Scott Pioli on Hunter Long | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Scott Pioli on Hunter Long

Pitts will be a pro bowl receiver, flawed argument by Pioli.
Agree with that if his playing ability transfers to the NFL. Still think going to Falcons isn't ideal for him. He will still be on a losing team next season imo.

Love how some of the loudest people that are crying about missing out on Kyle Pitts, are upset that we drafted a TE in the third round when it wasn't a need.
Most people wanting Pitts saw him as a TE/WR prospect. A once in a generation talent. Hunter Long is not that. But go on big brain. I know Finheaven gives the forum to feel superior.

Interesting quote from an actual pro scout and not a message board expert who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Lol

Glad you phrased it this way, cause, you know, it’s not as if Pioli or any other “pro scout” have ever been wrong before. Or that the weekend warrior fan has never been right.

This type of attitude and argumentative tactic are just ridiculously short sighted.

Case in point. MIA has had “actual pro scouts” working for them the past few decades and they’ve badly missed on a majority of their draft selections. Same is true for numerous other poorly run franchises.

Meanwhile there have been numerous members of this board over that time that have shown themselves to be better at identifying and ranking talent.

The “message board expert” dismissive diatribe is tired. And flawed.

Not only that, this place is largely anonymous. You have no idea who is on the other end of the handle. In many cases it’s a 15 year old in his mom’s basement. But from time to time it very well could be an actual pro scout or someone affiliated that isn’t going to tell you so for obvious reasons. Those people read and use the internet too. And some of them are junkies that love to talk football with anyone, anywhere, any time.

Loved your write-up.

The thing about Waddle is he's not just an explosive speed receiver. He tracks the ball well, runs good routes, is tough, catches in a crowd. In other words, he's the entire package. I am so excited to see him in Miami.

The Dolphins went from bottom third in the league at wide receiver, to potentially top third with the free agent signing of Fuller and drafting Waddle.

I really wanted Williams, but if Miami prioritized him they had the picks to make it happen. Especially when you see Grier aggressively trading up for Eichenberg.

Center is interesting. There's a part of me that wonders if Flores likes Deiter there. He played pretty well in limited snaps. Miami had opportunities to get a center and passed.

As to Holland, fantastic pick. Missing on Williams didn't hurt so much after that.

Can't wait for the season now.
I think you might be right about the FO opinion of Deiter and C.

I like Pioli - he's had some nice takes on GMFB

That said, he's not without faults. Look at his draft picks and the records of that KC team after he took over as GM there. The Draft is like gambling.....even the best guys miss 50% of the time. Everyone sees the tape a little different and that's what makes it so fun. I appreciate his input just as i'd appreciate another scout/GM thinking Long was the 6th rated TE.

Belichick will go down as the greatest coach ever and he's had some horrible drafts. I would bet he thought he was right on every single pick.

Love how some of the loudest people that are crying about missing out on Kyle Pitts, are upset that we drafted a TE in the third round when it wasn't a need.
Had nothing to do with the tight end position...it was missing out on the greatest mismatch receiving threat in the draft and a freak unicorn!!!

Hybrids seem to flex better on D than on O.

TEs might get away with lining up on the OL then flexing to slot presnap, but it doesn't take long for that TE to become predictable at his strength. At that point the D can scheme him correctly and he either wins the matchup 1on1 or not. Most hybrid TE are still solely pass catchers used in matchup. Where as a real hybrid TE could be an above average blocker giving true RPO options at the LOS.

Hybrid D players can float all around the LOS and find matchups that work best for them. Not to mention hybrid S/CB and DE/LB offer scheme flexibility and can stay on the field longer.

O hybrids really don't have as much value as D hybrids.

Hope he's right. Weird shot at Pitts.
I didn’t read it as a shot at Pitts because everyone one here who wanted Pitts wrote about the skill set he has to play any position as a receiver.Yet he isn’t the blocker that you usually equate with the TE position.
Long is a TE who can block and run standard TE routes but he certainly isn’t capable of being used the way Pitts can be used in an offense. So I took it as Pioli was comparing Long to the TE’s who play the position the way we expect the TE position to be played. Pitts on the other hand has the skills to play the position at a completely different level.

Interesting quote from an actual pro scout and not a message board expert who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Lol

He should be fired immediately for statements like that!! Lmao. Who was he a scout for, clevland the last 30 years? He was obviously fired about 2 years ago when they started making good picks finally.

Bro... there's good scouts and bad scouts. Just cuz they're scouts doesn't mean they're good

Back
Top Bottom