Sclsu Mud Dogs Offseason Plan Part 1: Cuts/re-sign | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sclsu Mud Dogs Offseason Plan Part 1: Cuts/re-sign

Asiata was another overaged poor evaluation. There had to be young guys with superior athletic ability and upside available. Miami continues to botch the basics. Then once you take the low percentage route and it is failing, don't hang on to false hope.

I would not sign Xavien Howard for that type of money. He was not elite in high school or college. Far too much danger he's not what we think he is. When a peer like Hopkins is scoffing at the name, he's not kidding and doesn't have a personal grudge. He is accurately reflecting how Xavien Howard is viewed by guys who have been in that elite tier throughout. Hopkins was a 4-star recruit with bigtime offers everywhere. Then a first round pick. Guys like that know when a pretender is falsely elevated to equivalency.

It is basic playground pecking order. You call your own fouls and you know who gets picked first and who gets picked last. Then the suited guys are allowed to come in and paid big bucks to screw up the perspective.

Tunsil is a different matter. He's a 5-star recruit and considered among the top dozen or so players in the country, regardless of position. Likewise out of college he would have been picked within the top handful. You pay that type. Don't make this overly complicated.

Hopkins only did that for the week of the game.

Tank said Hopkins had a high opinion on Howard the very next day when asked. He even said something similar at a Clemson function 2 years ago I visited. Stop trying to spin this.

It'd be nice if we could get something for Kiko and Jones and I'd take anything. Neither will ever have more value than they do right now. Those contracts don't get any better and I'd put good money on their best playing days being behind them. It should go without saying that neither have any place in a rebuild, if that's where this is heading.

I'm assuming you're on the bring Sitton back train. I'm aboard just because there is ALWAYS a Tedd Larsen type that manages playing time inside and gets absolutely destroyed. Him and Davis are somewhere to start, at least (although I'd toy with the idea of switching Davis back out to RT and have James kick rocks ... but that's just me).

Nice job.

Then your a fool, you'd never make any sort of football decisions trading starting talent for crumbs

My take is there are 2 fundamental ways to look at the "roster rebuild/reload" process.

#1 -- we go all in for youth (and corresponding $$$ savings) which means we aggressively purge the roster of 30+ (except maybe #20) and in the process establish a clear pipeline to the tank... Point is -- you do NOT have to try and lose games in a deliberate (premeditated) fashion. The losses will come as a natural byproduct of an aggressive youth movement and "development first" philosophy. This is what I expect.

#2 -- we attempt to "straddle" (or bridge) the past and future by only executing #1 above partially and that means roster decisions will be made more on an immediate sense than future upside (including the "benefits" of losing a LOT).

My take, I fully expect an aggressive youth movement with very few exceptions to the basic rule. That said, the few young (ascending) *stars* we have need to be priorities to keep in the fold otherwise we're just going in circles...

My take is there are 2 fundamental ways to look at the "roster rebuild/reload" process.

#1 -- we go all in for youth (and corresponding $$$ savings) which means we aggressively purge the roster of 30+ (except maybe #20) and in the process establish a clear pipeline to the tank... Point is -- you do NOT have to try and lose games in a deliberate (premeditated) fashion. The losses will come as a natural byproduct of an aggressive youth movement and "development first" philosophy. This is what I expect.

#2 -- we attempt to "straddle" (or bridge) the past and future by only executing #1 above partially and that means roster decisions will be made more on an immediate sense than future upside (including the "benefits" of losing a LOT).

My take, I fully expect an aggressive youth movement with very few exceptions to the basic rule. That said, the few young (ascending) *stars* we have need to be priorities to keep in the fold otherwise we're just going in circles...
I agree, #1 is what they are preaching and it's what mostly I expect.
At the same time I could be talked into keeping guys like Amendola or Sitton, I believe both are only signed for 2019 and could "bridge the gap" to their replacements. If we had young guys under them that can play, fine. But there will be more holes throughout the roster than they can fill in one offseason as it is and the money isn't going to change much in the long run.

If they draft a qb in the first than the build is going.. if not they better tank the qb situation because Tyrod Taylor might win us 6 games

Thanks for putting the effort into this man, great stuff.

