bucks to screw up the perspective.

Tunsil is a different matter. He's a 5-star recruit and considered among the top dozen or so players in the country, regardless of position. Likewise out of college he would have been picked within the top handful. You pay that type. Don't make this overly complicated.

Agree. I still see no tank nor major rebuild. More likely a slow rebuild over 3 years. There'll be some standard turnover for a new HC and '19 will be used to see what talent can be used to build a team. It's reasonable to expect some heavy contracts to be eliminated and I expect some of that. And I expect obvious scheme changes like actually making an effort to get Wilson and grant open.

Back
Top Bottom