Sclsu Mud Dogs Offseason Plan Part 1: Cuts/re-sign | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sclsu Mud Dogs Offseason Plan Part 1: Cuts/re-sign

James is gonna get a hell of a lot more than 9mm a year.
I see Ju'Wuan James as one of the more interesting litmus tests once our coaching staff is in place. As @Mach2 points out, coaches tend to want to do everything they can to win, so even if tanking is the plan … it will be interesting to see how committed we are to it. If we're really tanking, we can replace a RT, and letting James go helps our cap long term and our tanking short term. If we re-sign James to a typically Miami contract (AKA overpaying for injury-prone or mediocre players) then it likely means that we're maybe not trying to tank, despite the rhetoric. See, a GM and coach probably don't take much convincing to tell the boss they'll tank, and then try to win. If they fail, hey, we were following the tanking plan! If they succeed, hey we're awesome! The place where it all breaks down is when they end up being mediocre … not quite bad enough to get that QB and not quite good enough to build a dominant team. You know, that Purgatory that the Dolphins have called home for a long time now.

I see Ju'Wuan James as one of the more interesting litmus tests once our coaching staff is in place. As @Mach2 points out, coaches tend to want to do everything they can to win, so even if tanking is the plan … it will be interesting to see how committed we are to it. If we're really tanking, we can replace a RT, and letting James go helps our cap long term and our tanking short term. If we re-sign James to a typically Miami contract (AKA overpaying for injury-prone or mediocre players) then it likely means that we're maybe not trying to tank, despite the rhetoric. See, a GM and coach probably don't take much convincing to tell the boss they'll tank, and then try to win. If they fail, hey, we were following the tanking plan! If they succeed, hey we're awesome! The place where it all breaks down is when they end up being mediocre … not quite bad enough to get that QB and not quite good enough to build a dominant team. You know, that Purgatory that the Dolphins have called home for a long time now.
He is quoted today as saying he is looking forward to free agency. Personally I'm ok walking away from him and picking up a 3rd round pick in next year's draft.

The Josh Sitton cut is the one that just makes me look at it, shake my head, and say "****."

I disagree with that. First of all, Phins are thin at DE as it is. From that standpoint I do not think they can afford to just scrap the roster at that spot to bare minimum.

Second, Quinn performed as well as Wake. He had 6.5 sacks and a good number of tackles. That is similar to Ingram, Vernon, Suggs. it's not marginal -- it's a good contribution.
He is a little overpaid, I don't know, by 3-4 mil, but whatever. I don't think it's wise to scrap roster at that spot just because of 3-4 mil overpayment.

That would be great, and I would offer that. But Jawuan held the team for a franchise tag last offseason, which pays significantly more than that per year. There is a good chance he will want to test the FA market for most money.

No way. That is serious over valuing of players. Additionally, no way should they negotiate "maximum," "highest paid" type contracts "early."
Those things are done when they hit free agency if the team wants them at that time! But not early. Nobody should ever rush to dishout unreasonable "highest paid" contract!!! No way!

They are getting new coaching staff. They absolutely should not tie their hands with unwise max contracts now before they had a chance to play them and evaluate. Let them evaluate for a season, those guys are on roster for this upcoming season, and make the decision later.
And if those guys at that time want max contracts, then let them test the FA market, they are competitors, that's how you get the max money.
The reason the Rams let Quinn go was he was not well suited for a 3/4 as a stand-up rushing OLB. He was a hand on the ground DE coming out of college and the Rams didn't utilize him in a way to get the most out of him when they switched their D philosophy. With Miami putting him back at his natural position this year, you've seen the best of what you're gonna get from him with his hand down. If as rumored, we change to a 3/4 for some hybrid form of that, Quinn will once again be not be playing to his strengths and be out of position again. I say his days are numbered.

It'd be nice if we could get something for Kiko and Jones and I'd take anything. Neither will ever have more value than they do right now. Those contracts don't get any better and I'd put good money on their best playing days being behind them. It should go without saying that neither have any place in a rebuild, if that's where this is heading.

I'm assuming you're on the bring Sitton back train. I'm aboard just because there is ALWAYS a Tedd Larsen type that manages playing time inside and gets absolutely destroyed. Him and Davis are somewhere to start, at least (although I'd toy with the idea of switching Davis back out to RT and have James kick rocks ... but that's just me).

Nice job.

Not saying it's not a possibility, but I think it would not be smart to get rid of either of your two most consistent tacklers unless the cap would be to much to handle. Both of those guys also play extremely hard, and that is what this defense needs more of, not less.

Not saying it's not a possibility, but I think it would not be smart to get rid of either of your two most consistent tacklers unless the cap would be to much to handle. Both of those guys also play extremely hard, and that is what this defense needs more of, not less.

That’s why they call it “managed decline”.

That’s why they call it “managed decline”.

That's the problem, get rid of your two most consistent tacklers, and it no longer is managed decline, but just plain decline, which would create two more big holes that could add even more time to find sufficient talent to take over for them.

I know what you're saying, and yes, the quote "Sometimes you need to take a step back, before you can take two steps forward." is true in a sense, but if you make too many holes on your team, fixing the talent enough to compete in 2-3 years will become much tougher, and could mean Miami in that time will be looking for yet another HC with the short patience shown for not competing instantly.

Typically I'd agree but there are ready made replacements already on the roster. Neither will be missed ... but they might hurt what you want to do going forward.

I regards to James, I can’t name one member of the Patriots OL. Keeping Tunsil is mandatory but is it so got damn hard to find a RT?

Yes if they are tanking for Tua, who's a lefty. That means Cody Ford at 13. It seems, if Tua is the goal.

so very Dolphin to draft a LH QB after finally getting a quality LT.

what a dumb goal BTW. when we are picking 3rd and the team picking first has no intention of trading I will LMFAO
I suppose Ross watched the Colts do it and thought it was a sure fire strategy

Back
Top Bottom