Couple of points:

I don't see the point in designating Tannehill as a post June 1st cut. The benefit of doing so is taking a lesser dead cap hit in 2019, but as yoou said, we are not going to be big FA players in 2019, so we don't need to concern ourselves too much with dead cap space. Cutting pre June 1, means 2020 is then dead cap free for us, we aren't still on the hook for Tannehill next year, we can start putting more things around whomever is our QB.

I'm torn on James, got a feeling he'll ask a lot of money to stay, and may in the end price himself out of staying. Miami have to be careful and not get suckered in to overpaying for a good but not great performer who isn't always able to play.

I'm certainly looking to trade Kiko and Jones, they are just not the right age and have some trade value to be part of a rebuild. Can see amendola sticking around which would be a mistake, because of his Pats background, when GM, HC and OC are ex Pats, that's gonna help him.

I like the thinking with DA. Makes sense. He is a more than adequate possession receiver, that can mentor younger guys on the importance of precision routes. Ppl may say that's what coaches are for, but a guy that has been there, done that shouldn't be underestimated.

RT is a different situation to me. To cut him, only to bring in a FA with a similar cost would be silly IMO.

If, on the other hand, Grier plans on playing a young cheap QB, then by all means cut RT, and clean up that portion of the cap debacle.

It is one thing to hear a coach citing the need for technique and becoming tuned out over the noise of practice.

It is quite another to see the guy in front of you put on a clinic during practice day after day while also eating your lunch doing it.

You need not just messengers, but executioners of the message.

The Frank Gore's of the world establish and remind those around them that professionalism is not just a hobby, it is a way of life. LIfe, eat and breathe your craft to a level of excellence that intimidates and inspires those around you to either equal your discipline or stand back and watch in admiration. Amendola has similar ferocity and discipline in his professionalism.

Excellent plan. Re-signing Howard and Tunsil is vital. Two crucial and hard-to-get positions locked up long term is a great foundation. If we're tanking, we need to move on from Tannehill … he's too good to tank. Whether it's cut to save cap or trade for picks, we're not going to get a top 3 pick with a healthy Tannehill under center.

Whether it's in year 1 (2019 season) or year 2 (offseason before 2020 season), I think more of those peripheral players will be sent packing as well. New coaches always wash away the mark of the previous coaching staff.

I just hope we don't screw up the tanking plan and try to draft a "future" QB in 2019 or try to compete for the playoffs in 2019. If you're going to tank … do it right.

James is gonna get a hell of a lot more than 9mm a year.

If he does I am not so sure the guaranteed money is gonna match the deal from a percentage standpoint.

He’s missed 18 of his last 48 potential games played and he plays the lesser “premium position” from the tackle spot.

I think 4/40 probably reflects the UFA status and rising cap the best and would place him 2nd on the AAV list of right tackles.

It is hard for me to imagine a 5/60 deal here with a 40% guarantee but the rising cap is not one to underestimate.

**edit** I made a mistake, he has missed 18 of his last 64 games, including half a season in 2015 and 2017. Still enough to make me feel a bit uneasy on dishing out significant guaranteed money. Wonder if someone tries to make him a LT.

Last edited:
Hopkins only did that for the week of the game.

Tank said Hopkins had a high opinion on Howard the very next day when asked. He even said something similar at a Clemson function 2 years ago I visited. Stop trying to spin this.
Dude, sit on your barstool and listen to the man... Cause you know back in the 80s on his vegas radio show, he was laughing with his buddies at all you adjusters... Everyone knows the only important metric in evaluating NFL players is how well they played in high school...

If he does I am not so sure the guaranteed money is gonna match the deal from a percentage standpoint.

He’s missed 18 of his last 48 potential games played and he plays the lesser “premium position” from the tackle spot.

I think 4/40 probably reflects the UFA status and rising cap the best and would place him 2nd on the AAV list of right tackles.

It is hard for me to imagine a 5/60 deal here with a 40% guarantee but the rising cap is not one to underestimate.

I think the minimum he gets is 4/42, but probably closer to 46 or 48.

The 4/48mm would be perfectly fine if it's based on his playtime because I agree he simply misses too much time. Softy

I would honestly think somewhere between the most recent Bobbie Massie contract signed over the weekend and Rickie Wagner will be somewhere around he would fall. That would be between 8 and 9.5 million per and I would be comfortable there.

Back
Top Bottom